MMM...Brakes

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Red Hot Sloth, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Red Hot Sloth

Red Hot Sloth Banned

Well, I am in the market for new brakes. I have Hayes 9's with an 8" rotor up front, and 6" on the back. I have been running these same brakes since 2002/03, getting a bit old, and wanting something new, shiney, strong, quiet, user friendly...you know, the plug-n-play good stuff.
    I have considered a couple kinds. First of all, some of you have ridden with me, so you know my stature and will understand my choices. The thing is, I have never used any of these, and have no first hand experience with the brakes I will be mentioning. I am looking for pro's and con's for each. I don't mind having extra weight as long as there is a pay-off. I've never weighed my bike, but I know most of you would consider it heavy. My front wheel/tire combo weighs more than most riders entire wheelset. I ride aggressive, and climb slow, I'm not a racer, never will be, so weight isn't really a factor.
    Avid Code: I have read in many places these have decent power. But I have also read that people have had issues, like bad bleeds from the package, pain in the a$$ to set-up, sticking pistons. I like the fact they have 4 pistons, and have power plus. The manufacturer states they have 13% more power than the juicy 7's, but people say they have massive power, kinda contradicting, but I guess its speculative unless you've used both in a controlled environment <<whatever. But I know parts are easy to get, these being Avids, easy to service. Breakaway lever design. Are they easy to bleed? And if they are like the juicys..do they squeel...that drives me nuts.
    Hope: Looking at the M-4's or the Moto's(shaweet!)
    From what I read the M-4's have incredible modulation with respectable power. I have not however heard of any serviceability issues. I have read on some forums, and in a mag that they are quiet right from the start, thats a plus. But every shop I talk to says parts are difficult to get. The Moto's, I love the fact that these basically have the same report as the M-4s, with the only difference being...more power.
    I think the only thing that keeps me from jumping on the Hopes is the fact that a couple different sources tells me the parts are hard to get/find.
    I'm looking for real-time users feedback, with their own experience with the systems I've mentioned here. I'm not looking to be talked into something else.
    Things to consider:
    I like the power
    I'm not worried about weight
    I like to brake late
    I like modulation
    I really like to go fast
    I'm not thin, or "average"
    I don't want to be wrenching on them every week
    I don't want to hear them

Any help on your experience's with these systems is highly appreciated, thanks to all who contribute and share their knowledge with me.

2. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

lol I'm really happy with my nines , juicys seem to have problems or maybe you just hear about them more often because so many people have them. I think I would go with the hopes for the bling and four piston action

3. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

for balla status... 4 piston hopes....

I love my Juicy 7's, AND Hayes nines.....

The juicy's are a nicer design, with more features.... But both work nice

4. jonathan_sykes81

jonathan_sykes81 GET FORMULA

Military
    Formula, you should only be considering Formula. If you want bling, that's cool, go with the new The One(can you say pimp). I am telling you, performance wise, Formula's can't be beat. Just look at the reviews on emptybeer, you can't argue with that. Plus you get great service from the guys at the company. Later.

5. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

6. socal ridur

socal ridur freerider

sleeping in
    j/k

well why dont you get these brakes...there pretty good size and from what i hear they got massive brake power and parts are easy to get.8-[

Attached Files:

7. SAR_boats

SAR_boats Booze Bikes n Boomsticks

consultant
    Home Page:
    My suggestion is for 190mm Magura gustavM. They run silent and could stop a freight train. They are a bit on the heavy side and aren't the blingest thing on the market but they work extremely well.

8. foofighter

foofighter Ride More Talk Less

nice brakes...looks like the undercarriage to a VW

9. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

brembo's.....

Here are some boxster S brembo's on my early porsche :)

[​IMG]

10. Seat Sniffer

Seat Sniffer New Member

get these 6 piston with the floaty disc. Moto style!:)

[​IMG]

11. biglimey

biglimey Bike Industry Slave

If it says Hope on it, I'd buy it. Not just because their from the UK...well that has something to do with it!

12. Red Hot Sloth

Red Hot Sloth Banned

Look at the picture the Sniffer put up up of those Moto's...
    I'm tellin' ya'all, that is some blingtastice beauty, with performance, and reliability...
    Any reviews from you great folks on these?

13. CalEpic

CalEpic member

I can't comment on the Hope Motos but I have the Mono M4's and they are great. Hope are by far the easiest to bleed, great power and modulation (I'm running 7" f/r on a 5 Spot) You can use the old style Shimano XT pads. The pads remove from the top of the caliper - They couldn't be easier to change. It could just be my set-up but mine are sensitive to having the tabs faced on the fork/frame or they will make noise. Once that's done they're silent. I'm very happy with mine.

Another to look at are Magura Louise FR or BAT - Check e-bay for deals direct from Magura at dirt cheap prices. These are ridiculously powerful and easy to set up. Bleeding is like most others - not as simple as Hope. Magura parts may not be the easiest to find at a local shop but you can buy small parts direct and most mail order places stock pads. I'm running these on an RFX 8" f, 7" r.

C

14. SSinGA

SSinGA Free-XC-Downhiller

short-bus driver
    The Moto's are so freekin' cool and work even better. I don't have the vented rotors since mine are not hooked to a DH sled. They have incredible stopping power that is very well controlled. They do not have the "on-off" feel of some brake systems. The levers feel great too. A few friends just ditched their M4 systems after feeling the Moto.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. SSinGA

short-bus driver
    and before all the "that bikes too clean" and "poseur garage queen" comments start - yes it gets ridden. Those pics are from the build day as in brand new everything.

[​IMG]

16. El Salt

El Salt Guest

I'll second what SS said. The Hope Moto is very nice. I've got various Hope brakes on three of my bikes, and I'd say you can't go wrong for performance, ease of maintenance, and of course bling.

Attached Files:

17. SSinGA

short-bus driver
    FWIW - the Moto set-up on my bike came in lighter than the Juicy 7 system it replaced.

18. Red Hot Sloth

Red Hot Sloth Banned

Thanks for the feedback SAR. The GustavM would have been one of my choices, but I read an article a few years back in one of the mags, can't remember which one, maybe MBA, they reviewed the brakes and in the power category at the time there was nothing more powerful than these, but, they also said that the modulation was a little difficult, as in they couldn't be feathered as easily. If it weren't for that aspect I would consider them.

No kidding...what caliper is that?

19. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    Nice that the pads on the Hopes come out from the top instead of the bottom of the caliper. :-k

20. Roadstar_Rider

Roadstar_Rider New Member

Marine Corps (Machinist)
    All i got is some juicy threes on mine. Havent had problems yet. They are only a month old though. They stop well and they dont make noise except when they get wet & muddy which i think any brakes would do (?)..