Race Report Mt. SAC 11/7/10

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by InlandEmpireMTB, Nov 7, 2010.

1. melster

melster Member

Software
    So, how many miles do the pros/expert/pros/beginners do?

2. azncarbos

azncarbos New Member

Environmental Engineering
    Pros does 5 laps
    Expert does 4 laps
    Sport does 3 laps
    Beginner does 2 laps

and each laps is about 6 miles....

I think women is different....

3. InlandEmpireMTB

InlandEmpireMTB Mtn Biking PhotoBlogger

Home Page:
    Great pics, Peter!

Thanks so much!

4. azncarbos

azncarbos New Member

Environmental Engineering
    Thanks Eric!!!

5. Vanaerobic

Vanaerobic New Member

I know this took a little bit long but I just wanted to throw my race report out there.

I had a great time at the Mt. SAC race this year. I had raced it for the first time last year. The significance of last year's race was that it was the first event I did after I found out I was gonna be a dad! Then this year, a year later, my son was at the race. That was super cool. The other crazy thing about last year was it was the first time in a while I had seen Yoshio Garcia. Yoshio and I raced in the same Sport category in our early 20's. During the Cal State series several years ago, I battled with him the whole year. The only time I beat him was when he got a flat at Rim Nordic. He finished 1st overall and I finished 2nd. We've kept up ever since, though I figured he would keep getting better and I would stay a middle-of-the-pack sport rider. Last year at Mt. SAC he tore it up.

To see him race Mt. SAC this year, even though he was going much slower then I know he can, was so inspiring. When he finished and looked so happy, it choked me up.

The race itself was pretty cool. I lined up somewhere 3rd or 4th row. Had a decent start and I tried to pin it before the cow field because last year, there was a super long bottle neck there. The new switchback climb was awesome and I felt pretty good on it. The loose descent was kind of fun though the first lap I had to tripod one of the corners. I pretty much settled into a rhythm. I found this Sho-Air rider in my category and I tried to keep pace with him. After a while I passed him but I couldn't see anyone else in my group. I ended up riding with the older Singlespeed guys. Talk about getting humbled. I completed my goal of riding the hike a bike section every lap without walking. The first 2 laps I averaged about 27 minutes. However the 3rd lap, I BLEW UP! Legs not turning, cramps galore, feeling weak. Still rode the hike a bike but I limped home to the line. At least I had my son and wife waiting for me. Ended up getting 5th in Sport 27-34. My first year in that category. I would have gotten 3rd in Sport 19-26, which I did last year, so I guess it gets faster as you get older. Anyways, had a great time and it was awesome to see other friends there.

6. Vanaerobic

Vanaerobic New Member

Here's some pics:
    [​IMG]
    My wife, sister in law, and the baby. He's bundled up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These guys were awesome! Way to represent peeps.

[​IMG]
    My buddy Eric. Mt. SAC was his 2nd XC race ever. This guy is my hero.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Me and Yoshio. This guy is coming back for sure. You guys know about Craig Lewis? Rides for HTC-Columbia now and had an awesome year. Look it up. Yoshio is coming back.

7. vukyle

vukyle New Member

So last Sunday was the Mt. Sac Fat Tire Classic! I'm always looking forward to attending this race each year. This race has some sentimental value to me as it was my very first mountain bike race. I recall getting pumped about racing my mountain bike despite having never ridden a lot on my mountain bike. Let's just say that it wouldn't have been a surprise if I just quit riding that day. I ripped my shorts on the first lap and rode with half my ass exposed. While traumatic, for some reason I'm still racing to this day and I've made an effort to come out to this race each year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My trusty steed. Shout out to AME grips for providing with grips this year.

[​IMG]
    Team
    Pablove kits.

[​IMG]

To sum it up, the race went well. From the start I just spun as fast as I could till it started going up the hill. It was a combination of powering up the hills and recovering on the flats while on the single speed. It was enough to take the win and earn one of the fastest times for three laps that day. I welcomed the new changes to the course since it added something different this year. Yes, I was that guy racing in the pink kit on a single speed bike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Phil racing to win the Men CAT1 27-34

[​IMG]
    First place in the Men single speed 34 and under.

[​IMG]
    Phil for the win!

[​IMG]
    Trophies were off the hook for this year!

[​IMG]

Yoshio and I raced a lot in the CAT1 19-24 group in the years past. He would always finish ahead me in each race and was my inspiration to do well. He suffered a serious accident on the bike at the beginning of the year, but he showed up and raced. I definitely choked up a bit when I saw get on the podium. I'm so happy to see him on his bike and I know he will get better as time goes by.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Team
    Pablove

[​IMG]
    Having a good time on the bike.

Good to see everyone out there and I look forward to the next Mt. Sac Fat Tire classic.