Mammoth this weekend 8/8/09

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by stinkyrider, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

firstly, upper velocity is a trail that most people will never ride. it's a stupid slog just to get to it, and you need to go down skidmarks anyway.

upper skidmarks is in great shape actually, and there's a pretty good line through all the rocks, so you can no brake things until you hit a switchback.

yeah, things are loose, but really not as bad as some people say. I was running a 2.5 nevegal and a 2.5 minion DHR without any problems with grip. only one sweeping righty on upper follow me was ever a problem, but it's off camber, blown out, and really fast.

nothing wrong with camping, but I REALLY appreciate having a warm shower after a long day of riding. if people don't mind sleeping on the floor, I hear there's some pretty cheap places to stay up there.

if possible, I might be able to drive, but I may need to borrow a 4-bike rack from someone. if I can do that, I could carry 4 people + bikes + gear fairly comfortably.

2. 27tat27

27tat27 Two Wheels One Pilot

Offroad fabricator
    Skids is only a tire muncher and spoke breaker if you use breaks and crash alot...!!!! as for McCoy down there was to long of a line at the bottom to not come from the top of the moutain....
    [​IMG]This weeks gunna fly... I have a place up there.... Trade ride for bunk..!!! anyone.....??? Up friday night back sun.....

3. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

I might be able to arrange something, gotta talk to my dad about borrowing the big car though.

btw, any of those picture come out?

4. 27tat27

27tat27 Two Wheels One Pilot

Offroad fabricator
    I only took a few but here they are... I went on a little hike on sunday and the devil's postpile was so cool....
    Next week ill take my big camera and get a bunch of pics...

Attached Files:

5. jamisjake

jamisjake Active Member

Industrial Mechanic
    Dude! Sounds great!:beer:

6. minimusprime

minimusprime Did I just taste purple?

thanks for posting guys. If you don't mind I've got a quick question.

I'm going to be heading up to mammoth for the first time with a friend. we're on AM bikes (enduro and pitch) and will both be running 2.3 tires. We ride decently hard for the bikes we're on...

Would you guys mind suggesting some runs for us?

Thanks.

7. dirt addict

dirt addict New Member

I am hoping to head up there for the first time this weekend. Any pointers from the Mammoth veterans?

8. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

lets see...follow me would be pretty good. it's bumpy, but few rocks to pinch on etc. more loose and fast than anything.

flow-shotgun would also be a good call. not a ton of rock gardens, but plenty of good, flowy, loose awesomeness.

velocity might also be a good candidate, but is faster/rougher in places.

more than trails, I would highly recommend investing in a bigger front tire if you aren't used to looooose riding. a 2.5 nevegal can be had fairly cheaply, and works quite well up there. it's a $40 investment that will make your day more enjoyable.

same goes for running tubeless in at least your back wheel if you don't have it. nothing ruins a good run like a pinch flat.

dirt addict: same advice on the big tire/tubeless rear. other than that, just take it easy and don't drop into anything you can't see without looking at it first. there's some stuff that can get ugly if you aren't expecting it. notably, chainsmoke, bullet, and some lower trails like techno rock should be taken slowly until you see everything.

9. dubl_xl

dubl_xl I'd rather go down

Electrician

Nice fat front tire (2.5 +) to help you corner in the kitty litter berms :lol:

Cambria Bike Outfitters AKA CBO has Hutchinson Octopus tires in 2.5" for $19. They are pretty heavy but are UST with nice thick sidewalls. Last year I ran a Maxxis High Roller in 2.5" @ $40 a tire and ripped the sidewall on the second run of the day. I haven't ripped an Octopus sidewall yet, they are pretty tough although pretty heavy.

10. pmortuary

pmortuary They call me D2

Lead CAD Designer
    Alright everythings set. I'll be riding up Friday Morning and hopefully on the hill before McDonalds changes from the Breakfast menu.

Still no ones said where the party is. Don't be so shy people lets take over some place.

11. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

working on finding people to fill up the car, then I'm good to go. Got the right springs in the M6 and everything ;)

12. BFloFoxRider.

BFloFoxRider. Active Member

Army
    I;ll call your mammoth trip and raise you a race weekend at northstar. JK, i wont be there, i will be racing EXPERT more than likely in northstar this weekend, pending the course.

13. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

eh, I'll be having more fun than a bull in a china shop, so I'm good. mammoth was amazing last weekend on the reign, I can only imagine what it'll be like with the new boxxer and an extra 3" of travel :bang::bang::bang:

14. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

This Week's Trails Report

This Week's Trails Report

Report updated 12:26 PM Tue Aug 4, 2009

The new Mountain-X couse going in on Broadway above Main Lodge is coming in nicely. The crew is hoping to have construction completed later this week or early next week.

Uptown and Downtown trails are closed through Thursday for maintenance. Downtown riders will be detoured to Lower Paper Route and Big Ring to Canyon Lodge.

All other Bike Park trails are currently open with the exception of Upper Velocity, which is still covered with a bit of snow. To see the latest news and pictures from the Bike Park, follow us on twitter or check out our blog at http://livevibe.mammothmountain.com/.

The Chair 2 Shuttle Bus is running weekends from 11am-4pm allowing for super fast laps back to the gondola. The bike park shuttle is running daily from the Village to Main Lodge from 9am-5:30pm with a shuttle leaving every 20-30 minutes. The Panorama Gondola is running daily from 9am-4:30pm daily. Lessons and Demo Bike Rentals are available at the Adventure Center across from Main Lodge or the Mountain Center in the Village at Mammoth.

15. ladera Dave

ladera Dave New Member

Millwork project manager
    Just got back, try Flow trail Awesome. Have fun

16. kellyn8

kellyn8 New Member

I've never rode Mammoth before but I'm thinking this weekend I may sneek out of work early on Friday and drive up so that i can ride all Saturday.

Is it worth the drive from San Diego? Are the runs pretty long?

17. DH GLORY

DH GLORY New Member

Yes,Yes, If you are coming from S.D you should stay Sunday.

Attached Files:

18. stinkyrider

stinkyrider ....BANSHEE RIDER

burden of the state
    There's approximately 100 miles (claimed) of lift accessed of trails to ride and you can get up to 3,000 vertical feet in a single run. Hell ya it's worth it.

19. Dynamatt

Dynamatt Ride or Die

Prop Maker
    Home Page:
    Can we get a roster of who's going up this weekend?? And a meeting place and time, i'd love to kick it with some str peeps for lunch.. Ill be up there from 8/7-8/9.. I'll start it

Dynamatt
    BigEhit

20. stinkyrider

stinkyrider ....BANSHEE RIDER

burden of the state
    Me, happy_gilmore and Bryguy17 will be chilling at the adventure center waiting for the Gondola to open at about 8:00-8:30 AM on both saturday and sunday.

We will be riding mostly the diamond runs like chainsmoke, technorock, shock treatment, etc.