Nature at its best

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by JamR, Aug 3, 2005.

1. JamR

JamR Moderator

Senior Planning & Field Operations Manager
    Nature at its best, but it’s making me think twice about my trail work habits.

Went out to Trabuco Trail on Sunday, and was planning on doing a ride and some trail work (trimming back some P.O.) on the Trabuco Trail. Rode down the Trabuco Creek trail from O’Neill Park with a couple of friends, but I got pretty far ahead of them once we hit the single-track at the end of Trabuco Creek Road. They were planning to turn around before West Horsethief, and I was going on to work on the Trabuco Trail. (P.O. is head high in places right now)

When I got about ¼ mile from the bottom of West Horsethief I spotted a lion with a small juvenile mule deer in its mouth, dragging it across the creek bed away from the trail. 8-[ Was not too concerned at the time but also knew it was not a place to hang around for long, so I walked backwards back down the trail dragging my bike between myself and the lion; then rode back and turned my two friends and 4 hikers around.

Just a note to everyone to be careful out there and be aware of your surroundings. We ride in some secluded wilderness areas and wildlife is all around us. It was a fantastic site and one that I’ll remember forever, but in hindsight; spending a few hours trimming back P.O. alone on a secluded trail was not the best plan.

Just keep your eyes and ears open while out on the trails and appreciate the nature that surrounds us, but definitely give it the respect that it’s due.

I’m planning to go back out there this Sunday to do some P.O. trimming but would like to have some company.

If anyone is interested let me know.

2. JamR

JamR Moderator

Ps......I figure I'll be safe as long as I'm a faster rider/runner than the others out there with me :)

3. Von-Diggity

Von-Diggity Moderator

unoccupied
    Home Page:
    Survival of the fittest! Surprisingly, I came across a bobcat at Tunrbull canyon in Whittier. It was on the main fireroad on the way to the 7th street loop. I came around a corner, and as soon as it spotted me, it took off down the side of the trail. Kinda cool to see wildlife living in such proximity to people.

matt

4. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
    Crazy story Adam! I guess it was good thing it already had some food in its mouth :lol:

What time/day/where are you planning on doing some more maintenance?

5. JamR

JamR Moderator

If I can find someone to help that morning, I plan on parking at O'neill at 7:00 am near the nature center parking lot; then ride to Trabuco Trail to do some trimming. I'd like to be done and back to the park by 11:00 or so.

6. ocrider

ocrider New Member

College student/USFS Ranger/Mountain bike Racer
    Home Page:
    ill see if i can go
    i saw a bear and a cub in yosemite on saturday when i was returning from half dome.

7. i am dino

i am dino Guest

That is amazing that you got to see that Adam! Too bad you didnt have a camera with you, but Im sure even if you did that taking a photo would have been the last thing on your mind. We are all glad that you and everyone else were not harmed.

8. JamR

JamR Moderator

I usually do carry a camera, but with the exception of getting shots of rattlesnakes and some deer, I've never been able to catch a lion, bobcat or coyote with my camera.

I don't think I was at any great risk at the time since she was moving away from across the creek. I think that continuing up the trail would have been a mistake since that would have put me closer to her and would have left me with no viable escape route.

All in all I always feel pretty safe out on the trails and have always done 95% of my riding alone and will continue to do so. I'm just thinking that in areas like the Trabuco trail, it's probably not wise of me to be out there alone doing trail work, since just the action of doing trail work on a narrow singletrack puts you in a perfect position to be prey (ie....on a narrow secluded trail with your back to one side of the trail, and bent over much of the time clearly not focused on what's behind you).

I've never felt any feeling of danger while actually biking, except for the numerous self-inflicted dangers and bonehead moves on my part; but I can't blame any wild creatures for that :)

This is the third time I've been lucky enough to catch a glimpse of a lion in the Santa Ana's; and I consider myself very fortunate for the experiences.