Michelle Malkin and Immigration

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Bomber, Apr 29, 2010.

1. F.A.D.

F.A.D. POWERED BY MUSUBIS

Feeds me
    No, it's either you came here legally, or you came here illegally. Also, this is following the current immigration regulation, not the past. You, the citizens are the ones who put the current regulations in place by majority vote by your representatives. I feel the law is pretty cut and dry. If you're an immigrant, you have to abide by their rules. Just as if an american went overseas to work, they would be under whatever current regulations that the other country would impose on that person. The laws are not suggestions.

2. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    Do you live in AZ or travel there very often? If NOT then you are safe from being asked....FOR NOW

It would make sense to carry it if you do while THERE....how bad would it suck if you got pulled over for speeding and asked for your license/registration/proof of ins/proof of citizenship even though you are Casper white....

You KNOW damn well that w/ all the media scrutiny that they will be asking EVERYONE....but I do understand your point...

Let me ask you this...what if you get pulled over by a Hispanic cop? Everyone acts like AZ has ONLY white cops and they are Billy Bob hillbillies.....

3. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    1. we are a county of immigrants

2. the "laws" have been ignored/not enforced for decades. why? because the gov't wants it that way--many industries depend on cheap labor. there is at least a 45-year history of this. throw in reagan's amnesty and what does it really say to immigrants: "Come here, work hard, stay out of trouble and eventually you might be able to become an american, or at least you won't be treated like a common criminal." anything else is just economic slavery...

4. F.A.D.

F.A.D. POWERED BY MUSUBIS

Feeds me
    I think I realize that this is a country of immigrants (currently am one).

Just because a law has been ignored/not enforced to the full extent does not make it unfair when they decide that it should be enforced. Just because you haven't been caught yet, does not justify the action.

Follow the rules and have nothing to worry about. Don't follow the rules and look over your shoulders in fear of the consequences. Pretty simple.

5. ezzyride

ezzyride New Member

Research
    And there are people that live with this fear everyday. It's there on their way to work and on the way. Mothers fear they will not make it home to their children. Yet, because life if difficult they choose to deal with the consequences when it's that time. Unfortunatley there a few rotten apples in the group that ruin it for everyone. And people choose to focus on the negative.

If the issue was easy it would have been resolved long ago.

When I cross the border with my sister if I am driving we switch she becomes the driver. My sister is white and I am tan. If she is driving we just get the signal to cross. It's just the way things are...

At this time I am a latina without a passport. Hopefully I won't be rejected from joining MTB rides.

-Elvia

6. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    Some questions asked by reporters to Sheriff Joe

Washington, D.C.: How can law enforcement "reasonably suspect" someone of being undocumented without racial profiling? Other than race, what are the key indicators?

Sheriff Joe Arpaio: When you have a legitimate contact during law enforcement operations, you should be able to ask for identification which law enforcement does anyway on a daily basis. You ask for ID and you see if that person is here illegally by checking out the immigratin status of the person. We don't go around picking people off the streets because they look like they're from another country just because of their race.

Los Angeles, Calif.: What criteria will law enforcement officers use to determine whether someone is suspiciously illegal? If the criteria is not codified in the law, will it then be up to the police officers to create their own criteria, creating disparate application of the law across the state?

Sheriff Joe Arpaio: Technically in the law it says no racial profiling, that's in the new law. That's why there's a lot of training going on to train police officers to ensure that there is no racial profiling.

Perris, CA: How confident are you that this law will not lead to civil rights lawsuits going against the State of AZ and why?

Sheriff Joe Arpaio: My office in the last three years has been very tough on illegal immigation. We have investigated, arrested, detained in our jails over 38,000 illegal aliens with very few lawsuits. So I'm confident that this law can be carried out without many allegations of racial profiling

Middle Island, N.Y.: Are you going after the employers of the illegals? If not, why not? I personally believe that this problem is two-fold: one is the illegals themselves and the other is the employer who hires the illegals. If we do not go after both this problem will never end. What are your thoughts?

Sheriff Joe Arpaio: My office has been enforciong a state employer sanction law which is civil against the employers (this needs to be less civil and more monetary). We have arrested in 31 different raids of businesses about 380 people and out of the 380 that are illegal, 231 were arrested for stealing people's identification. It's very difficult to connect the employers knowingly hiring the employees but we have arrested over 231 employees for phony IDs. (I do agree that forged or stolen ID's would cause a problem for employers to prove the ID is just that since they aren't trained in phony ID's)

Manassas, Va.: I wholeheartedly support your efforts of enforcing the law. However, what concerns me is that it will be drowned by those who claim racism against Hispanics. What measures have you taken to articulate and assure this is not a racist matter but simply of enforcing the law?

Sheriff Joe Arpaio: Demonstators have followed me around for years and continue to in front of my office building calling me Hitler and every name in the book but in my response I'm still doing the job. Last night, with all the controv ersy, I sent out 200 deputy sheriffs and volunteer posse and within 12 hours arrested 93 people, around 65 were illegal aliens involved in human smuggling.

Boston, MA: Do you think this law will have a real impact on reducing the increased levels of drug and violent offenses, which I assume is the underlying point of the law?

Sheriff Joe Arpaio: Yes. In my jail today we have almost 100 people charged with murder and they're all illegally here. Plus many other violent crimes. If they were not in this country we would not have 18 percent of the people in the jails here that have many violent crimes.

I think the real reason is that they have violated the law by crossing that border and being here and if people violate the law they should be held accountable.

New York, N.Y.: If you are in Mexico and a Mexican police officer asked for your ID, would you be upset at being momentarily detained or do you believe this is proper police action no matter what the country?

Sheriff Joe Arpaio: Well I was the director in Mexico of the U.S. Drug Enforcement. I know how they operate in Mexico. And you better show them the ID; their laws are a little different than ours. The audacity of the Mexican president to encourage people to boycott Arizona is not right and they ought to look at their own country first.

Arlington, Va.: Hypothetical situation: I am a US Citizen, college age and of Hispanic ethnicity. Having a hard time getting an internship, I decide that I am going to do day labor and go to an area where people of this trade congregate. Police investigate the group for illegal immigrants, and some of the people are undoubtedly in this category and undocumented. I just happened to leave all my IDs at home. Would I get taken in under suspicion of being an illegal immigrant?

Sheriff Joe Arpaio: That's part of the new law that anybody that impedes traffic by parking the car or truck to pick up day laborers both of them the driver and the people coming to vehicle could be in violation. Common sense says that the officer would do a ltitle checking if they decide to arrest the person. I'm sure they'd talk to the person to figure out his identification, so I wouldn't worry about this in that situation. Every case is different in law enforcement.

Washington DC: Isn't it true that the Arizona law mirrors the Federal law? and if so "declaring the Arizona law unconstitutional" would make the federal law unconstitutional?

Sheriff Joe Arpaio: That's correct. You are right on target. not to mention it was written by a Constitutional Law professor

Silver Spring, MD: If you were the Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, how would you address the country's illegal immigration problem?

Sheriff Joe Arpaio: I would continue to crack down on those here illegally in the interior of the U.S., instead of just talking about the cliches of we must secure the border, more boots on the ground, it's not just a border issue ... it's a total U.S. issue and you have to hit this problem on all different fronts. and hopefully will be address NATIONALLY

Kennesaw, Ga.: I am a 25-year-old Mexican-American male, first-generation American citizen. Say I drive through Arizona and get pulled over for speeding. I have dark brown skin, black hair, brown eyes, I am wearin old raggety construction clothes. Am i more likely to be asked to prove my citizenship than a blonde-haired, blue-eyed driver that also got pulled over for speeding?

Sheriff Joe Arpaio: The answer is no. We pull over many people irregardless of their ethnic background or what they look like, that doesn't come into the picture.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2010
  7. hunterp101

hunterp101 Member

Nerd
    The reason these laws have been ignored was so big business and growers could get labor on the cheap and not have to pay real living wages. They have the workers by the balls because the worker has no power to complain about working conditions, pay, etc. It's been a long time coming to fix the problem and now it's time. Arizona's law is garbage but they felt backed into a corner. If I was a member of one of those border farming families who has had a member murdered by the cartels or just illegal immigrants trying to rob them you can bet your ass I would have voted the same way on this law.

What it seems the people fail to realize is that this country does not OWE anyone a right to citizenship. You earn it by following the rules. You get a Visa, you work, you learn the language (this is a big one for me), and you pay for it the way you are supposed to. Do we need to streamline the process? Yes. Do we need to make it more fair? Yes. But that does not mean you should get a pass for doing it wrong.

I'm about as liberal as you can get on just about every issue but this is a step too far for me. Like I said earlier, the fact that these people are trying to compare this to Nazi Germany and to the Jim Crowe laws in the south is about as offensive as it gets.

Welcome to the club people. I can't count how many times in my life I have been pulled over and gotten the "what are you doing in this neighborhood" bit. Even a few guns pulled on me before. Of course I always "fit the description" of someone who did something bad recently.

I didn't see or hear any of these people protesting while this has been happening to blacks in this country for the last 100 years.

8. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes I know.....I'm not proof reading and checking grammar of this....just copy and pasting

It should also be noted that the definition in most dictionaries is simply listed as regardless (along with the note nonstandard, or similar). Merriam–Webster even states "Use regardless instead."

That is one of my pet peeve words....

it's a different world NOW.....w/ the internet....allows for MORE opinions to be seen by way more people...

but again this LAW to me isn't about race....it's about immigration well Illegal Immigration

9. Cilantro13

Cilantro13 ...

(1) Look, the law can be implemented one of two ways. You can require everybody to provide proof citizenship or you can identify groups that tend to be here illegally (e.g., Latin Americans), and focus on them knowing that illegals from other demographics are probably going to slip by. And frankly, I don't even know that the law says "pick on Latino's" -- I think the law is race neutral. All it says (and I haven't read it) from what I have read is that law enforcement is permitted to require proof of citizenship if they think a person is here illegally.

It is a damned if you, damned if you don't proposition. If Arizona had picked the first door, the left would be up in arms about invasion of privacy. If Arizona picks the second door, everybody is up in arms about discrimination.

You can't win in this situation unless you do nothing. Which is exactly what I hear the people in this forum critical of the Arizona law saying. Do nothing. Status quo, forever. Who cares about immigration law or rules? Who cares if a few U.S. citizen ranchers in Arizona are murdered by people who shouldn't be here in the first place. We haven't enforced it for years, so we should never enforce it...

Worse, yet is my sneaking suspicion that the left wants to do nothing and legalize these people because as voting block they are more than likely going to vote left.

(2) To those who are advocating going after employers -- you will get no argument from me or from the rest of the right, I think. Arizona already has this statue on the books, and it has been effective to an extent.

We should go after the employers. They are just as guilty. Moreover, they incentivize hard working, albeit illegal, Latin American immigrants to come across the border.

In practice, however, it is really hard to prove the employer knew they were hiring illegals because the illegal immigrants typically use stolen or forged credentials. To that end, maybe a National ID card with embedded biometric data is a really good idea.

(3) People (both sides here) keep saying how this law is going to be enforced before it has even gone into effect. None of us know how it is going to be enforced.

Why don't we do as the Framer's of the Constitution suggest and let Arizona be the lab of democracy. Maybe this law will suck in practice and maybe it will be super effective. Maybe it will lead to racial profiling and discrimination, maybe it won't. But nobody knows yet. Why don't we give it a chance to work or not work.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2010
  10. Silver

Silver New Member

Way to not answer the question, Joe...

(The answer, by the way, is hell yes.)

11. mtbski

mtbski New Member

Sanitation worker
    socaltrailracists?

By vilifying illegal workers we overlook the obvious reason that they are here in the first place; jobs!

This is a great tactic to distract us all from the cause of this problem.

This is not a chicken and the egg scenario!
    Take away the work and the illegal aliens will stop coming over, mostly. This will be tough to do because you and I and business thrive on this cheap labor.

To solve this problem we should enact and enforce laws at a national level that punish businesses for luring these people over our borders and into our communities in the first place. Fine businesses and private parties for hiring illegal labor.

No jobs, no money, no motivation to come here. Problem solved- mostly.

Socaltrailracists? I don't think so.

Misguided? Yes.

12. bloose

bloose New Member

You all are missing the point... This law does nothing but allow officers to hastle people for another reason. It doesnt get at the problem of immigration and none of you give any solutions to these problems. ID cards will be forged and fences will be jumped as long cheap labor is needed. You cant stop this problem you can only get realistic. And again the fence, ID cards and enforcement cost alot of money and we know they dont work. And as long as we let our war on drugs continue mexico will continue to be the wild west so people will want to come over. drug dealers will want to sell their drugs here and normal people will want to escape the danger.

13. ManInAShed

ManInAShed New Member

Destroyer of worlds.
    After reviewing all the arguments made here and weighing all the points, and considering how much the people who actually make the decisions pay attention or care about what any of us think about this or anything, and even if they did, the nonexistant chances of them reading it here, I've concluded that there are on the order of around eighteen million other more important things I could be devoting my attention to that I might actually have some chance of affecting in some positive way.

I do look forward to seeing Arizona attempt to sustain its desert cities while removing its only source of cheap labor.

14. mtbski

mtbski New Member

Sanitation worker
    You are so right!

I've heard that fake CA drivers licenses were being sold at Macarthur park in LA.
    Wow, I wonder what else is being forged.

So let's see, a guy with a heavy accent doesn't speak or want to speak English, presents a drivers license, birth certificate and social security card on a routine traffic stop. If I were the cop I would take his stinking a$$ to jail. No regular US Citizen would drive around with this kind of documentation.

"Zed, we're taking this amigo in for questioning and a full body cavity search. He's got too much documentation, he can't be legal! "

This shite is comical.

edit: I'm hitting Chantry, whose with me? Don't bother responding if your name is JoeTruth or if you're illegal or if you have brown skin. I don't want static from the rangers. Thanx!

Another edit: I wonder if the cops in AZ would kick my a$$ if I presented this...
    [​IMG]

15. Cilantro13

Cilantro13 ...

I may not agree with you on everything, but the below deserves: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:.

Thanks for the laugh.

16. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    Apparently you can't read or chose to not see a clear cut answer....the italicized part is setting up the scenario and the bold part is the actual question

Kennesaw, Ga.: I am a 25-year-old Mexican-American male, first-generation American citizen. Say I drive through Arizona and get pulled over for speeding. I have dark brown skin, black hair, brown eyes, I am wearin old raggety construction clothes. Am i more likely to be asked to prove my citizenship than a blonde-haired, blue-eyed driver that also got pulled over for speeding?

Sheriff Joe Arpaio: The answer is no.

We pull over many people irregardless of their ethnic background or what they look like, that doesn't come into the picture.

17. mtbski

mtbski New Member

Sanitation worker
    Seriously, try telling this to a black man in this country.

He will tell you bull$hit mother&^%*$r

18. ManInAShed

ManInAShed New Member

Destroyer of worlds.
    Is that how black men talk?

Dammit, now i'm back looking at this useless thread.

19. Manny43

Manny43 New Member

blue collar
    :-k...my take on this is to shoot any f*%k-nut that looks Hispanic or Canadian, anywhere near the Northern/Southern borders. All those who run, are illegal aliens, those who don't, are well disciplined illegal aliens...:lol:

20. Silver

Silver New Member

I've got some familiarity with the public relations industry. A quick answer followed by a bridge to an unrelated message point is something they teach on the first day.

If everyone pulled over for a traffic violation is asked to show citizenship papers, I'll gladly come back and say I was totally wrong.

I mean, you can spin this any way you want, but the fact of the matter is you're going to be hassling American citizens who happen to look vaguely Mexican.