Need New Brakes

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by project_d, Jan 21, 2009.

1. project_d

project_d Steve Peat Wannabe

I work in a wine shop, so I get paid to drink...ni
    I think I'm about to break down and get some new brakes. They will go on either my Nomad or my M3, so they will most def see some DH action. I want to get peoples opinions on these brakes, if people have used them for DH or FR, what they think of them. The choices are:

Avid Elixir R:
    Intended Use: Cross Country, Trail, All-Mountain, Freeride, Downhill
    Special Features: Caliper Positioning System, Power Reserve Geometry, Ambidextrous, Split Clamp/Matchmaker Compatible, Drip-Free Bleeding, Two-Piece Caliper, Top Loading Pads
    System: Two Piston, Open system
    Rotor: G3 Clean Sweep 165, 185, 203
    Fluid: Dot 5.1
    Weight: 375 grams with Carbon blade (160mm rotor; front post mount)
    [​IMG]

Avid Code:
    Intended Use: Freeride, Downhill
    Special Features: Center-Mount Pad Contact-Point Adjustment, Three-cartridge- bearing lever pivot, Two-piece lever with cam breakaway, Upfront access reach adjustment, Aluminum cam, Magnesium lever body, Four-piston caliper, Anchored brake pads, Tri-Align Caliper Positioning System, Power Reserve GeometryTM, Center-mount adjustable banjo, Ambidextrous, Split Clamp/MatchMakerTM compatible, Drip-free bleeding
    Rotor Sizes: G2 Clean Sweep 160 185 203mm
    Fluid: Dot 4
    Weight: 449 grams (160mm rotor; front post mount)
    [​IMG]

Hayes Stroker Ace:
    The Stroker Trail improves on the Ryde in a number of ways, beginning with an indexed, tool-free reach-adjust dial that makes setup a snap. The caliper features an adjustable banjo for tight, snag-free hose routing, plus Hayes' signature tool-free pad removal. The Stroker Trail also boasts a greater hydraulic ratio than the Ryde, for enhanced stopping power and modulation.
    Usage: XC, AM, FR (I've seen a few people with these on their DH bikes, I just don't know how they'll hold up to a 185lb rider).
    Weight: 406g (inc. 160mm rotor + hardware)
    [​IMG]

So...whaddyathink???:?:

2. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

I was a Shimano hater for years, but the 2008 XTs are the best brakes I've ever owned. Great power and modulation and none of the finicky performance or squealing i get with the Juicys on my other bike. As far as downhill capability goes, I'm not a true DHer, but I weigh 185 without gear and have used these brakes on several 7- to 9-run days at Summit without any issues.

3. RazoR

RazoR New Member

I feel like the juicy's have no or little modulation, anyone agree? Awesome stopping power, but make my bike all hurky jerky when I'm just trying to scrub speed....

4. AHARDBALL

AHARDBALL New Member

ive got the elixirs on my dh bike. i love them. great stopping power with great modulation. just my two cents ;)

5. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

Sometimes. Really depends on the day. My Juicys are super unpredictable, which is the main reason I can't wait to replace them with another set of XTs.

6. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

of those: elixers if you're lighter weight/not super aggressive.

codes if you're heavier or need more power

I don't generally like hayes brakes, but just me

other options:
    2008+ XT's are really nice. for DH I'd rock the 2009 saints (4 pot) without any qualms. great lever feel, power, and adjustability. plus everyone carries shimano making parts easier to get.

if you wanna spend some more money, I'd say formulas (oro's for lighter duty, ones for full DH, mega for the budget full DH)

another option is hopes. being the most expensive, iunno if you'd want them. the new hope Tech M4's look REALLY nice, and even older style m4's are suppoed to be great.

7. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

The stopping power of the Codes is great. I simply replaced them with the 09 Saints, so I can share service parts and materials (other than pads, damn it!) between different bikes.

Although I really like the Shimano brakes, they feel of the levers suck when the weather is really cold (sub 20 degrees).

8. ericfoltz

ericfoltz Active Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    Just a pitch for Avid durability.

I just had to replace the rear caliper on my Juicy 7's after 10,000+ miles over the last three years all over the country in all conditions. That's pretty good in my opinion.

The front is still going strong.

9. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    good point Lee, as the weather consideration is a real problem for most of us, especially lately :) or do you mean 20 degrees Celsius?

10. project_d

And that's a good point to bring up, which is why I don't want to go the juicy way. I'd like to able to lock up the rear when needed, but modulation is key!

11. richie_rich

richie_rich Dusty Dirt Devil

Home Page:
    I have the Elixir CR on my Heckler and absolutely love them. They are light in weight, but definitely not in stopping power. Of the brakes I run, Juicy 3's, XT's, and Hayes 9's - The CR's are by far the stopping power leader.

12. project_d

Yeah, Juicy 3s and Hayes 9s aren't strong at all. If the Elixirs are at least as strong as the XTs, then that might be the way to go, especially seeing as they're almost half the price of the Codes....still thinking though.

13. ericfoltz

ericfoltz Active Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    Try organic pads on the rear.

14. simonmtb

simonmtb Digging for fun.

riding my bike and cooking dinner for the wife
    Got some codes on my SC Bullit. I really like them, as they seem to have more modulation than Juicy 7s aswell a more stopping power.
    The Juicy 3s, 5s and 7s are pretty good too but I have had some issues with vibration and squealing when wet.

15. chongoblanco

chongoblanco Banned

none i get my check on the 1st!
    If your a larger rider stay away from j 5, 7, or 3's I have not tried the elixer brakes i hear they re good but the taper of the lever sticks out too far and sram does not do crash replacement on the levers if they start leaking.

If you are going to drop money on formulas, just buy hope's instead, they come in kits and are easier to get parts for than formula, and weight is the same.

the new saints are nice.

codes work well to they are heavy and have bleeding problems though.

If your low on cash like me check around for 08 saints, used hope m4's

For dh dont go cheap on your brakes, of the ones you have up there i would say go with the codes, just buy different pads thought, they come with organic pads and wear out quick.

16. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Come on! This is America! Isn't it obvious that we'd be up to speed with the rest of the world? Well...sadly we're not: 20 degrees Fahrenheit. Although you can start feeling the cold in the brake lever operation at sub freezing, too.

While most of us don't ride in that cold of temperatures, in the past 6 months, I've been riding at sub freezing temps at Thunder Mountain, Gooseberry Mesa, Moab, Sedona. I'm not looking forward to the top of Mammoth at closing weekend on my DH bike this year. I had Codes on my last trip, but this year I'll have the Saints. #-o

17. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

I have elixir R's on my nomad... LOVE EM!

18. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I used to use Juicy 7s on my M3. They worked very well. Not as good as Codes, though.

My 08 Codes are a tad lighter than my 09 Saints. I weighed them. I did not weigh the rotors, though.

Codes do not inherently have bleeding problems. Some people inherently have problems bleeding Codes (or any hydraulic brake).

19. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    yeah, if i were starting from scratch on a manly AM to DH bike I would default to Saints to be honest. I like my Formulas but do not believe they could possibly be worth the xtra cost

20. Von-Diggity

Von-Diggity Moderator

unoccupied
    Home Page:
    I have some Hope's on my Nomad with 180mm rotors. Good modulation, ultra powerful, but pricey. I also have some 2008 XT's and they work really well, I'd give them a shot.