My foot is going numb

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Murmur, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Murmur

Murmur New Member

Partner - Sport Recon
    It's getting worse with every ride it seems, particularly longer ones. I'm riding Specialized carbon shoes, egg-beater pedals. It's just my right foot - in particular, the index and middle toe. On a two or three hour ride, I'm in serious pain. I can't adjust the cleat any farther forward, but it feels like it might need to go that way. I think I may try some inserts. My right foot is a bit wider than my left. Anyone using the Sidi Mega (wide) Dominators? I've heard those solve this type of problem for those of us with wide flippers. Advice welcome and appreciated.

2. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

3. royta

royta New Member

Electrician
    Murmur, I have the Sidi Mega Dominators. As far as I know, it's my only option for shoes that fit my crazy wide foot. I have a 8 1/2 EE to EEE foot and wear 43M(ega).

4. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Bummer man, sound like you have a neuroma. Is your foot going numb but you have pain or irritation in your toes. I've got the same problem. My buddy has the same problem. Evidently cyclists and women who where a lot of high heeled shoes get them.

Try sliding your cleats back and to distribute the pressure better. Best thing would be to see a podiatrist and get orthodics with a metatarsal pad in it. They have some other out patient therapies like ethanol injections to kill the nerve but the orthodics seem to be working best for me.

Good luck.

5. royta

royta New Member

Electrician
    You've got Murmur a T. I've seen him with crazy high heeled shoes. Makes me feel akward inside.

6. soul rider

soul rider EMPTY V

veal in a cubicle
    i'm no doctor, but...get some Vans and some platforms

7. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Try getting those cheap pads they sell in the drug store. I know of a few people it's helped out.

8. pshloss

pshloss New Member

I also have a high volume foot (wide with high arch). I use a ~20 dollar styrofoam type insert (I think Superfoot makes them among others). Also, I tend to avoid the super-tight buckle down shoes and stick to standard lace shoes with stretchy mesh uppers. My current shoes are Canondale Roam- $70 at Performance. Great in summer, but I did freeze on a couple night rides this winter.

9. dirttorpeedo

dirttorpeedo drive monkey, drive!

maint. for a oversized school district
    specialized makes shoe insoles,you stand on a heat transfer pad and it'll show you witch insoles you need,they're made for foot probs.also once upon a time long ago when i first got clipped in i used to clench my toes unknowing i was doing it.that may be what is happening.

10. Murmur

Murmur New Member

Partner - Sport Recon
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I read an article about this in MB Action. The common problem is that the cleat is behind the ball of your foot. So, last night I took apart my shoe and was able to flip around the cleat plate. Now I've been able to slide the cleat up an extra half inch or so.

I think that was the problem. The cleat was behind the ball of my foot and I didn't think I could get it and farther forward. Hopefully that will work - if not I'll try different inserts and possibly new shoes. A coworker had the neuroma thing - I hope that's not it.

Thanks again - I'll report back.

11. ocrider

ocrider New Member

College student/USFS Ranger/Mountain bike Racer
    Home Page:
    Maybe trie getting new pedals. Endurance racers have old me that on long rides that u can get numbness in your feet from useing egg beaters. I guess after a while you can tell theres no platform under your feet. Try out the candys.

12. Murmur

Murmur New Member

Partner - Sport Recon
    I rode today up Harding to Santiago Peak. The numbness wasn't as much of an issue on the climb up - but definitely reared its head on the way down. Next, I'll try new inserts, then different pedals and shoes. Thanks again to everyone that responded.

13. ECOdork

ECOdork (R.I.P.) Pope of Chili Town

State Biologist
    I've been having a similar problem with my new shoes....I think they are too narrow, but I most definately had the pedal well behind the ball of my foot. That was big.
    Still I'm going to return these sucka's and get the next size up.

14. offtheedge

offtheedge New Member

poor circulation for sure