Marshall Canyon Newbie Ride

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by genusmtbkr5, Feb 26, 2008.

?

Who is going to eat afterwards?

1. YES, eating at T.Phillips after the ride

64.4%
  2. no, I will not be joining ya

35.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

I guess if you include Potato Mountain, the loop ends-up being 17 miles and 3200 feet ascent. I suppose that would be the A group. If so, what's the B loop?
    [​IMG]

2. thebush

thebush DW vs. CVA

We did Skyline to Beeks to Blackstar and then back up and of course he (mrtawney) big ringed the entire thing :?:

RE: SS

Very doable through Marshall up to CWP and then a little tougher on the way up to Potato with the difficulty increasing as you start reaching the top of Potato.

3. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    I'll defer to some of the locals there. I've only been there once and we did some climbing, but not all the way to the top. I'm open for suggestions on any variation and also some help with leaders and sweeps. As I've learned form past newbie rides, you can never have enough.

4. ghixon

ghixon Look Ma - No hands!

Sales
    Agree on the SS. The second SS ride I did was at Marshall. Potato Mtn. was a bit of a pain in the behind, but it's doable.

I don't think Matt is human. Or he's got an electric motor hidden on the thing somewhere.

5. ohyeah89

ohyeah89 LEARN-IMPROVE-TRAIN

Water Biologist
  6. 53-12

53-12 by design

Landscape Architecture
    'B' Loop?

Start at the school, ride up the channel, go through Marshall to Claremont (this is where the 'A' group splits off for Potato.) Meanwhile the 'B' group descends through Cobal Canyon and loops back up Burbank Canyon before descending back through Marshall to the start. Of course there may also be some in the group who want to check out Webb and Johnson Pasture areas. Would that mean 'C' group?

7. CC

CC V.P. Kickstand Inspection

unemployed, Sales Exec for a Steel company
    I'm with you Nancy...It's about time...:bang:

And don't forget the switchbacks. There are lots of options on the way down. For the very novice there is the fire road, and most beginners can handle the switchbacks, if you decide on web canyon you might have a short road ride back.

8. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    53-12 has the same idea I have. Studs and studettes can climb Potato which is just steep and not technical, but there's a newer cut on the side that is singletrack that will add some fun to the descent. In fact, then descent back is a hoot, but I think the "A" group will want to ride the CWP loop (5 miles) on the way back. The distance is there for sure and if I was a little faster I'd lead it, well, make that a lot faster. Maybe Mr Tawney can lead that group. You really can't get lost here as long as you head back in the general dirsection you came.

SS-friendly for sure, especially the "C" group. Still not sure of that route, but it might just be to the top of the second entrance to Marshall or up to CWP and then cut over and do the singletrack from there.Still a very beginner type ride.

Joe, not technically the IE but it is a 909 area code and mostly people from the IE ride here so we claim it as our own. My gawd man, let us a least pretend we gots some class!

9. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    I think it'll be much better at Marshall this time. Last time we were there the air was still nasty from the fires.

10. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    I also say we can park at the school and the park there should be plenty of parking, but there is another school on Baseline we can park at too.

11. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

So sorry, big Mike. Didn't mean to over-step my boundaries (no pun intended). Can't we all just share? After all, it does border on the 626 and 909 territories. ;)

(How bad/steep is Potato Mtn as a climb? Give me a comparison please?)

12. davidB

davidB Active Member

the last 3/4 mile is killer (loose and steep). Been up there once, and once was good enough for me. I'll take the B line that day

13. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    A little steeper then say that first climb at La Tuna. But it's short.

14. genusmtbkr5

OK here is who I have as leads or sweeps so far.

Mike(Pain Freak), jfromlv, denmother, Roger, CC,

I'll be sweeping the "B" group. I'll need a lead for "B" group and a route. This is the main group so it has to be newbie friendly.

Both a leader and a sweep for "A" group and the route you guys are talking about sounds great. We want this group to go out and ride their ride, get the climbs and miles in.

"C" group will stay with the "B" group and if needed will break off from the "B" group if it gets too hard and we can regroup at some point. Radios work well as long as we all have one. Jason already said he would lead the "A" group.

15. genusmtbkr5

The routes sound great to me. Any links on geoladders I can use? The "A'' group will head up Potato after splitting from "B" group. We will only have a "C" if there is a need otherwise, just the 2 groups will do. I will cut and paste the route 53-12 posted on the event. PM me if you feel I need to change anything.

16. un-kola

un-kola Just another Homer!

Retired!
    You might try A.G.Phillips,(I believe that's the name of the establishment),on D-street in old town LaVerne for post ride beers and lunch.70 beers on tap :beer: and food prices that are about the same as BJ's or the Yardhouse,with patio dining about 5 minutes from the trailhead.I have to work Friday night so I'll need to get off on Saturday night if I'm going to make this ride.[-o-] - Lloyd

17. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

Rode up to Potato from my house yesterday via Evey Canyon and the singletrack coming down from the top was actually in great shape except the last 70' or so. Worth a short but fun trip down for those that feel the need lower your seat and hang on!! I did however notice something missing standing on top of the tank looking out from Potato. :-k
    I'm just saying ??

[​IMG]

18. jfromlv

jfromlv trail sanitizer

Student
    Good call on the eats, it's actually T.E. Phillips, but I don't care what you want to call it when I'm eating there after the ride!

19. BFloFoxRider.

BFloFoxRider. Active Member

Army

:eek: No mexican food after the ride for Jason?
    Thats a big surprise.. Why would you rather go to a beer place with 70 beers on tap when you'll order rootbeer anyways? #-o
    Anyways, maybe ill mett everyone down there from my house.. ill ride down there or maybe meet up at claremont wilderness trail

20. jfromlv

jfromlv trail sanitizer

Student
    I'll bring my own tortillas and wrap up whatever I order and call it a burrito!:lol: I'm pretty sure they serve water too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.