Mike Aitken Crash/On the mend - Threads merged

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by giantfro, Oct 9, 2008.

1. giantfro

giantfro New Member

US Precision Sheet Metal Manufactoring
    Im not sure if this has been posted before, but here goes.

I just wated to post up the article from vital BMX about Mike Aitkens crash.

http://www.vitalbmx.com/news/news/Mike-Aitken-Crash-and-Fund,5021

their article does a better job explaining than me.

I just hate it when i read articles like that. It seems like more and more riders are going down and getting seriously injured.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2008
  2. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Very sad

So sorry to hear of another rider badly injured. This part makes me even sadder "Unfortunately Mike did not have medical insurance".......

3. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    I could be wrong, but you would think the company he rides for and promotes would provide insurance. Either way sad to hear.

4. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

Very sad that the sponsors dont provide insurance...... or helmets?

5. giantfro

giantfro New Member

US Precision Sheet Metal Manufactoring
    in the article in mentioned that no insurance company would insure him... if im not mistaken?

6. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    You are correct, I did not see that link.^^

7. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    sucks for Aitken. The sad thing about street bmx is that going helmetless is almost part of it. I've only seen one pro rider on the street ever wear a helmet.

Jimmy LeVan was hit by a jeep and broke his femure, shortly after recovering from his bad accident not too long ago when he cracked his skull or something.

Everyone is on the injury list these days, and it will only increase because the idea of pushing your limits has changed. But the common sense for wearing protection can't keep up. #-o

I'm sure a helmet would have helped.

8. schleppp

schleppp Active Member

Sorry, but someone has to say it... "No helmet = little sympathy." I feel terrible for his family though, especially his kids. Needless to say, I will be praying for them all tonight.

9. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    bmx'rs will never learn, nor will skateboarders, or rollerbladers.

10. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    I agreed that he should have had a helmet on. I donated and plan to yell at him when he recovers. I assume my donation entitles me to do so.

This sport, in it's many presentations, is dangerous. We can point the finger all we want, but at the end of the day, no one would ever be injured if none of us were riding bikes....

11. dirtyjeff

dirtyjeff The same, but different

REBAR? what?
    I just don't get it, WTF? Why no helmets?? Just to be cool ? Use your head !!! (it's all we have) still, all prayers and positives to him and his family :( We have all seen someone go down hard (F'N scary)

12. wimp67

wimp67 show me, don't tell me

pool tech
    Home Page:
    my 18yo, dh daughter wears her full face while watching mtn. bike videos (she loves it)!! but EVERY ONE of my friends are struggling to get their teen boys to wear a helmet and IF they do it's not strapped. multiple tickets n fines have NO effect!! they're all afraid of what kids will say. it starts at the top and the sh*t rolls dh (no pun intended)!! i'm gonna puke if i hear another celeb say "they did't ask to mentor our youth"!!! where are our kids' heroes? it's a PRIVILEGE NOT A BURDEN!! i've spent the last 4 years in high school ministry and w/o going into detail - i'm concerned!! i dare you all to step up and join me in promoting common sense (safety)

ps i'm a woosie cuz i wear shin gaurds

13. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    That's just how it is. Most of the street riders which are icons to the younger generations don't wear helmets on the street. those younger people think if the pro's don't need it, then they don't.

A lot of people still refuse to wear a helmet even after ripping there skulls open. I can put money on it, that when aitken is back to normal and riding again- he still won't wear a helmet.

I grew up with the same train of thought. "Helmets are for wussies" because my idols weren't wearing them when they road/skate/push/etc. i.e. (BMX) Jimmy LeVan, Matt Berringer, (Skate) Jamie Thomas, Rodney Mullen, (Rollerblade) Brian Shima, Jon Julio. None of these people wore helmets when jumping 12-20 stairs, and still don't.

14. Diamondback

Diamondback Banned

you guys are right, the sad part of BMX with the exception of events like the x games, shows pros not wearing hemets.
    BMX has not progressed much unlike mountain biking. The technology, riding skills and safety with mountain biking has leaped forward more so than any cycling genre (roadie included)
    here are some photos of early "repack" riders without helmets. today those riders wouldnt even THINK about not wearing a helmet unless they were total retards. Also they wouldnt ride those bikes either :)

Attached Files:

15. wimp67

wimp67 show me, don't tell me

pool tech
    Home Page:
    well said mudman, thanks!! riding bmx in 1980 +/- the focus was on bike pads but since my mentors n i raced, buckets were the norm. "skate city" was littered with armor as well!! been to a skate park lately? i look like a gladiator but my friends n i encourage the kids we take to be leaders, not followers. (yes, we "represent")

you're either part of the problem or part of the solution!!

16. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

Not to sound like an old fart :-k.... but my father and his friends had absolutely no trouble getting me and my teenage friends to bend to their will.

Simply a matter of determining what thing I most wanted and then removing that should I not comply. It is a simple formula that if applied in a consistent manner from birth never fails. Of course I did tire of the rules and moved out of the house 2 weeks after I turned 18 but that is another story:beer:

17. r3dman15

r3dman15 DH Master

were ur pads

no clue he had gotten injred

18. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    It's a dangerous game...

Just like the crocodile hunter pulled the short straw one day if you play with fire long enough...

Even the most skilled professionals are only human, and though they might have celebrity status, get their bike free, most of them are just regular people with lots of practice=talent. Most don't roll like Lance, Tiger, or Tony Hawk I have known and ridden with Mike and he is one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. But rich he aint, and with his prior injuries health insurance was denied repeatably, A lot of people think his sponsor should pick up the tab because they fail to realize a BMX company is not a goldmine. I actually know the owner of his brand and he is not rich because he re-distributes the wealth from sales to talented riders like mike, in fact he was the first one to jump a plane when he heard the news. Any hater could insert the Darwinian reference to his not wearing a helmet but they fail to account for Guys like Steven Murray who are paralyzed despite wearing gear. We are all gonna go sometime, the only thing (sometimes) beyond our control is when. Mike was doing what he loved most, and my prayers are with him that just like me he can recover from his injuries and get back on the horse.

19. guero

guero iFroth

just say no to fruit-booting!!!

20. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    lol why don't the wood pushers ever get any flak?