Ride Report Mt Waterman thoughts and input

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by dstepper, Jul 26, 2009.

1. project_d

project_d Steve Peat Wannabe

I work in a wine shop, so I get paid to drink...ni
    I'm bummed that I was out of town and couldn't participate in the festivities. Maybe I could hit it up this weekend.

2. Dufferin

Dufferin Tgas TT

I apologize for that, Dean, I did misread your statement. But I hope that something great happens in Waterman and from what everybody is saying here, looks like its going to be a long and rocky road. And when its all done, it might be expensive too. Education, Enforcement, and Trail maintenance all cost time and money. But I don't mind paying a little extra for a proper and legal DH riding in LA.

3. Monarch

Monarch New Member

Milliner
    I have grown up riding Mt. Waterman. I enjoy it in both the winter and the summer time. The last thing I want to see is Mt. Waterman get destroyed by a bunch of shuttle runners.

Waterman will never be a Northstar,Mammoth or Whistler. However it can be fun as long as we can get a good dialogue going with the forest service as well as the owners to create a nice little slice of heaven for us who prefer not to ride up hill.

The city of Boulder Colorado is in the process of building a Mt. Bike park. This is on city land and we could look at this as inspiration as to what can be done on the Mt. Waterman property.

http://www.bma-mtb.org/valmontbikepark/index.php

4. 1080P

1080P Banned

Dotting "i's" & crossing "t's" while balancing

I think you have a great idea.... build it on City Land. Last I heard the City of Glendale had some land to do so, set aside in the foothills. I've heard nothing on that development for mountain bike riders lately.

5. maxwell

maxwell Dirty Stinky PATH Love

CRASH TEST DUMMY $#%&*^#
    Home Page:
    First I'd like to say thanks for taking the time to post up on both sites. It shows, at least to me, that you are open minded.

Second, I'd like to apologize here in front of all, if any of the work we did on Sunday hurts Mt. Waterman.
    I can assure you that myself, and the guys that were working with me, will NOT be doing any other building until the correct procedures are taken.

Like others have said, it will never be a huge resort. And to me, that is not a bad thing. BIG is not always better.
    However, it could be a GREAT spot for all involved, to boost the local economy, and give our local shredder's a legit, much deserved, place to ride.

Like it was mentioned in an earlier post, the money is not in the XC type trails, as fun as they are.
    The lift assisted DH runs are going to be what will help Mt. Waterman stay afloat during the warmer months.

6. lmnop

lmnop New Member

Engineering Geologist
    Please, stop with your lies/mistruths as to the geology of the San Gabriels! From what I understand, you are or were an accountant.

I can poke a bunch of holes into that mish-mash of thoughts quoted above, but I can hardly stomach the thought of spending the time in typing this, let alone getting into an "intellectual" discussion with you.

7. simonmtb

simonmtb Digging for fun.

riding my bike and cooking dinner for the wife
    Looks like everyone had a blast at Waterman and i have really enjoyed following this thread and the input from users, owners and adminstrators of this area.

Well said.:clap: The San Gabes are an absolute mountain biking gem and I find it hard to believe that a regular contributer to this site and a supposed advocate of our great sport, would say so much to undermine so many peoples pleasure on a public forum.

8. Tedroy

Tedroy Active Member

Designer Web/Graphic
    Home Page:
    I can't wait to take my 4" bike down the face. Can I plant my mug in the rocks like I do in the snow? Maybe I can slide all the way down onto the road too!
    Waterman is fun on skis, but I think the place is too small for bikes.

9. Mt Waterman

Mt Waterman New Member

Hello to all. I just wante the FS to know that the owners of MtWaterman are not cut new trails. We have access roads which the mountaun bikers are using. We are not allowing anyone to bring up picks and shovels to creat trails. No trees are being used to make jumps or bridges. The most we have done is rake pine cones and sand off the access roads to make it safer to ride.
    We are interested in making a park on the mountain. We feel in would work in everyones interest to move the big bike off the trails hikers are using.
    I will call you today.

10. roach

roach Full Singletrack Tuck

Environmental Planner
    Damn World Wide Web!

Almost as quickly as this insane fantasy of plowing trail wherever it feels good came to fruition, it looks like it’s not actually permissible. Shocking! This fantasy would have lasted maybe a month or two if it didn’t immediately get plastered all over the Internet. I know some of you are really excited to share with the world, but questionable trails/trail work activities? [end of rant]

Now the District Ranger has chimed in to help clarify procedure, but I doubt he’ll get too involved with the crazy bickering that is online forums.

Seriously though, Waterman can get new trails, just not by next weekend. The guys at Waterman are super cool with MTB’s but the mountain is still located on National Forest Land. A laid-back bro attitude doesn’t usually coincide with Federal Regulation enforcement, but it can be done.

Summer 2011 sounds realistic to have an actual approved network of new trails at Waterman. However, getting a new network of trails through the NEPA process will come at a substantial $$cost. Of course, Mt. Baldy has been running summer lifts for hikers and bikers for a few years without developing any new trails, they just tell you to stay on the fire roads…That's the easiest and cheapest approach.
    In the meantime, Waterman’s mtb lifts should still be able to operate, but the owners have to discourage/eliminate cross-country exploring.

-Mt. Waterman, I have 11 years experience in Environmental Planning and may be able to help you with any questions about the NEPA approval process. PM me if interested-
    Good Luck Mt. Waterman, a lot of us are rooting for you. Hope we get an El Nino this winter!

11. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Too busy throwing CORBA under the bus on MTBR. Don't think STR mods have much tolerance for him over here.

Roach as far as people posting about Waterman that was Roberto himself that invited people to come out and ride where they wanted. Many of us knew that it was a cluster **** and will be short lived. I still am hoping that the Forest Service would consider that the lift faces are pretty much one big trail going down the hill.

Dean

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2009
  12. 1080P

1080P Banned

Dotting "i's" & crossing "t's" while balancing
    150 acres for Mt Waterman.... Mammoth Mountain is over 3500 acres for reference, 25x the size. 3 or 4 days at 6hrs a day at Mammoth, and I'm bored. Divide that by 25 to figure out how long it takes to get bored at Mt. Waterman... about an hour, before all the new dirt is discovered.

Read about the owners of Mt Waterman here.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/mar/12/business/fi-waterman12

The names Rick Metcalf and his brother Brien are mentioned as owners in the article.

13. spookydave

spookydave A little dab will do me

I thought this thread was about Mt. Waterman. Can you please take all the other stuff someplace else?
    Maybe start a new thread about bus undercarragies, cobras and the missing 10K. That is all moot to Waterman right?

thanks

14. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Highjack my thread:

Attached Files:

15. art23rockpile

art23rockpile Minus Delta T

Cabinet/Furniture/Door Maker
    As Dean stated, we didn't hear any negative assessments from anyone who was there Sunday. Mt Waterman has a lot of potential if handled correctly.
    I'd be willing to volunteer my time and effort (i'm a professional woodworker) when/if the time comes.

Relegate him to your "ignore" list as many others here have done, Dave.

16. Mt Waterman

Mt Waterman New Member

We are meeting with the Forest Service next week to discuss the options for Mt Waterman.
    They do not want anyone riding the Mt Waterman trail. We can only ride on established trails on Mt Waterman.
    The Forest Service was very gracious in our conversation with them. Not a negative undertone at all.
    The attitude was very positive and I am sure that working together, bikers, hikers, and Forest Service we can find a middle ground where everyone can enjoy the mountains.

17. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics

Will this be a "public invited " meeting by any chance?

18. project_d

project_d Steve Peat Wannabe

I work in a wine shop, so I get paid to drink...ni
    How do I do this?

19. Mt Waterman

Mt Waterman New Member

No it will not be. I will invite everyone once we have a plan of action.

20. CA_descender

CA_descender IamHAZZMATTseeMEgroove

Father & Husband
    One thing I think you should consider is having an experienced trail builder with you at the meeting with the USFS. Maybe someone from CORBA, SDMBA (maybe a bit far for them) or call IMBA and see if they have some one they would recommend. Just to give input/ideas even though they are not allowed to actually do the work, at least from I have been reading.

I really hope this works out. I will be watching closely because I really miss "local" lift assisted DH. Even if it never becomes a Whistler/N. Star/Mammoth type of deal but something that is fast and fun.
    :beer: