MTB Lawsuit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chumbaracing, Mar 23, 2005.

1. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Well said, JamR. I'll type something up tonight and send it out to the county.

I encourage everyone to sign up on and post a little something on http://www.sports.ibforums.com/
    I'll do that tonight also.

2. chumbaracing

chumbaracing Guest

As always, JamR makes wise and smart points. As an attorney -- I can say that he is dead on when he states that if hundreds of mountain bikers claim that they are all fully aware of the danger of mountain lions and the other inherent risks in our activity, it will be close to impossible for the family to win. I know a few people in the County Counsel's office, I could ask them if there's anything we could do to help. On a lighter note, I picked up my Talas RC today -- it rocks!

3. EBasil

EBasil Member

Home Page:
    That almost sounds like an offer to draft declarations for execution, notarization and delivery to the County Counsel's office. Pretty nice thing to do, especially for one o' them scumbag lawyers you were talking about in an earlier post... :?:

Blaming the lawyer is a great trick by insurance companies. Blame the plaintiff that wants free money.

4. JamR

JamR Moderator

Senior Planning & Field Operations Manager
    Actually it can go both ways.

Two time's I've ended up in ICU from biking accidents, and both times I was solicited by several attorneys on the hospital grounds clearly pushing me to start a suit against the County on one incident, and against a component manufacture on the other.

One was very persistent until I informed him that the only Attorney I would need would be to represent me in court on the battery charge if he didn’t get out of my face.

Both instances would have been frivolous suits on my part, but the pushing and the opportunity was clearly present on the part of these attorneys. I do not condone the Reynolds law suit, but tend to believe that they were sought out by an attorney and did not have the honor to just say no.

This is clearly a frivolous suit in my opinion, and anyone who hikes, bikes or runs in a wilderness area is doing so at their own risk.

5. EBasil

EBasil Member

Home Page:
    I agree with you about the Reynolds' suit, but sure wish you'd taken a card from the "solicitors" and reported them to the State Bar assoc. I think they're supposed to be the ones to enforce things like that, which I think are actually illegal. I think we're supposed to approach the lawyer, rather than the lawyer coming and selling us a lawsuit.

6. chumbaracing

chumbaracing Guest

Any solicitation within a hospital is clearly unethical and a violation of the code of ethics.