Ride Report Mountain Lion Sighting on the Luge

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Hannibal, Dec 30, 2009.

1. 9er

9er New Member

Metal Fabricator/Artist
    Home Page:
    Ha, I love that movie.

2. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    As far as I understand the classic prints that are shown, and we learn from and we all talk about is when a Mountain Lion is walking / stalking etc....but as any cat owner knows when a cat accelerates / digs out / scrams / hits the road / takes off their claws can, may and do come out. I observe this on a daily basis...;)

Also often track areas are have a mix of animals it is possible there were both track in the same area.

I think this post is pretty compelling and yes I want to believe :)

3. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    Let me fix that a bit.

I maybe only see one nail imprint.
    As I said, these tracks are about as big across as my hand - significantly ( like 150-200%) bigger than my two 80lb labs' paws are.

The pads alone on these prints are about 1.75" across.
    The prints are also not oval like canine are.

The big key for me is that you can't make the classic X across the print. This is a big point in canine vs feline. So, I say the prints are feline and WAAAY too big to be a bobcat. Unless a tiger or liger or panther got released; it's a puma.

Take a look at these full size prints. I'm still convinced. Maybe I'll get a chance to get more pics in a day or two.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. G-Ride

G-Ride New Member

I can't say whether or not they are mountain lion tracks, but they look feline to me, not that I'm an expert. What did it for me is that the photographer mentioned that the only way the tracks could have been made is if it jumped down from a structure. That being the case, it explains the indentations of the front paws, with the forward and downward motion. The impact would also create deformities at the top of the prints in the soft mud. Also, if it was jumping down from something, it is not implausible to me that their front claws might extend for traction, but those still don't look like claw marks to me. Also, the rear paws prints are close to the front, and not as deep, also indicative of a landing. If they were canine prints, I would think you would see more defined claw indentations. At the very least, the center padding on the print is round and centered inside the toes, whereas the padding on a canine print is usually neither.

5. Yves

Yves New Member

The center pad is very large for it to be canine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    Another comment or two about lions in the area.
    Of course, we all know lions at least transit the area and are residnets of these mountains and foothills.

My wife told me of another report from another mom in our 4H club. She has property off of Live Oak ( I don't know where and my wife is extremely geographically challenged) and has recently been seeing a mother with two large young. Oh, and mommy has a collar.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2010
  7. XcShane

XcShane Member

I've been "lucky" enough to run across a few lions/bobcats in my day (Santiago Oaks, Peter's Canyon) but never that close. Wow man, that is just freaking nuts!

8. charlesinoc

charlesinoc Hello.

Home Page:
    Has anyone saved the picture of a mountain lion who was trying to hide in the bushes? The funny thing was that 3/4 of it's body was still visible!!!

I wish I had saved that picture..it was so funny.

Going to do a night ride tonight at the luge, if that lions eats me I swear I will be very upset!!!

9. Hey I almost ran over a baby Lion last night coming down cactus

10. Danimal

Danimal Gary the Cat

Thats probably the same juvenile Mtn lion I was a few weeks ago. It was hiding in the bushs, and took off once it saw me checking it out.

11. charlesinoc

charlesinoc Hello.

Home Page:
    You are so lucky to have seen one!!! I've never seen one, although sometimes when the hair in the back of my neck is standing......

12. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

I'm pretty sure there aren't any lions in the Aliso Woods or LCWP/El Moro parks that I frequent but I have not problem believing that they exist in the Whiting/Luge area. Crazy story man.

13. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    I'd be rethinking that thought.

14. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

I know that there were a few confirmed lion sightings years ago but who knows where they are now? With all the development I doubt they are still around.

El moro though...not so sure.

15. Rivet

Rivet Active Member

Don't bet on it, a few months ago a friend came out of his house early in the morning by Bluebird Canyon because the dogs were barking. BIG Mountain Lion laying on the sidewalk under a streetlight, freaked him out.

16. fos'l

fos'l Member

JRA
    Last year the conservancy reportedly had pictures of several (nine or so) different lions in Limestone Canyon. These were taken by the cameras that are activated when a large animal or mtber pass by. Apparently hikers, equestrians and paint-ballers don't register.

17. sasquatch9billion

sasquatch9billion Active Member

Non-profiteer.
    Home Page:
    I'm pretty sure you'll be one of the first to go when the zombie apocalypse happens.

18. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

You have no idea how wrong you are. :lol:

19. andy aka rut

andy aka rut Active Member

I find it interesting how many people have seen lions out there. I have ridden in the Santa Ana's for well over 10 years. I might have seen one about 8 years ago. It was about 200 yards ahead on the way to the peak from 4 corneres. I might have seen the tail. I don't really know. Of course my memory has exaggerated over the years and now I think it was a t-rex.

In our group of riders, I tend to see most of the deers and bobcats first, but a loin? Not yet. Hopefully never.

Good luck out there and ride with others- not that that would stop them if they are hungry.

20. MV Rider

MV Rider New Member

Be thankful the lion ran from you and did not turn around. If it had, then the lion would likely be hunted down. The authorities have zero tolerance for any mountain lion that is not fearful of humans. Several years ago I was riding with two friends down the Luge. I went last to sweep. Less than a third of the way down the two in front of me had stopped, advising that a mountain lion has just jumpted across the trail right in front of the first rider. Unfortunately, since I was last and coming around a turn I did not see the lion.