Mt. Wilson 11-24-07

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by mtb_prodigy, Nov 24, 2007.

1. CalEpic

CalEpic member

Kranking Kiwi, Tom Cosgrove, Oscar, mtbcat, Jen, Ladd Jasper and I did.

As I said, the climbing wasn't bad + we didn't have to deal with retrieving shuttle vehicles.

2. Nagaredama

Nagaredama New Member

You guys missed the upper singletrack!

3. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    It must be going around. My wife has the exact same thing right now.

Get well soon.

Mott

4. mtb_prodigy

mtb_prodigy New Member

Did Anyone Find My HelmEt!!!!!??????????????????

5. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    Not that I have heard. Give me the EXACT location and I will drive by there tomorrow morning.

EXACT!!!!!!

6. Sprockethead

Sprockethead S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. Member

Network Admin
    Dude when you went down in front of me, I thought oh crap, what are you doing? Sure enough, your foot did not touch the ground and over you went. Kinda reminded me of Carla's story. Good thing there was a big tree bush there to stop you. I'd say you rolled down 6'. Mayor Dino who was in front was right on it. He reached down to grab you while I saved your bike.

I'm glad your OK, better to fall there than on Sam Merrill. That drop was ridiculous.

7. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    I didn't know Mazer's crash was that serious. Glad he's ok.

Are you sure that Dino didn't set the whole thing up as a means to further his political ambitions???

8. Sprockethead

Network Admin
    It really wasn't that bad. If he had busted through the tree bush, that would be a different story.

9. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    The bush can be your best friend up there. When I hear about things like this is makes me take that exposure a little more serious. :-s

10. maxwell

maxwell Dirty Stinky PATH Love

CRASH TEST DUMMY $#%&*^#
    Home Page:
    Great time today for sure!!

I'll be going back again real soon, thanks again for setting it up guy's!:bang:

11. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    Question

I'm sorry but I will admit it, I didn't get everyone's name on this ride. I'm sure with future rides I will remedy this but I am curious. At one point on this ride it was just me and another guy. I think he was on a Giant.

I was pretty much sure I was HAULING, and he was right there the whole time. Who was that? I just want to know who I had so much fun with.

thanks,

Mott

12. Sprockethead

Network Admin
    Henry rides a Giant VT I think. It was the only Giant I can recall from today's ride.

13. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    Was he earing an XC helmet today?

14. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Looks like you guys had a clear day. Great trails and Craig is right...the climb is not that bad. Once you get past Cape of Good Hope it is actually easy.

Even a Raul sighting!

Dean

15. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    Big time Raul sighting. As good as it was your presence was missed. :steppie:

Mott

16. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    I'll write a litte rr while the pix are loading. What a great ride today. For some reason I thought we were going to be doing the Mt Wilson trail, but then it dawned on me after STJunkie yelled it into my ear a dozen times no we're doing the Merrills. Aw shit, I'm in no frame of mind to ride this trail, but oh well, we have a good size group going so what the heck.Started the ride through the tunnel and felt like it could be a good day, but almost immediately on the singletrack I didn't feel comfortable, but I'll just slow it down some and see how it goes. Fortunately it went well, until I got into a small rockgarden and somehow I hit a rock head on instead of pulling up and over I went, right into the rocks. Good thing I had the pads on and didn't start to tumble, it could of been bad. Scared up both the elbow and the shin guards so they did their job.

I was riding up front and trying to keep from having the people in the second group not catch me and I think for the most part I was successful. Seemed like everyone had some skills going on today. Everybody rode really well and I don't think any of the regroups were unecessarily long. I believe we were about 25 strong. No real mechnicals and only a few flats. Not bad at all.

The mayor holding a coucli meeting

[​IMG]

Scott still telling me no we are riding the Merrills...

[​IMG]

I don't recall seeing this guy in the shuttle, where the hell did he come from???

[​IMG]

The famous Denmother schooling us in the fine art of dh'ing

[​IMG]

Anney, looking for a place to huck off of.

[​IMG]

Henry with an almost mechnical, says he lost his front brake. I told him he didn't need it as it would just slow him down anyways. The good mayor helped fix him up.

[​IMG]

Where the hell did all these folks come from and this was only some of them...

[​IMG]

I still have an unbroken streak of fun rides going. I've never been on a bad mountain biking ride ever!!! Had a great time riding with you all again and lets not wait so long till we get another big ride in the San Gabes.

That was Raul.

17. Tedroy

Tedroy Active Member

Designer Web/Graphic
    Home Page:
    My 2c's worth...

... Amazing day on Mt Wilson! Here's a few pix. Thanks again Mott for calling this tune!
    [​IMG]
    Heckler Joel... one of the greats!

[​IMG]
    Dino steals Pain Freak's wallet.

[​IMG]
    Knuclehead Jason and Knuclehead Tim argue over who left the helmets at home... both fell off.

[​IMG]
    Mazer holdin' it down.

[​IMG]
    I don't know this guy but he rules!

[​IMG]
    Sunset trail action!

[​IMG]
    Crash Maxwell?

[​IMG]
    Me mugging for the Mayor OG IH styley

[​IMG]
    The Mayormobile...

[​IMG]
    More Sunset trail action.

[​IMG]
    and more Sunset trail action.
    Awesome day everyone! Hope to see ya'll soon.

18. shagginwagon

shagginwagon CH3NO2

Wow !

This was my first "real" STR group ride ( more than 3 people ) , and I had a BLAST ! Huge THANX to Marty for gettin this one put together . Everyone seemed to be really kool . I'm horrible with names , so cut me a bit of slack if I get 'em wrong . Drove up with Bananaseat & Mazer . Turns out Bananaseat and I are practically neighbors . Great to finally meet the Mayor himself , Dino Brown ---- one kool cat ! Got to witness Apexman's BIG stoppie to pavement in the parking lot ---- " dude , are you hurt ? " , " just my pride " :lol::clap:. And thanx to Henry for the ride back up to the trucks --- hope you feel better dude .
    At the end , everyone opted for the el prieto(sp?) option except for Marty and myself . We hit the fast way down on the horse trail . For me it was the funnest part of the whole ride --- fast and open with some big old ruts and bumps ---- I think the rest of you missed out .
    Anyway , it was great to meet everyone ; can't wait to do it again !

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2007
  19. mtb_prodigy

mtb_prodigy New Member

I already went there its gone. Thanks though. I left it on the sidewalk down the street from the parking lot next to the long brown wall where a bunch of people park after space in the parking lot runs out.

20. mazer75

mazer75 New Member

Yeah thanks again man, I really appreciate you and Dino being there to help! :) Good thing those bushes were there too. I'm not sure what I was doing either. That was my very first time through there (my excuse), and I hope to be much more steady the next time!

If there was a camera crew, and he handed me an Iron Horse Energy Drink after saving me, then I would have thought it was a setup. But, it appears to have been a completely genuine act of courage and love for his fellow man! :) Thanks again Dino :wave:

What really kills me every time is that very loose terrain. The top of Merrill was super loose (at least for me), medium rocks and gravel and silt, and I had a hard time directing myself down the sections. Need to practice that more. And the only way to do this is to ride that trail again and again! :)

Still just the best time I've had in a while though. We need to hit that again! :bang:

Hey man! Thanks again for the ride up in that mega-large truck. :) I need to get myself one of those. I owe you at least a beer the next time we ride for the lift!
    :beer:

Thanks again-

mazer