My Socom Build

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Julia12, Jan 21, 2009.

1. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

That cage thingy that moves the chain from one of those gear things to the other gear thing is the same for E-mail type and frame-mount type. The cage is the guiding light.

2. BFloFoxRider.

BFloFoxRider. Active Member

Army
    Julia, since you are racing 4x this weekend, you should bring your frame and parts with you, i have a stand and some tools i can bring, and i'm sure there would be about 10 STR people that would also overlook and teach you how to do things.
    i also have a makeshift headset press that will work pretty well, if you cant find a headset press.
    maybe if you pm me a list of parts you still need i can see what i can hook you up with.
    maybe if we can get it together in time, you can race downhill this weekend :wave:

julia, also PM me, i can hook you up with the paint job for the lowers, if powdercoating is ok?
    you would just have to bring me the lowers this weekend..
    or give them to me sometime after the race..
    i can get them stripped, and powdercoated for you :wave:

Edit: i may have some nice single ring cranks i could loan you if you wanna race downhill this weekend?

3. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

two things:

go 1x9. so much more simple and you aren't going to need a granny ring for this bike. its for going down. fast. I almost think that 1x9 is the way to go on a lot of bikes. just makes things easier

second:
    Brandon's idea is excellent. bring your build with you to fontana. whoever is off taking a break from practice/racing can swing by and help you out with whatever part. with any luck, somebody will hook you up with a drivetrain and you can race on sunday ;)

4. hebby

hebby Member

Redondo Beach, a Sunny Place for Shady People
    You're 13 and got a new Socom...I am jealous. Good luck on the build, putting your bike together makes it much more rewarding when you ride it.

5. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

In reguards to running a Dual ring on a Socom, Yes it can be done, and ye sits trouble free, and no its not a jerry rig setup either.

The best way I have seen/done is with the problem solvers cable stop, and the E13 DRS with the etype backplate.

The only other option would be to use the problem solvers<or other type. clamp on cable stop, and a reglar derailer derailer. I am not fond of this setup, I already dont like having the cable stop on the seat tube, but the derailer is another item being clamped onto a tube that designed NOT to have anything clamped around it.

For the record, I belive the Socom to be an excellent choice for an all around long travel bike. It is also my understanding that the new socoms will have a different geo that is much closer to the M6, but the odler socoms are a wonderfull geo for an all around bike.

If I were to build up a socom as an all around DH capable trail bike, I would personally go ahead and use a Hammershmidt.

6. Pato

Pato Stop stealing my thunder!

Computer/Networking nerd
    Yea, I'm just waiting for the long term reviews and reliability reports on those.

7. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

You apparently may not be familiar with the affects of small chainrings on the current generations of Socoms (or any other VPP1 Intense). The Hammershmidt would be a terrible choice. The torque-induced bob would be horrible.

Put a granny gear on your Socom and do some sprints and tell us what you think. ;)

8. Pato

Computer/Networking nerd
    Thanks for the reminder Lee. I totally forgot about that.

9. Vince

Vince New Member

Plumber
    Home Page:
    2Wheel you have a PM

10. ezzyride

ezzyride New Member

Research
    That is what I tell her she will be proud of her bike. Her hard work will make her feel good to ride her bike.

We bought the bike used from Denmother. It's better than new because Denmo raced on it.

Don't be jealous.;)

Julia works very hard for her bikes. Julia studies alot and keeps her grades at a nice 4.0. She's brought home some awards that make me proud. At 13 she's taking high school courses. Also taking college entrance exams. Trust me it's all hard work from her. Otherwise she wouldn't have 4 bikes. She's an accomplishe soccer player and track girl. I know well her passion are bikes. As much as I tried to delay the DH bike, I know she will have a great time racing DH. I honestly think the bike addiction, keeps her encouraged on her studies.

Thanks to everyone willing to help Julia build her bike. I greatly appreciate your offers. I can't really help her build the bike. We will most likely be asking you questions and keep you updated as the bike is built up. We will also post pictures as the bike is built up. All your offers prove Julia is surronded by good people on STR.

PS: To be honest you all lost on me on the 2nd page.:lol:

Thank You,
    -Elvia

11. BFloFoxRider.

BFloFoxRider. Active Member

Army
    so does she have all the parts, or does she still need some parts to finish building it?

12. ezzyride

ezzyride New Member

Research
    Julia still has some parts she needs (I think). We will run the parts we have by/with PATO and then figure things out.

Brandon - We will take you up on the offer for the paint on the fork.

Thanks,

-Elvia

13. Julia12

Julia12 Guest

Today I spent 3 hours with Pato working on the socom. I learned alot from Pato today. We made great progress on the bike. I'll post pictures when the bike is complete. It's so close to being totally built up.

1) The fork is installed
    2) Handlebars are in
    3) Rear Shock was changed
    4) Wheels are on (Pato thanks for the tires)
    5) Saddle is on (thanks Trojaninsomniac)
    6) The cassests are on
    7) Rear axel and rear derailer

And (YES) Dino I wrenched today. My sweater has grease on it to prove I worked on the bike. Pato, instructed me to stop tightening the blots, as soon as I heard a click. Out of several bolts I only broke one. Now, I have to stop at The Path to have the bolt removed.

Parts I'll be purchasing:

1) Crankset
    2) Spacers
    3) Rotors

If anyone is selling a Truative crankset let me know. I'll check if they have one at The Path.

Thanks Pato for all the help and instruction today.

Julia12

14. chongoblanco

chongoblanco Banned

none i get my check on the 1st!
    I have a set of truvative hussefelt cranks with a howitzer bb 73mm is what you need on that bike I belive, crank arms are 175mm length, dont know if you need shorter ones

15. Julia12

Julia12 Guest

I'll PM you.

Thanks,
    Julia

Do you think they will work with ethirteen chain guide?

16. chongoblanco

chongoblanco Banned

none i get my check on the 1st!
  17. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Hey Julia, what size rotors do you need? I have some Hayes 8" rotors that you're welcome to have. I also have some 6" rotors, if you want one for the rear instead of an 8.

18. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

why are you set on the truvative cranks? hussefelts are kinda overkill for your size/riding style. I'm pretty sure that there are a few hone cranksets floating around that would work great. strong forging, a bit lighter than hussefelts, steel pedal inserts.

also, (not familiar with truvative cranks btw), you only need a hex wrench to pull them apart, and they won't wear out if you take them apart. ask around, they were pretty affordable as far as cranks go iirc.

19. Pato

Computer/Networking nerd
    I'm glad I was able to help. Did you ever get them to pull that screw out? Sorry I couldn't help get it out. I don't have a set of easy outs to get the job done. If you haven't taken the bike to The Path yet, I'd also ask them to put in a Helicoil on the outside pinch bolt on your right (as seen from the rider's perspective) fork leg. That bolt or the tap in the lowers is stripped also.

You are correct, it is a 73mm BB. That would be perfect if it is set up for a single ring with no bashguard. I would like to see her using something like an XT crankset, but I'm not sure if that's possible or not to make it a single ring only.

That would be perfect for her. Thanks for the offer Lee. She currently has Hayes HFX-something or other brakes set up for 8" rotors F/R. If we can get her an adapter to run a 6" rear I think that would be better. She won't be needing an 8" in the back.

She is looking into Truvativ because she already has the Howitzer BB and that will only work with very specific Truvativ cranks as far as I know (which isn't much I must admit).

20. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Howitzer BB equals Howitzer drive cranks. There cheap, and easy to get.

Hussefelts...80 bucks

Holtzfellers... more, but hollow

xt's..... a Drill will make short work of the granny tabs, then its just a matter of getting the right chainring