Middleburn or White Ind. - SS Crankset

Discussion in 'The Market Place' started by cjwally, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Mr Fo

your info is a little sketchy tonight. Did you take your meds:?:

Do you want to run a bashguard? If so, then Middleburn is only choice.:-k#-o

2. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    what r u talking about? to reiterate, the original poster is asking about 2 cranksets.....one of which cannot run a bashguard

3. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Are you saying that

you can not run a bash on XT's?

If so that is wrong:)

4. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    you are one slow dude.....AGAIN, question is ONLY about 2 cranksets, White Ind and Middleburn, not your pedestrian shitmano (though i am a hypocrite as I have XTR on one single speed but still....)

5. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

How is

the weather??:lol::beer:

Middleburn is over hyped

6. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    you are very mean spirited sir! :lol:

the only thing that keeps me going is knowing I will have 3 ventanas soon

7. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Did

you come clean with the Kool-Aid smokers over on the Turner board:-k:?:

I was......that close to getting an El Rey. However just didn't fit right..for me.

Back OT. Phuck all those other cranks. Go with function over style........ XT's:bang:

8. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    in all seriousness DZ, Middleburns and WI work very well for many people....for example, I only weigh 175 lbs and for me, the combo of middleburn or ENO w/ Phil Wood is the epitome of bombproof...seriously.

The El Rey is amazing for me....with the setback post it is SPOT ON! Sultan would been great too of course but BY FAR, the best deal I was able to get was an El Rey and that was my first choice so all worked out for me.....

9. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

I think

Middleburns an WI are just fine but far from light. Many sheeple think that they are really light and stiff. If you want custom chainrings arm lengths:bang: But for lighter stiffer and cheaper cranks the Shimano stuff can't be beat.

Did you get the Large or XL?

ps. What the heck are you doing in Kanada?

10. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    who cares about light...and what does light mean? they are plenty light, as would XTs be....any difference in weight is so trivial and meaningless so its all good....as you say, its preference and I like em....but my polished (crappy polish job at that) XTRs work well as SS cranks too though; still prefer middleburns with Phil Wood BB, but thats me

In Canadia cuz of werk....

Got the L which with a laidback post is sweet for me! I have always been on the L/XL and have always gone with L FS frames cuz guess what, preference :)

My single speed is a Large/Xl semi-custom

My new Ventana too will be a stock Large

11. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I like mine. I wouldn't trade them for XT's, that's for sure. You need to talk to Brian more often :D

12. Acadian

Acadian New Member

I do have 2 pairs...but unfortunately they are both 170's (that's all I use) - sorry :(

13. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing
    I do have a set of Middleburns on my RIP and love them, that said I also have Paul's with a Phil Wood SQ taper on the SS, XT's on the Socom, and Bonte's going on the Dos with a Boone 28 to make a 1X9... Bottom line here is run what you like...

14. donkey

donkey New Member

The Path Bike Shop
    Another consideration here is the fact that both Middleburn and WI offer spiderless chainrings....which is a really, really nice feature as it typically eliminates the tight spot found in most SS drivetrains.

Also worth noting.....both cranksets are relatively light when paired up with a nice, light BB. A Phil or WI ti swquare taper is well under 200 grams. I have a set of Middleburns on my Moots......the cranks, rings and BB are only a few grams heavier then the current 970 XTR setup AND it allows me to run a 20-29-42 combo(which I would be happy to gain weight for).

Another consideration that everyone here seems to be missing is chainline and Q factor. I really like to ability to dial in my chainline/Q by swapping spindle lengths.....something you can't do with the outboard stuff.

B

15. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

<<< spiderless chainrings & ability to dial in my chainline/Q by swapping spindle>> yes two of the main reasons why I love my WI set up!:clap::beer:

16. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I run a Platinum FSA on my bike. Also great because the Middleburns were basically the only choice so I could run a 28T chainring :) Can't do that with XTR, can you?

17. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    For the reason's given by Allison and Brian gave above, I have square taper 5 arm spider cranks on all my bikes and they all can run single chainrings without a spider. You never now where your biking we take you in the future and with Middleburns/White Bros can get handed down to the next build. I have a collection of different sized 5 arm chainrings...try that with a 4 arm spider.

Dean

18. Reedster

Reedster Active Member

Teacher
    Is that 28T in 94mm? What brand is it? Where did you get it? I have some Middleburns and am looking for a smaller chainring for when I run 1x8.

Thanks,

~R

19. donkey

donkey New Member

The Path Bike Shop
    Allison is rocking a spiderless Boone ring.

Ritchey used to offer a 28t 94bcd ring for their 2x9 setup. It requires the use of their bigring and proprietary chainring bolts/spacers. I still have a set of their 2x9 cranks with this setup on it and it's really, really nice. I hesitate to use them because I don't want to wear the ring out:)

All that being said.....on a conventional setup a 29 is the smallest you're gonna get......and those are getting hard to find. I buy any that I find and stockpile them at the Path:)

B

20. cjwally

cjwally I love techno.

B - That is exactly what I wanted... Thanks for the info bud.