My favorite carrying knife

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by bing!, Mar 1, 2011.

1. thomaswildchild

thomaswildchild Active Member

I am a Machinist
    Home Page:
    werent you telling me they are easy to hide too? :lol:

2. AAARGH!

AAARGH! A Pirate's Life For Me

Great thread, I am in need of a new knife for rides. Those are some awesome blades. Where do you guys go for best selection, pricing, availability, etc? Online, Surplus stores, specialty shops? I'm in Corona, but all over the IE every week.

3. One_Track_Mind

One_Track_Mind New Member

Landscape Designer (Architect in Training)
    Accidentally brought my Ka-Bar to the gym today... that's not my standard carry... was surprised to find it in the bottom of my gym bag. oops. It usually stays by the bed. I like my Frost folding pocket knife for casual carrying... groovy red wood handle, clip, nice n' sharp and the price was right.
    That Leatherman looks pretty rad though, a good camping multi-tool.

4. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Bass Pro shop has an amazing amount of inventory on sale right now ine very department.

Other than that your best bet is Grommets collectables in the Moreno Valley Mall..... Its actually one of the largest kinfe shops around... good quality, good people

5. dislocated1

dislocated1 New Member

Fabricator
    Home Page:
    To the OP... I have a Skeletool as well and I really enjoy it!!!

6. sebaney

sebaney New Member

phone guy
    oooh... Damascus!

$$$$#-o

7. fanatic

fanatic Member

Marine Superintendent
    I like this blade to cut away branches. It is small, but cuts really well.

Attached Files:

8. da big hills

da big hills happy night trails

daily night grind
    Nope you will only make the "cat" mad. I carry my SOG, I wear it at work everyday, but stopped carrying it riding because I never used it out there. My little plastic tool kit, I use the spoke wrench most when I forget to check my spokes before the ride. I am plagued by loosening spokes on the rear. I night ride almost every nite and there is nothing out there to hurt you (except yourself). Don't let the noises spook you and everything will be ok. Remember to carry a bell and pepper spray

Tips for night rampages: Awwwhoooo
    If you smell skunk wake up, the big cats favorite meal is skunk.
    carry a backup light
    carry a cell phone and ride where you can get coverage
    learn how to id cat scat and coyote scat
    coyote and bob cat cat looks like schmitt
    big cat scat has bells and smells like pepper.
    Happy Trails

9. unclepudding

unclepudding Fueled by Frosted Flakes

Derivatives Trading
    If you're not going to buy online (which I usually do and recommend), please don't go to Bass Pro. I hate to preach the "support the small guy" mantra, but there are many relatively small cutlery shops which are less chain store and more mom and pop style. They're really cool to deal with and they have really good service. A couple that come to mind are Plaza Cutlery in South Coast Plaza and Knife Gallery in the Village mall in Orange (less than a couple miles from where the 91 and 55 meet).

I recommend researching what you're looking for in a knife (Eg. One blade or several, length, saw or no, multitool or just knife, fixed vs folder, assisted vs regular, locking vs slip joint, etc) and then read many reviews before throwing your cash down. Then either buy online for the cheapest price or from a local shop.

Good luck!

ETA:
    Fanatic, great idea with the saw. Maybe I ought to consider bringing one in the event i need to "clean up" a trail!

10. monstertiki

monstertiki New Member

I can't believe it costs more than my spitfire frame... and we thought bikes were expensive. I usually get my knives at thebladeshop, or wherever I can get the knife I want for the best deal.

11. bikerider

bikerider New Member

I'm a spyderco fan myself. the clip is handy to clip to the thigh pocket of your baggy shorts. Look at the Spyderco Tenacious. It's a pretty solid knife and you can't beat the price. I also carry the Native or the Paramilitary. Check out Knifecenter.com before you go to the Mall shops. I want to support the local guys, but damn if I'll pay nearly double.

12. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

Me, I'd gladly carry any knife made by our very own SKINNY!

13. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

For the record.... I only recemended Bass pro because of their big sale happening currently...... Def wouldnt order online though, gotta go in and put your hands on it.

14. F.A.D.

F.A.D. POWERED BY MUSUBIS

Feeds me
  15. bing!

bing! Active Member

Keep it sharp, and keep it within easy reach.

28 April. Andy Peterson, 24, an experienced hiker from Littleton, was attacked in Roxborough State Park, Colorado, while hiking alone in the 3,000 acre park on the Carpenter Peak trail about 2 to 3 miles west of the visitor center.

The hiker came upon the lion, who was "chewing on a stick", while descending a trail. A 30 minute standoff ended when the lion attacked as the hiker attempted to "retreat up the trail". The lion retreated after it was stabbed once with the 3" blade of a Swiss army knife, attacked again, and then left after the hiker "jabbed his thumb in the lion's eye". The hiker received deep cuts to his head and face, and was hospitalized in fair and stable condition.

http://tchester.org/sgm/lists/lion_attacks_nonca.html

16. OTHRIDER

OTHRIDER Active Member

Machinist
    Since my Heckler has a built-in bottle opener, I chose a Benchmade Model 100H2O River Guide. 3.25" fixed blade, semi-serrated, 7.5" overall length; thermoplastic sheath that is buckled to the strap on my Camelback. Since it is a dive oriented knife it can be worn handle down for quick extraction. SARBOATS has one and gave me the tip - I trust his background :)

I've had to use it twice in three years and I'm most satisfied.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/100SH2O

17. monstertiki

monstertiki New Member

Chances of surviving a surprise cougar attack are pretty slim. But pocket knives have been proven to be effective against them.

This little knife...
    [​IMG]

Did this.
    [​IMG]

http://www.igorilla.com/gorilla/animal/2002/cougar_attack_vancouver.html

"Man survives cougar attack by killing it

Friday, August 02, 2002

BCTV News on Global
    61-year-old Dave Parker stabbed this cougar to death with his pocketknife after it jumped him on a Port Alice trail.

BCTV News on Global
    The knife Dave Parker used to kill the cougar.

BCTV News on Global
    A 61-year-old man won a life-and-death struggle with a cougar outside a small northern Vancouver Island village, killing the animal with his 7.5-centimetre pocket knife.

Dave Parker was jumped from behind while walking on an industrial road two kilometres south of Port Alice, a village of 1,300 about 370 kilometres north of Victoria.

The retired pulp-mill worker was attacked Thursday evening by a 45-kilogram adult male cat, conservation officer Ken Fujino said.

"It was thin but by no means starving," Fujino said from Port Hardy, the nearest sizable town.

"There was no indications as to any physical injuries that we could see that may have provoked the attack."

Parker was being mauled but managed to get to his folding pocket knife.

"A lot of people carry knives out here, or bear spray," said Port Alice Mayor Larry Pepper, a friend of Parker. "People are quite conscious of the fact there's cougars here."

Pepper said Parker managed to turn on the attacking cougar and slit its throat.

Despite extensive wounds, Parker managed to walk about a kilometre to a forest mill's log-sorting area. Late-shift workers rushed him to Port Alice's tiny hospital.

" Because of the seriousness of his injuries they took him by ambulance to Port Hardy and flew him down to the hospital (in Victoria)," said Fujino.

He underwent surgery Friday to repair his wounds and was recovering in the intensive-care unit.

"He's out of surgery and in stable condition," Lianne Peterson, a spokeswoman for Royal Jubilee Hospital in Victoria, said Friday afternoon. "I don't know much about the surgery other than plastic surgeons were involved."

Pepper said Parker liked to hike and was in good physical condition.

RCMP Const. Jeff Flindall said police found Parker's knife next to the carcass of the dead cougar.

"It is a pocket knife and it is approximately three inches long," Flindall said from Port Alice.

Fujino said there have been a spate of cougar sightings around Port Alice in recent weeks.

"Generally as a whole cougar attacks are fairly rare," he said.

However, the village was the scene of a serious cougar attack two years ago.

A Seattle tourist was cycling outside Port Alice when he was jumped by an injured cougar.

A passing motorist saw the man struggling with the cat and waded in to chase it away. The animal was later tracked and killed by conservation officers.

© Copyright 2002 CP Broadcast News"

18. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

Buy your knifes online....So much cheaper. You are going to pay double if you buy local. Another good pocket knife is the SOG trident

19. TREE

TREE New Member

20. autoduel

autoduel sandbagger

Architecture
    I carry whatever S&W folder that BIG5 has on sale for $15
    If I lose it or break it, No biggie. If it gets dull and chipped, it gets resharpened and tossed in the glove compartment, tool box, wherever.

I do have a benchmade 875 that sits in a drawer for fear of losing or damaging it. I'd rather use knives than collect them.