Motorway takes my brother down

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by singlespeedrider, Dec 30, 2009.

1. CPATCRASH

CPATCRASH Enjoy the ride!

Selling the elderly hopes and dreams
    Yikes! Healing vibes...

2. queenwilhelmina

queenwilhelmina God Save the Queen

Aww man, that's horrible. Head/face/mouth injuries are my biggest fear. You can give me arm or leg scars galore but don't mess up my mug or my grill.

3. xhuskr

xhuskr Powered by Guinness

Teacher (da wee ones)
    not a great way to end the year by any means...heal up...many of us can understand a fall on Motorway and the pain it can bring. vibes!!

4. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    Prayers for healing and to ease the pain as the surgeries come - how lucky he was to have a group able to help him.

Just a note - not to make him feel better - but there is hope, I was down unable to walk for over a year with a leg injury while riding my horse, with almost every plastic surgeon (there were MANY) telling my parents' "If the injury was to her face we could have fixed it" None had a better option for my leg.

5. ebenke

ebenke Member

Project Director, architecture, technical side
    Healing Vibes to Alex.

And thanks to those who were with him and got him help.

6. portlypeddler

portlypeddler Active Member

under a bridge
    My gosh...... what a horrifying and sickening account of a birthday celebration! Good gone bad for sure! At night? Unless I'm reading this wrong I gather it was night;what a time to be riding a bike risking life and limb ,to get into the town begging for help,people not answering your plea when YOU JUST WANT TO SAVE YOUR BROTHERS LIFE.

Insert prayer; Dear God help this man recover from his heinous injuries, physically, emotionally and spiritually.
    Send him encouragement while he seemingly dwells in the valley of discouragement and his loved one's as well.
    AMEN:?:

7. zipsbiker

zipsbiker New Member

I can't begin to explain how gnarly Alex's face looked after the fall. I have never seen anything like it and Mark and I did our best to keep from panicking under the circumstances. Alex is a warrior and I still can't believe he was able to walk over a mile down Motorway. It would have been a much longer night had the firefighters needed to walk up to us and carry Alex back down. It was very cold, probably in the 30s and that hike was never-ending.

It was hard to look at but it seemed as though he suffered a vertical laceration approximately an inch below his right eye down through his lip. Imagine a cleft palate that goes up past the side of the nose. The skin was peeled back and I'm pretty sure it went all the way down to the bone. His Oakleys were completely trashed and the right lens looked to have protected his eye and upper cheek. The helmet was a little scraped up but didn't seem to take much of the impact.

Since last night, I haven't gone more than 5 minutes without reflecting on the entire ordeal. My thoughts and prayers to Alex, Mark and the rest of the family as well as for a blessing on the hands and minds of the surgeons. It's my understanding that Alex will be facing a number of procedures in the very near future and I wish him all the best.

Get well buddy. We will be ready to ride when you are.

8. Margaritaman

Margaritaman It's just tequila...

Sales
    First of all let me say best wishes for a quick and pain free recovery.

Second, moving anyone that is seriously injured doing this sort of activity is always a risk. In this case it worked out just fine but the rule of thumb is to not move the injured until determined by a trained medical pro that it is safe to do so. I realize everyone was doing what they felt was best so please don't take my words as bashing their effort, just want everyone to make sure to be careful.

Get well soon bubba! :beer:

9. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    That's terrible! Hope he heals fast.

Sounds like you guys made the right choice, and kept a cool head during the situation. What a great group.

10. zipsbiker

zipsbiker New Member

FYI- Alex moved himself. We had him on his back with the Camelbak under his head but he insisted on walking down after a few minutes. I suppose we could have held him there, but since he wasn't feeling light-headed, and it was freezing, it seemed the best thing to do given the circumstances.

11. Margaritaman

Margaritaman It's just tequila...

Sales
    You guys did a great job with him. Definitely not questioning those decisions. I'm sure the adrenaline was on hyperdrive for everyone. As mentioned before, everyone kept a cool head, and that's most important. I'm sure he'll be buying beers for all soon.

12. spicolli1976

spicolli1976 New Member

I went and visited Alex yesterday at about 12:45 and they cleaned him up again. He is looking much better. Healing vibes to you Alex and get LOTS of rest. If I didn't have to work tuesday night, I would have been riding with you guys. Sounds like a crazy night.

13. melster

melster Member

Software
    Holy heck. I hope they do a good job reconstructing his face. I broke my wrist, and I get depressed sometimes knowing that it'll never be the same again. I can't even imagine how he must feel.

14. panteratwork

panteratwork Member

Bikes/Music/Film
    Healing vibes to your brother ... hope he has a full speedy recovery...

15. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Member

Vestal Watch
    He recently got out of his second surgery and the Dr's were very optimistic about it. My brother has a tough few months ahead of him before all the healing is done. He is already talking about riding again I just hope he slows down just a tad. I do not want him to be a slow poke but does not have to be the fastest guy out there. Thank you to everyone for the support and and to my friends and riding partners I could not have done it without you. Thank you all.

16. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Member

Vestal Watch
    Update:

Alex is still in the hospital but doing better. He has gotten up and moved around a bit and we are hoping he will go home today or tomorrow. I am thinking it will be tomorrow he is still on pretty good pain meds. All the surgeon's did an amazing job and we are hoping for little scaring and close to a full recovery. Still not sure on the nerve damage and if he will ever get full movement in his face only time will tell on that one. Looks like a soft food diet will be on tap for the next 4 to 6 weeks for him and right now eating is out of a syringe.

Alex is still talking about riding again but I think both of us are investing the the MET parachute helmet.

Thanks for all the get well wishes and I mad sure to let him know there is a post all about him and his crash. Not sure if I got the thumbs up or a middle finger but I know he is appreciative.

Thanks again everyone.

17. Brandy

Brandy New Member

Thanks for the update. I was thinking of him today when I was descending and subsequently going down on the Motorway. #-o

18. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Member

Vestal Watch

Hopefully it was a nice controlled speed safe descent down the Motorway. I might save that ride for when ALex gets back on the bike.

19. Rondo

Rondo Member

Captain, USMC
    Just remind your brother that pain is temporary, glory eternal, and chicks dig scars.

Proof: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/11/081118081446.htm

20. Brandy

Brandy New Member

It was a bonehead move that I'm thankful that I can laugh about. I forgot to unlock my fork. #-o:lol: Couldn't figure out why things just didn't feel like they did the other times I did Motorway. 8-[ I'm going to blame the fact that I was fried from climbing. Yeah. That's it! Anyway...it wasn't awful, hand is sore and donated some skin to the Motorway, but rode away lucky!