Mt. Wilson 11-24-07

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by mtb_prodigy, Nov 24, 2007.

1. mtb_prodigy

mtb_prodigy New Member

Did anyone find a helmet with goggles? I left it on the sidewalk down the road from the parking lot. Its was a giro remedy with oakley gogles. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

2. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

doh, woke up and felt like crap so i went back to sleep... hope you guys had fun!

3. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    Feel better dude!

4. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Awesome ride today boys and girls!!! Marty, Ted and Dino cudos to you for organizing and pulling off such a great event. Hope to do it again soon!!!

5. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    Thanks to everyone for making this the best ride I have had at Mt. Wilson. Couldn't have asked for more. Great weather, Great people and not too many hikers.

I have more pictures but I am having an issue uploading.

reIMG_1553.jpg

Mott

6. Sprockethead

Sprockethead S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. Member

Network Admin
    Thanks again for setting this ride up Mott. We had a blast learning new trails and reading about the Mt. Lowe / Echo Mountain railway. Great group out there, I think everyone was pretty fast and I was surprised at how fast we ended this ride. I thought for sure with this many people, we'd be out till 3pm.

7. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    It was my pleasure. I was surprised too. There was a lot of talent in the group today.

8. mazer75

mazer75 New Member

AWESOME RIDE TODAY GUYS!!! I almost can't describe everything that happened. My main issue was that I nearly slid down the side of the mountain, but guess who was there to save me? None other than the Mayor of STR, Dino Brown!! :) Also there was Andy (aka Sprockethead). I love you guys!!! :bang:

Here's what I did:
    On the Upper Merrill, at a loose section, I lost my balance, did a dab into thin air, and then went sliding down the very steep mountainside. I managed to grab some bush branches, and then Dino and Andy (Sprockethead) saved me. I've never had more fun nearly dying! :) Thanks again Dino and Andy for saving my ass!

Okay, here are the pics I took.

First, two pics of people at the ruins, which was a big regroup:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Danny and Maxwell:
    [​IMG]

The Mayor and Heckler Joel:
    [​IMG]

Tedroy (missing his beer!):
    [​IMG]

Me looking sad because I don't have an Iron Horse :( :
    [​IMG]

My non-Iron Horse iron horse:
    [​IMG]

The latest in bike rack technology:
    [​IMG]

Some pics of the ruins:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some pics of the Malibu fires:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And finally, a pic of Downtown LA from the ruins:
    [​IMG]

Don't know the total distance, but the overall ride time was nearly 4.5 hours. I loved EVERY MINUTE of those 4.5 hours. :)

Great times, even greater people today. Glad to meet so many new STR peeps, and good to see those I've met before again. Thanks guys for putting on a great ride, and I can't wait for the next romp through the San Gabriels!!! :)

:beer::beer::beer:

:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

Hunter (aka Mazer)

Thanks for saving my life today man!!! :beer:

9. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

First off- MAXIMUM RESPECT to Mott for setting up the ride! Thanks Homie! :clap:

I begin MANY of my ride reports with the words, "I LOVE THE SAN GABRIEL'S." As of today, there are 25 people who will never question me again!

I will admit, I did have HUGE concerns how 25 DH riders were going to ride down a trail that many hikers strongly believe to be THEIR property! Thankfully, the trails were free of hikers (not sure why) and the 25 who showed-up REPRESENTED us well! Thank You! By the way, did anyone see the "elderly mountain bike census taker" on the trail? She was counting us pass by- I was lucky number 13!

I also had HUGE concerns regarding both FLATS (which the trail is notorious for) and the fact someone (i.e. 1 of 25) was bound to get injured. The lack of flats, I can not explain. The fact no one was injured could only be attributed the fact we were all skilled riders and we all RESPECTED the trail. You should all be applauded!

This trail is NOT for beginners! Also not for people who don't like rocks, cliffs, narrow trails, drop-offs, loose soil, those who are afraid of heights, afraid of crashing etc. etc. etc. Some may disagree with me. My response: Think back to how many times, things could have gone BAD today!

Memorable moments:
    * Riding with 25 people on one of my favorite trails
    * Watching the faces and smiles of those riding the trail for the first time
    * Watching Apexman climb his 45 pound Intense Uzzi like it was a 20lb. XC bike
    * Shagginwagon is one good rider.. Enough said!
    * Watching MAXWELL'S eyes light up when he "discovered" a certain section of trail... the scariest, steepest and most technical!
    * Watching Danny (SocalRidr) fall in love- with a trail!
    * Following Pato (Mr. I'm Not Very Good) and watching him man handle the trail
    * DenMother and Roger (Enough Said)
    * Mr. Freak, Maniacal, Raul, Stjunkie- My San Gabriel Homeboys!
    * Riding with Maxwell
    * Listening to play-by-play of Sprockethead HUCKING 423 rocks, drops, step-downs
    * Meeting a few people for the first time (Happy Gilmore (IH), Oliver, Speckled Trout etc.)
    * I will add more....

MAZER- I will devote a separate post to all of your dabs, falls, slips and CRASHES!#-o For such a good rider, you sure got off to a SHAKY start! :lol:

Until we ride again... :beer:

My camera battery died... only have a few photos..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NICE BIKE BRO' :bang:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More to come...

10. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    Quote of the day:

"I've never had more fun nearly dying!"

Mazer75

11. mazer75

mazer75 New Member

Dude, I am serious!!! It was just the most amazing day. Thank you for setting this thing up, and for making sure we all made it down safe!
    :beer:

And to think I nearly missed it because my ass was late? Thanks again to Dan for the ride up (forgot your username on here). :clap:

Hey Dino, thanks for that totally sweet pic of my railing that berm! (j/k, I have never railed any berm). I just sent that pic out though to ALL my honeys. Thanks! :)

12. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    Some mo pics

From Today

Attached Files:

13. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    Last two

See ya later Tedroy...

Attached Files:

14. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    part two pics

I already posted this but it didn't seem to go.

One more time

Attached Files:

15. socal ridur

socal ridur freerider

sleeping in
    props to marty and who ever helped in the organizing of this ride. this ride was sssssiiiiiiiccckkk, 15 miles of DH and a little bit of climbing=Happy Danny:lol: it was good meeting you the new faces. this has definantly calling my name again soon for some more of the san gabrials finest DH(i think). all i heard from behind when mazer fell down the cliff was stop! stop! and i new someone must have fell over since the off camber rock garden but luckily we had our MAYOR come with the IRON HORSE "hydraulic wrench" as Dino called it, everyone had great skills and ripped down alot of those VERY exposed trails and to top it off the burritos were AWSOME and i cant belive some of you ate the MONSTER burrito:-s
    good riding and happy trails,

Danny

16. 1080P

1080P Banned

Dotting "i's" & crossing "t's" while balancing
    I so wanted to go on this ride, but thought it a bit much for my first ride with the gang here. I shoulda, I shoulda, I shoulda. Couldn't pick a better day or nicer weather for such a fine ride. Next time...

17. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    Whenever you are ready just let me know.

18. CalEpic

CalEpic member

Shuttle monkeys ;)

It was nice meeting up with you guys at the top of Lower Sam Merrill. What an absolutely beautiful day.

The climbing wasn't bad at all. Made us really appreciate the downhills. I had forgotten how fun these trails are.

C

19. coldbrews

coldbrews Former Fat Guy

Electrician
    Did you guys ride up instead of shuttling?

20. maniacal

maniacal New Member

welder for DWP
    Hey! Like always, it was a blast hanging out with all of you! Im lucky to call these mountains my backyard. I wish I knew who it was that stopped to help me fix my front brake lever. Lots of you offered a hand. Dino pulled out a piece of velcro and I put it together with some medical tape and we were off again baby. Wierd thing though. During the middle of the ride I started feeling, well, like shit! On the way up taking Scott and Danny (?, did I get it right bud?) I felt like puking. Anyhow, I got home and did, and I ended up with a 101.3 fever! I just woke up right now and had a V-8 with lemon and tapatio. Still feel like shit but had to see the pix. You all rock and lemme know when you wanna play up here again.