Ride Report Mt. St. Helens Solo

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by ohyeah89, Jul 30, 2013.

1. ohyeah89

ohyeah89 LEARN-IMPROVE-TRAIN

Water Biologist
    RR - Mt. St. Helens Solo

I am staying in Chehelis, Washington with grandma right now. Last time I visited her, I crawled through Ape Cave and have wanted to mtb there ever since. She isn't doin the best so I went up to spend some time with her and brought my bike along. I stopped in Oregon and went on a camping tour with Cogwild along the McKenzie River on the way up (a RR for another thread). I decided to give her a break and head out to Mt. St. Helens. Headed out from Chehalis early Sunday morning and tried not to crash as I couldn't help but gawk at the Lewis River to my right!

I headed up the trail around 0930 and probably went the slowest 2 miles of my life. We just don't have trails THAT green down here! It was even more green than Oregon. So unbelievably amazing and awesome! Through the trees they have these trails known as "magic carpet" a layer of fallen pine needles on hard packed hero dirt. I couldn't help but sing Aladdin's "On a magic carpet ride..." over and over again as it magically carried me up it.

I also had A LOT of fun with my Gorillapod and self-timer (HAHA!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After emerging from the trees and Mt. St. Helens started peaking through, I couldn't help but keep exclaiming to myself how amazing this was!
    [​IMG]

Then the first view point with both the volcano and Mt. Adams just took my breathe away.
    [​IMG]

There were a TON of mtbers out which was really neat. I stayed for over an hour there because I wanted a chance to just take in all that majestic beauty in solitude.
    [​IMG]

After a bit of trepidation I continued up the side of the volcano on the pumice and scree and SO HAPPY I did, the trail was a lot wider than it looked from the vantage point.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then the VIEWS, oh the VIEWS once the Plains of Abraham began...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Traversing the Plains was definitely my favorite part of the ride. I have never been on a trail that feels flat (or down) BOTH ways (I've been on plenty that have felt UPHILL both ways... LOL!). The Lupine made it seem like I was riding through a sea of purple.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I loved the little rocks here and there, esp in the drainages to add in just a tiny bit of tech.
    [​IMG]

I reached the intersection of Ape Canyon Trail and Lowitt Trail (4 miles to Windy Ridge) and was contemplating whether to go on or not since the predetermined time was approaching to turn-around.
    [​IMG]

Luckily, a couple of mtbers passed by and said it was definitely worth keeping on despite the pushing that may be involved since you get a different view of the volcano and a peak at Spirit Lake. It was a fun little descent until the pushing began. I even pushed some of the slight downhill sections as the skinny trail ascended to the ridge. Being solo and a fear of heights/exposure don't mix (ha!)! I walked probably a lot more than I should have. But on the bright side, it allowed for more time to enjoy the flowers and the view!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With so much HABing, time was really getting on and I asked a few backpackers if it was worth going on. They assured me in a few hundred feet I would see the back of the volcano and there it was! So cool!
    [​IMG]

I could see a really fun looking descent along the ridge that would have probably taken me to the stairs but 1) it was getting really late and I didn't want to worry my grandma and 2) the exposure was getting to me!
    [​IMG]

I knew even if I was so close to my destination, it was wise to turn around. It saved something for next time ;-) and I could really enjoy my ride back to the car without a nagging time pressure (ie time for even more pics! hehe).
    [​IMG]

It was really neat to see the increase in water level in the drainages. After all the climbing in the trees again, it was a rip-roaring FUN descent!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This ride was one of the most amazing riding experiences I have ever had. It was simply MAJESTIC (the term "magical" is still reserved for riding in Sedona, but *gasp* this experience even surpassed ANY of that riding even!)

I am so glad that I had the opportunity to do this solo. There was no pressure to get anywhere, no pressure to not stop whenever I wanted to snap a photo, and it added an entirely different level of "awesome" riding through the different terrains in solitude. I have to be honest, there were times that it was a little eerie and nerve-wracking being solo but I wouldn't have it any other way!

2. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    Nice! Makes me wonder why I left. I lived in Rochester ( very close to chealis) when Mt. St Helens erupted In May 1980. We had ash 4 ft deep in our back yard.

3. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Excellent! brave girl to solo it. But truth be known I prefer rides like that alone, I just don't like to camp and travel alone.

Dean

4. auger

auger Member

Retired from fixing helicopters
    Very nice! Thanks for sharing

5. 53-12

53-12 by design

Landscape Architecture
    Beautiful ride. Stunning views.

6. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    Wow!!...really admired your courage! Thoroughly enjoyed your RR and moving pics!!

7. abuck55

abuck55 Member

Sales
    Tara,
    I,m sooo... Jealous!! beautiful pics!! Great RR!!
    Lucky!!!!............................................................ :clap:

8. shawndoh

shawndoh New Member

Awesome!

9. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Active Member

wow thanks for sharing. Love the photo of the stream. Great RR :)

10. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Me Tooo Wow Thanks...You are my hero of the day.... passion, endurance beauty AND common sense all shared!

Thanks!

11. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    Tara - that was SO beautiful!

12. brown chicken brown cow

brown chicken brown cow Member

Tara, loved the pics and the RR!

13. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Where is the bike pic? I know you took at least 100:)

14. Sherpa DRider

Sherpa DRider One finger tappy tap!

Architect
    Great RR! I rode the whole trail back in 2010 with Dirtmistress, Dirtvert, and a local Charlie who gave us the grand tour. It was one of the best trails, if not the best, I've ever ridden. Thanks for the memories!

15. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
    Awesome Tara, thanks for the RR! Such an incredible area.

Looks like you're having a great time on your solo trip. Stoked for you! :beer:

16. ohyeah89

ohyeah89 LEARN-IMPROVE-TRAIN

Water Biologist
    LOL!!! You know it!!!
    IMG_1829.JPG

I took over 450 pics... edited down to 165... then was able to narrow it down to 59 for facebook. It only took over a day to do so! :lol:

For this RR, I just copied and pasted from my thread on mtbr so the it left out some of the flower pics (discussed in a different post in that thread). I also didn't want to bombard those people with pics... LOL!

I also have about 8 more GIFs.... Solo rides are FUN! ;)

Here is a link to more pics in my facebook album: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10101741766737324.1073741835.3302693&type=1&l=0ef111c606

17. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    NICE!! says the man with the Pivot 429c!

18. The Lone Rider

The Lone Rider New Member

Great RR and picts/video. I loved that you did it solo.

19. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    One of the best RR's I've seen in a while.I used to live and travel throught the northwest and I know how beautiful it can be. I envy you. I hope to ride this some day.