Race Report Mt. SAC 11/7/10

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by InlandEmpireMTB, Nov 7, 2010.

1. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

OMG, you freeken rocked the granny gear race (not to mention the other race). How were the switchbacks on that?

AzNCarbos, nice to meet you, though sorry it was under those circumstances. Maybe next time on the bike. ;)

2. rodgerdodger

rodgerdodger Member

Bummer that you had a bunch of mechanicals! This was a great race and the course was pretty fun. I liked how technical the singletrack sections were, especially on the first hill.

3. M.C. Gong

M.C. Gong I am the motor

CENIC

Great Vid! Thanks for sharing. I give it up to you guys...how was it during the single track switch back part of the trail.

4. imapodaddy

imapodaddy New Member

Home Page:
    Going up the switch backs, we ran it straight up. Then on the way down, Joe (stoker) jumped off, and me met me down the hill while I rode it down. With a longer bike, I had to power slide into the corners. That was my favorite part.

5. wraschke

wraschke New Member

Student
    Race went well for me on sunday, won. But no pre ride before really murdered me. I hammered hills i should have granny geared, then that first single track descent was not well thought out. Everyone in the Cat 3 race wasnt on the brakes so you had guys down your back on that last section when you needed to be riding careful, oh well thats racing. 2nd lap felt better. But all in all a good race. and to the announcer im not 17, i'll be 23 in 11 days!!!

6. joekilabot

joekilabot Member

Overqualified Underachiever
    It was my first race ever, it was excruciatingly painful but tons of fun. Looking forward to the next race.

7. joekilabot

joekilabot Member

Overqualified Underachiever
    I was about 100 yards ahead of you guys when I saw you get off and started pushing.

8. hotrodsurf

hotrodsurf New Member

hula dancer
    Home Page:
    Yoshi

Nice of you to mention Yoshi in your post.His talk certainly had me choked up. I hope we see him everywhere. Sounds like he just met a new friend. And he can not have enough of those today. Congrats on your race also.

9. azncarbos

azncarbos New Member

Environmental Engineering
    Nice to meet you too! At lease you were nice to help....few other riders just made dash for it when saw me working the bike.....If you ever want to go riding let me know!

yea, but hey....I have fun and enjoy the the race! Love the technical stuff too!

Thanks for let borrow your tool!

Also I have few shots of you guys too!

10. imapodaddy

imapodaddy New Member

Home Page:
    You're welcome, glad I was able to help. thanks!

11. heith

heith Member

management
    Hey dave, i talked to you right before your race...I was the guy in blue polka dot team kit riding the SS S-Works. glad to hear you had a good race.

12. surfzombo13

surfzombo13 King of Kooks

Tin Knocker
    Home Page:
    Thanks, Heith. Your advice went far!!!

13. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Good race, good times, and enough sketch downhill to challenge the Cat 2 crowd without scaring off the Cat 3 groups. Just be careful picking your line and take it slow was the way to go...I liked the quick, steep, type of hills mixed in with the flats for recovery. Much more than what you sometimes see...the long, grinding hill that seems to take forever and doesn't let up until you scream through a technical downhill section.

As for me, I'm as anonymous as the bear bell. The GT-LTS has been retired to the fun-zone rides only. Long live the Spec-Epic-29'er!

14. Dazs

Dazs New Member

Hey! I was the one who crashed at the first descent near the horse stable. I was few minutes behind the leaders from beginners 35-42. I crashed almost at the end of the descent coz I lost my concentration which I tipped forward into endo which I landed on my feet and down I go. My bike almost hit me but I grabed it really quick before it cause more damage. The crash only lasted like 5 sec and I was back on my bike. I heard somebody yell "crash" somewhere at the top of the descent which made me more worried. When I got up to pick-up my bike, my right shoulder became heavy and I started to get really worried. I started to pedal slowly and was debating if I should quit or continue. 5 riders or more passed me until one marshall from scvelo checked me out and asked if I'm alright, I said NO! shoulder injury. So I went on my bike and still thinking of continuing, went passed the tunnel and stopped. I watched the leaders on their way back to the tunnel and yell to my friend among the leaders that I was injured and was quitting. Funny that the guys from MTB Riders Tandem so me and said that this is not the time to answer a phone call (he he he ) I was on my cellphone telling the guys that I got injured and I'm quitting. Anyway, 2 other guys from scvelo or part of the organizers came to see me at the parking lot and heard the bad news "Thanks for the help guys". Unofficial Update! my shoulder is not broken, I still have full range of motion but really sore. Don't be surprise if you see me at Nov 20 Fontana race. No Pain No Gain.

15. David Edward

David Edward New Member

Creative Stuff
    Hey Dazs,
    Great to hear no broken bones! And you got a crash under your belt, something I can't say. But I'm wondering if there was somebody else that had a broken shoulder because I thought I heard the announcer mention it as your group was starting. Maybe he was referring to a previous year's race. I will be out at Fontana as well. Maybe all of us STR members should wear something to recognize each other by.

16. GeoRob

GeoRob Member

17. rodgerdodger

rodgerdodger Member

It really is so much harder psychologically with no pre-ride

18. azncarbos

azncarbos New Member

Environmental Engineering
  19. zerordl

zerordl Member

Journalist
    Home Page:
  20. mr.plow

mr.plow pushit

yeah peter, great to actually meet you too. sorry about the mech probs, next time....