My First Flight Off My Bike

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by SherBear, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Singletrack Angel

Singletrack Angel New Member

Sherri, you are awesome! Can't wait to ride with you again.

2. drclark

drclark I aim to misbehave

Engineer
    Get well soon. Good to see another west-sider on the boards.

drc

3. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    Welcome and heal up fast.

4. buggus

buggus New Member

Sherri,
    Sorry to hear that. Take care and get well soon!

5. roguemoog

roguemoog New Member

Thanks guys...unfortunately it's a little worse than we thought. She will most likely need a small surgery :( to screw the fractured piece back into place so that it heals correctly. The docs have said it would heal on its own but may give her problems in the future like arthritis, limited movement, etc...

Initially we didn't like the first guy that saw her, and unfortunately he's the ONLY one she can go to through her insurance which she's now realizing is not very good. But since she works at the hospital she's been able to take her X-rays to at least 3 other doctors, including a very good ortho surgeon there at St.John's and they have all pretty much agreed she's at the limit and they would go ahead and correct it with a screw.

It's a minor surgery, and it will actually heal faster with this help than it would on its own and she won't have a cast for six weeks, but she's very scared. She will probably have to have it done in the next week.

6. xhuskr

xhuskr Powered by Guinness

Teacher (da wee ones)
    good deal on the other docs checking it out. looks like you're taking care of her.. keep it up, both of ya!!:)

7. steviebfromtheoc

steviebfromtheoc steviebfromtheoc

self employed
    Man , thats a brutal crash , hope your feeling better and back in the saddle soon

8. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

I understand the "scary" part. I did not break my 1st bone until I was 46. I ended up shattering my left wrist while riding in Whistler. I had to go to the ER and have it set (many times) and a cast put on (my 1st one). When I got home they discovered that the joint was not going to close up so they had to put a pin it which stayed in for 5 weeks.

I decided long ago that I love mountain biking and I understand the inherent risks. ;) Broken bones and other injuries are not fun, but part of the learning process....Keep your chin up and think about when you will be able to ride again!!!!

P.S. My friends and I had a hand puppet contest during my healing period and it was quite fun. I will have to post up a few to give you some incentive!!!

9. ohyeah89

ohyeah89 LEARN-IMPROVE-TRAIN

Water Biologist
    OH MAN! Scary stuff... but it's good that she'll heal faster this way... Good thing she works in a hospital!

Sherri, hopefully you will keep riding after it is all healed and not let this discourage you. We'll really miss you on the loop and other trails!

10. lorabee

lorabee New Member

Corporate Travel Consultant
    Welcome to STR .. Hope you're back on the trails soon !!:)

11. davidB

davidB Active Member

heal up so you can beat Pato up the hill again! ;)

[​IMG]

:bang:

12. roguemoog

roguemoog New Member

Haha...thanks for the pic David.

UPDATE #2:

So maybe I spoke too soon. I took her CT scan results to the doc's office today. He called her the next hour, and said that it shows that it's not any worse than the initial X-Ray showed, which is good. He found another small crack, but it's only 1mm and it will heal very well.

As for the large fracture, he still thinks it is very borderline on the need for surgery (which all the docs at her hospital said the same thing, borderline). He is going to leave her immobilized on her temporary cast and wants an X-ray next monday or tuesday then wants to see her ASAP right after the X-ray. If that shows it hasn't gotten worse, he wants to stick to a cast-only treatment. We hope that with some rehabilitation she will not have any permanent reminders of the injury!

We'll see what happens next week, but since she has no pain or anything we are hoping it will be no worse and will start healing. Then she will be in a cast, poor baby. But no surgery would be very good. We are getting more confident in this guy because it seems he does know what he's doing, he is a certified surgeon and has been doing it for 33 years.

Thanks again for the encouragement and support, everyone. She hasn't been online much since the first page of replies I showed her but I'll tell her to come read again.

13. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

When I shattered my wrist they put me in a cast and then had me wait 10 days. They were hoping that the joint would heal by itself but after 10 days, it never moved so they had to pin it and then put me in a soft cast.

Here's hoping she doesn't need surgery!!!:beer:

14. roguemoog

roguemoog New Member

Thanks! Fortunately her fracture is not displaced so it doesn't necessarily have to move back, just not get worse! So we'll keep her very still for the next week. It makes me wonder if the initial ER X-Ray may have hurt her more, as she was in extreme pain when they made her straighten out her arm for the take but the guy said it had to be done and made her stretch it out.

15. JOx2

JOx2 Active Member

Heal up fast so you can tame that trail that got you, and get back to the saddle sooner than expected.

16. wheels

wheels Slowest Member

impressive first post, mine was just Hi, get better soon!!!

17. CruIsRad!

CruIsRad! New Member

Hardcore!

You're "officially" in the club now. Welcome! :lol: :beer:

18. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    Bummer but at least you're on the west side and not hot old smelly 'the oc'. j/k. hope you heal fast!!

19. roguemoog

roguemoog New Member

Well, some bad news, I guess...it seems the fractured piece looks a little out of place. The doc said he doesn't feel comfortable letting it heal like that. He is going to have to try to fix it...but unfortunately the other piece behind it is also fractured. If it is not stable enough to screw the small fragment onto it, he may try to put that piece in place first and then the smaller one...but if not, most likely he'll have to take them both out.

He said she will heal fine, and will actually recover more quickly having them removed. It shouldn't impact her life or anything he says he performed the same surgery on a friend of his 15 years ago, and the guy still plays tennis with him using that arm. He said it's a fairly common injury and the radius heals with scar tissue over the missing piece and functions the same.

She is scheduled for surgery tomorrow at 6PM. She is pretty bummed and very scared...but she'll come home that night.

20. ohyeah89

ohyeah89 LEARN-IMPROVE-TRAIN

Water Biologist
    Here's to hoping that everything goes smoothly and she heals up fast!