Maple Springs

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by JamR, Feb 18, 2005.

1. CalEpic

CalEpic member

Weather Channel story

Wow - I'm sure that will be an adventure you guys will not soon forget. I'm sorry to hear about the lost bikes. At least everyone is mostly in one piece. I guess it's a good justification for spending ridiculous amounts of money on a new bike!

I was looking forward to riding with you guys soon but now I'm thinking you are not such good luck :D

I wish this rain would stop.

C

2. JamR

JamR Moderator

Senior Planning & Field Operations Manager
    Re: ...

Don't know how much the frame goes for, but I'll start calling around today to find out.

Real sweet frame though. Disc only frame, nice welds, and the eccentric bottom bracket allows for around 1" of adjustment.

I have a Ventana El Conquistador FS mountain tandem with the same eccentric BB, and it's really easy to adjust the chain tension with.

I like the idea of having the chain tensioning done at the bottom bracket instead of the drop outs. This way there's no brake adjustment required.

I'll let you know where I find the best deal at. Maybe we can get a discount for two frames \:D/

3. chumbaracing

chumbaracing Guest

Yea that definitely sounds good. JAMR, are you interested in a Chumba Wumba SS??

4. JamR

JamR Moderator

After 27 years of marriage and 22 years mountain biking, she's come to expect something like this every three to five years. This one was cheap compared to my last ICU stay 3 1/2 years ago. :)

As long as I call her around the time I told her she would be hearing from me after a ride, everything’s fine. The only two times I didn't call her on time after a ride in 22 years I was being carried out of the park on a backboard. Once by ambulance and once by helicopter.

She's a pretty good sport about this mountain biking thing...............it only took her about 2 minutes into our conversation before she asked me what new frame I was going to get \:D/

Have not seen one yet, but I hear there great frames. I'll check it out.

5. chumbaracing

chumbaracing Guest

Yea, my friend owns the company. I e-mailed him about new frames, he says we can have them custom fit for us.

only problem is that I hear their frames are extremely pricey...

6. JamR

JamR Moderator

Re: ..

Especially if you're going to end up dropping it into a fast running stream :D

7. chumbaracing

chumbaracing Guest

JAMR, u want to stop by chumba wumba with me? Its in anaheim.

2/7/98. Nathan Cook, 20, an Occidental College student, died as a result of either a fall from his mountain bike or from a flash flood someplace 5 miles up trail from the Arroyo Seco / El Prieto Canyon trailhead. He was said to have been headed for Mt. Wilson. His car was parked at the parking lot at Windsor and Ventura in Altadena, and his bike, eyeglasses and helmet with a broken chin-strap were found "5 miles from" the trailhead a few hours after a search for him began. 7 February was the second day of a 4-day period of rain in a wet winter, so the trails were undoubtedly very slippery. In addition, at the location where his bike was found, search and rescue officials found water lines on trees in the mountains well above the height of a person's head. Officials said that such levels indicate that there might have been a flash flood.

Nathan was an experienced mountain biker and hiker, but was clearly biking under very poor conditions on single-track trails.

Helicopters, search dogs and over 20 people searched for him beginning on 2/9/98 after his friends reported him missing. His body, "partially covered with branches and debris and wedged up against the base of a tree" was recovered in Hahamongna Watershed Park (aka Devil's Gate Dam) on 2/11/98. Sources: PSN 2/10/98; 2/11/98; 2/12/98; LAT 2/12/98, B5.

8. moochy

moochy New Member

Student
    That's horrible what happened to the store on silverado. Apparently a "juvenile girl" was killed while in her bedroom (its a home on the second floor). A boulder washed down from the mountain and crashed through the house/store. It's on the front page of the Oc register. I wouldn't be surprised if they evacuate silverado since it'll rain for a couple more days. I'm glad we all got out of there ok...makes our bikes seem very trivial.

9. chumbaracing

chumbaracing Guest

Seriously, thank God we're all still alive.

10. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Wow. The stories of the lost biker and the landslide on silverado hit close to home. My prayers are with them.

Articles page is detailed accounts from Dell, Mike, and myself.

11. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Holy smokes!

You guys stepped in something good that day.  Granted, it sucks to lose bikes but it sounded like things could have been a whole lot worse.

Adam(JamR), glad to see you're still going big.  I met you a few years ago at a Clinic at Peter's Canyon.  You helped me with install a new drive train on my Trek Hardtail back then when I just started riding.  Thanks again man.  That bike is still rolling.  Though, as a Singlespeed now!

Anyhow, that's a great story.  I'm glad that nobody was seriously hurt. I think the Dirtrag essay contest is calling your names.  

Carl

12. EBasil

EBasil Member

Home Page:
    Man, you guys got lucky!!

I cannot resist pointing out that, at exactly the moment one of you began the process of throwing a Yeti, loud bells should have been ringing... [-X

13. El Jefe

El Jefe New Member

I just got off the phone with Adam, and told him I'm up for a search and rescue mission. I'm free from now until sunset if anyone is up for another adventure.

14. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Water's probably still too dangerous right now (i'm guessing?). Can you come help saturday morning? That's when a lot of us are free. Check out this thread: http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=200

15. El Jefe

El Jefe New Member

I think I probably will be free. Contact Adam for my phone and email.

16. Schecky

Schecky SoCalMTBubbs

Holy cow! I'm glad you all made it.
    All the write-ups are great - If they go to Dirtrag, they should all go.
    Maybe you guys should get some 'Fellowship of the Maple Springs' tattoos?

17. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

I would love to go to Maple Springs. It's time to do some riding.

18. CalEpic

CalEpic member

On your time machine? :lol:

19. maxwell

maxwell Dirty Stinky PATH Love

CRASH TEST DUMMY $#%&*^#
    Home Page:
  20. TrailJesus

TrailJesus New Member

student
    According to Gene Maple Springs is closed right now due to the fires. [-X