Mountain lion sightings on Santiago Truck Trail/Luge?

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by DLM, Sep 28, 2009.

1. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

Let's be reasonable about this whole issue

Doesn't anyone believe in statistics any more?
    I'll remember to start a Mtn lion rumor next time I see any of you riding on my secret stash trails!

I'll continue to ride solo. I'm more scared of the traffic getting to the trailhead than what happens after. Lets all stop being emotional for a minute and be logical about this whole thing...

Take a look at these numbers:

In the U.S. :
    Killed in car accidents: 42,116*
    Killed by the common flu: 20,000*
    Killed by murders: 15,517*
    Killed in airline crashes: 120 (1)
    (of 477m passenger trips)
    Killed by lightning strike: 90*
    Killed by Anthrax: 5

(1) Annual average over 19 year period.
    *Average annual totals in United States

In the U.S. in 2006 there were 18,573 Homicides out of a National total of 2,426,264 deaths total. The 2006 overall death rate: 810.4 deaths per 100,000 population

There are about 44,000 deaths per year due to car crashes.

Canada has some most interesting Wild Animal Stats here: http://www.vs.gov.bc.ca/stats/quarter/q1_2_98/index.html#fatalities

Basically, from 1969 to 1997, 133 people died as a result of encounters with animals. These 133 deaths were equally divided between domestic and wild animals (49.6% and 50.4% respectively).

The most dangerous animal, in terms of fatalities, was the horse, accounting for slightly over 35% of animal caused deaths.

So, don't worry so much about the Mountain Lion, worry about Horses!!!

If you hear it, it is most likely prey, not a predator. Noisy predators go the way of the Dinosaur! :)

2. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    The most useless reports are of "Lion sighted at XX Park, be careful!"

You should know that lions can be anywhere at anytime. A lion's territory can be hundreds of square miles and he doesn't keep it by hanging around at XX park.

I've seen lions in all areas of the Santa Monicas. At Cheeseboro I saw a huge streak of blood at a stream crossing. Followed it until I found the body. I retraced the path and guessed at the ambush location. I bike past there all the time. I don't worry. Deer are on the menu, not me.

Topic: riding alone.

Attached Files:

3. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher

4. Branta

Branta New Member

It's probaby a matter of time before someone gets attacked at SCST or another OC trail. I recently saw signs at San Elijo/La Costa really close to houses warning of a cat sighting.

Remember that most of mountain biking is done in the wild and you have to deal with the wild creatures there. I went to school to study Mtn Lions, have spent tons of time tracking lions but haven't seen too many in the wild. One of the sightings was recently in the eastern section of the SCSTwhile mtn biking, I have also seen tracks and scat out there as well. The lion I saw at SCST was a juevenille and did not run away from me when he saw me. I backpack , hike, and mtn bike alone and my major concern is usually strange people not animals. Be aware of your surroundings, no ipods while riding alone, and bring your best Rambo knife(easily reachable).

5. glattime

glattime Member

Thanks for the cool pictures. The only fresh kill I have ever seen in 24 years of mountain biking was also in the Santa Monicas. I came only a few minutes after the deed and haven't been afraid of an attack since. The kitty hit a full grown dear with so much force that it nearly ripped the head off. You will go quickly if one ever decides to attack.

Oh yeah, the only actual sightings in those 24 years have been in the area now referred to as San Clemente Single Tracks back when it was Irvine Company land.

6. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Don't be worried Duan! Cats don't eat roadies.

7. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    I wasn't aware TIC had San Clemente developments; I always thought that was another Rancho. TIC can be evil, just didn't know they reached that far.

I've never been fotunate enough to see a lion in the wild. If I do, I hope it's not up close on the fangs.

8. el cap

el cap Active Member

Two years ago, there was a sighting (a mother mountain lion with her 2 cubs) laying next to the SC Ridge Trail (near Salvador). The police came and closed the SC Ridge Trail down for the day.

9. G-Ride

G-Ride New Member

They can be found anywhere from British Columbia to Central America, certainly anywhere in the Santa Anas. There were sightings in Anaheim Hills a few years ago, I think I remember a girl getting attacked at Caspers back in the 80s, and I personally have seen two, both at Whiting several years ago, just to name a few of the many sightings in the Santa Anas over the years. Also, remember that after the two attacks a few years ago and they tracked and killed the one at Whiting, that there was another female unrelated to the attacks that was hit by a car a few miles up Santiago Canyon Road the same night. Attacks are rare, but be prepared and know what to do just in case, because even if you don't see one, you can bet they see you. There could even be one under your bed right now.

10. elab

elab Turnbull haze

right now, right now?

good thing I'm still at work.

11. Erik MM

Erik MM simulacrum

mtb threads
    Home Page:
    Mountain Lion Poop

Mountain Lion Poop is WHITE, or Whiter than Coyote poop. A good way to know if they are around. "If its white then shit may not be right." And tracks...they retract their claws, so it will look like a dog print, but you won't see 'nails.'

12. glattime

glattime Member

You are correct, probably Mission Viejo? Just used to dealing with TIC everywhere else.

What was weird is the one I saw had no concern for the fact that I was there. It didn't seem to run away that fast, but it definitely moved away along the same path as it warily watched what I was doing. Since we were both going uphill I saw the cat for awhile until it moved to the side into the bushes. Fortunately I didn't get to see the fangs.

13. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
  14. aznpg

aznpg Banned

i've seen acouple when i go offroading in my tacoma at black star canyon. one time i saw a acouple of baby ones and the mother was no where around so i just took off

15. Doughboy

Doughboy Simple Man

a good book to read on the subject is "The Beast in the Garden" by David Baron. He chronicles the return of lions to suburban Boulder and provides some insight into how they have learned to live with us.

All the years I've been riding I've seen 2 - a brief glimpse of a tail disappearing in the brush off the trail down in SD, and watching a female resting in a Costa Rican jungle after an unsuccessful wild boar hunt. An amazingly adaptive animal to be able to live from Canada, down through Central and S.America all the way to Patagonia...

After reading this thread yesterday I went for a solo Old Camp ride last night and got spooked by some eyes on one of the climbs - just a deer :)

16. G-Ride

G-Ride New Member

Animals that have no natural predators are more curious and innately less fearful of humans than those that do.

Also, another point I thought I'd add is that as a rule of thumb, if you are in an area where there are deer, you will find mountain lions as well.

17. osmarandsara

osmarandsara Active Member

Do you think If i were to wear very bright colored clothing (reds/yellows/flourescent) would that decrease my chances for an attack. In nature, bright colors usually means "don't f*%K with me" (think poison caterpillars, amazon poison dart frog, monarch butterfly, etc.)

or how about the opposite.....if I wear to wear tan, brown, or other similar color, would a mountain lion be more prone to attack me?

just wondering.....

18. Iwannabinsocal

Iwannabinsocal boutique brand elitist

I have a fun job
    Interesting question, I hope someone can give a real answer to this one!

19. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

Or they mean "please f*%K with me" as evidenced by all the brightly colored males of the species which are seeking mates... think Peacock and other birds.

Also, did you know that the brightly colored male guppy has a higher mortality rate than his less colorful peers?
    http://beheco.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/14/2/194

So, as always: YMMV :)

20. emejay

emejay most annoying avatar

dentist
    Thanks for the info on the book....just ordered a used copy on Abebook.