Race Report Mt. SAC 11/7/10

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by InlandEmpireMTB, Nov 7, 2010.

1. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

Tinker rode it all, like it was nothing. He's freeken amazing!

2. David Edward

David Edward New Member

Creative Stuff
    I decided to try cat 2 today and ended up getting 13th out of 19 which is cool with me, since it was my 2nd bike race. Very inspiring to see how much faster some guys are. It was a little crazy in the beginning with the mass start, some dude gave me a nice little body check on the first corner. Made a point to ID him so I could laugh as I passed him later on—unfortunately that never happened. Then there was that crazy cluster fock at the first single track. I followed somebody's lead and went off to the side through the brush and was able to get in front of about 10 people, but then realized I was going to have a tough time getting back into the lineup. Fortunately I saw a gap and was able to squeeze in. Learning a lot out there. Spent a lot of time feeling stuck behind someone on a climb, but as soon as we hit the descent, they would leave me in the dust. There was one dude I was very impressed by. He was a pretty big guy, on a much heavier bike than mine, and wearing sneakers. We were playing cat and mouse for the better part of a lap. He would dust me on the descents, and keep up with me on the climbs. In fact he was ahead of me on a climb on the last lap when his chain broke—total bummer. Anyway, it was an awesome day, and I think I'm hooked.

3. David Edward

David Edward New Member

Creative Stuff
    One of the highlights of my day was getting lapped by Tinker. Glad it was fire road and that I wasn't holding him up an a single track.

4. M.C. Gong

M.C. Gong I am the motor

CENIC
    Haha me too. Had a lot of fun. Course was brutal for me. Much harder than I had anticipated. Not a good day for me too. Had 4 cramps total during the race. Two of them were in each calve, but I sucked it up and kept spinning and they eventually went away. Saw two people fall in front of me in the switch back parts. Great time!

5. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

I loved the course--it was great fun. The start was a bit frustrating--I hung with the Clydes because I thought the start time listed sports going first, so I started in the back back (ack). Oh well!

I have to say that the best comment of they day was when I stopped to help a guy pull his chain out from between the granny and wheel, another racer passed after some time and said, "nice guy for stopping to help". *Ahem* I'm a girl. tsk tsk for assumptions ;)
    I was impressed that he was able to talk and ride up that hill--most were walking.

I saw a lot of chain/flat techs. On the first climb, some guy had stopped on the side. I started to ask if he needed help when I saw him placing his chain in his rear pocket *yikes* No chain tool to help :( One of the SS men got a stick stuck in his wheel, pulling off the chain. Let that be a lesson--never say you can't drop a chain ;) His place went from 3rd down, as he couldn't even coast.

I had a great ride, no major mishaps or techs with just a touch of skin left on the trail (switchbacks). Admittedly, the third lap zapped me and I walked the steeper sections.
    Ashlie loved it as well. She may even try another mtb ride. :)

6. surfzombo13

surfzombo13 King of Kooks

Tin Knocker
    Home Page:
    Ya know, I really wish I could place your screen names with the folks I saw and met today. I wouldn't be surprised if I was standing right next to some of you waiting to race, or even riding with you during. I can't wait for the next big STR group ride so I can get to know some of you good people in person.

7. InlandEmpireMTB

InlandEmpireMTB Mtn Biking PhotoBlogger

Home Page:
    Seriously! People should put their STR usernames as their 'team' on the race entry application, that might help to know who you were dueling it out with all race!

8. David Edward

David Edward New Member

Creative Stuff
    photo.jpg

:wave:

9. InlandEmpireMTB

Home Page:
    [​IMG]

I guess this way works too! I raced Cat 3 today... Mens 27-34.

10. surfzombo13

surfzombo13 King of Kooks

Tin Knocker
    Home Page:
    LOL, what the hell. By the way, real name's Dave.

TBULL1027 024.JPG

11. azncarbos

azncarbos New Member

Environmental Engineering

That was you! Thank you for the Help!!!!

Here how I look like too...

[​IMG]

12. azncarbos

azncarbos New Member

Yea....but in the end it all about having fun and great stories! ;)

Your welcome man!!

13. InlandEmpireMTB

Home Page:
    As I was coming down the 2nd-to-last descent on my second lap (cat 3), one of the photographers asked me if I was GeoRob... was that you Peter (azncarbos)?

14. azncarbos

azncarbos New Member

.....yea after I said that.... I realized it was you and not Rob....

15. GeoRob

GeoRob Member

yeah I was sporting the dress blues fighting for that 3rd place spot...had to settle for 4th this time...

16. InlandEmpireMTB

Home Page:
    Well I guess that's the easiest way to tell between him and me... I don't see myself 'fighting for that 3rd place spot' any time soon.. LOL :)

17. imapodaddy

imapodaddy New Member

Home Page:
    If anyone has photos of the two guys on the tandem, please PM. thanks! We had a great time!
    Oh if anyone has photos from the Granny Gear Race...please send that too. thanks!

RL
    [​IMG]

18. mr.plow

mr.plow pushit

that was the most fun i have had racing in a while. i hadn't raced here since 2008 and had forgotten how fun and fast the coarse is. i broke my chain about a mile from the finish, which had me in a slight panic for a minute. coasted and skateboard kicked my way to the finish and pulled off a second place cat 2 finish. and the trophies at mt sac are the best of any amateur racing in so cal that i am aware of.

high light of the day for me was seeing yoshi. i don't personally know him, but his recent struggles are quite compelling. it was awesome that the event organizers thought to recognize him, and his "thank you" speech almost had me in tears.

-t

19. imapodaddy

imapodaddy New Member

Home Page:
    Made a little video from the race. Mostly featuring the MtnBikeRiders.com Race Team, but if you were there, you might just see yourself.
    [video=youtube;JU203TrTio0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU203TrTio0[/video]

20. SADJ

SADJ New Member

This was my first race at Mt. Sac and my first race in Cat 1. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the course- I had a lot of fun. I used this race to judge my fitness and see how I could do with the longer distance and overal, was pleased with where I stand. Of course there were a few rabits that I could not stay with but I was able to pick off a couple guys in my group on the 4th lap so my endurance is decent. The only bummer was losing the compression damping on my fork 2.5 laps into the race. Thankfully I could lock out the fork and finish the race, but I wouldn't recommend riding the course on a ridgid 26er HT voluntarily! That made a rough course, (in spots), more like a teeth-rattling, vision bluring escapade. No wonder my wrists and neck/shoulders are sore today. Other than that, I'm still smiling.