Luge Trail Conditions

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by kioti, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    The Good, the Bad, the Luge (Updated 12-14-12)

I've been wanting to do some work on the Luge for awhile, and finally got the chance today. Mostly I wanted to tweak a couple repairs we made during the big trailwork day in January.

The first fix was on a sweeping left just below the big S turn. It was built to my specs by some of the volunteers when we repaired all the storm damage. My hope at the time was that we could have both drainage and a berm. The trouble is, a lot of us (including me) were overshooting the berm because the drainage was at the top of the turn. My mistake. I rebuilt the turn today so it has a better line, and I'll deal with drainage issues if they become a problem.

The second spot I worked on was a little farther down where we reestablished the trail through a mudslide, and added a small drop. The work was good and held up for the last couple months, but I felt that too much momentum was lost before the drop. I flattened the approach and cleaned up the drop, and it should flow better now.

Again, thanks to the volunteers who showed up back in late December and early January. We accomplished a heck of a lot in a short amount of time. Hopefully today's work will build on those repairs.

2. ebenke

ebenke Member

Project Director, architecture, technical side
    Thanks Kioti - I can't wait to make my next run down.....Sounds like some nice improvements....

3. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

Thanks, Jim! I'll be checking it out tomorrow on my way down from Joplin.

4. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Kioti - awesome! That berm was a little strange, so thanks for moving it out. And anything that helps flow and drainage sounds great. I'll give it a try tomorrow morning. Thank you x1million for all of your work.

5. Pro29r

Pro29r New Member

Thanks for working the trail! Rode up to Old Camp late Wenesday afternoon and ejoyed a flowing Luge run. Trail is settling down quite nicely. Hope fellow riders think twice before going out and tearing up trails after signicant rainfall.

6. fanatic

fanatic Member

Marine Superintendent
    Send me an email the next time you are working on the trail. I would like to get out there and help.

Aaron

7. kioti

kioti Active Member

Agreed. It never quite lived up to my expectations.. Not that I'd recommend flat-out railing the new berm! (At least on the first run.) And watch for the rocks on the left if you launch the drop down trail a bit.

Here's a question.. Higher up on the Luge (below the rocky section and after a flat left-hander), there's a spot where the trail drops into a deep, narrow trough. I like it skinny and deep, and think it's a challenging little section (especially when muddy). Someone has widened and flattened it, and I'm planning to make it narrow again. Any objections?

8. d'man

d'man Dirt Lover

Certified Financial Planner
    Thanks, Jim. I overshot that same berm last weekend. Should be a good improvement! :clap::clap::clap:

9. kioti

kioti Active Member

The new berm is wider and deeper and captures the whole turn. I might have to beef up the exit on it if we're drifting over the top. I'll try to get on it tomorrow to see how it rides, and you guys can post your opinions of it here, too.

10. kioti

kioti Active Member

I'm glad you had a good ride. I rode it last night and was happy to see it's staying in good shape.

Thanks for being concerned about damaging wet trails, but I think the Luge is actually improved by being ridden when muddy. The STT holds up pretty well, too, and will usually stop bikes due to mud build-up before we can inflict any serious damage to the trail.

11. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Yep I overshot it too, will check it out and provide feedback.

Go for it!

12. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    If it's the section I am thinking of, towards the top, it's the only part of the trail I didn't like. I was relieved when it was widened beyond the 4" wide, axle deep trough that was there. I vote for keeping it at least a foot wide and less than a foot deep. I am sure nature and skidding will make it narrow and deep soon enough. And before the smart a@@es chime in about my riding skills, I can do The Luge in under 4 mins.

13. surferbum99

surferbum99 New Member

anybody make it out there this today? how muddy is it? was thinkin about hittin it tomorrow...

14. kioti

kioti Active Member

I didn't like it when there a tire's width groove in the bottom, but that was mostly the result of all that rain in December. What I did like was that you had to thread the needle in a narrow trough. Kind of like an upside down tightrope.

You're right, a heavy rain will probably bring it back, but I might have to give her a hand.. I like that there are a variety of challenges on the descent to make it more interesting.

It's good. Go.

15. MV Rider

MV Rider New Member

Jim

My buddy and me passed you yesterday while you were working on the second spot. We thanked you then and thank you even more now for all that you do to make STT and other trails as good as possible for riding. Please post if you are planning another volunteer work day on the trails; I would love to help you and give back to the trails we all love so much.

16. shosan

shosan New Member

Keeping that section a tire's width is not my first choice. Making a mistake with that would be bad news. There is enough challenge on the luge as it is. Narrow ruts suck in my book.

17. kioti

kioti Active Member

Good to see you out there yesterday. I guess in 3 and a half hours I only saw a dozen riders, which is surprising given what a great day it was. I love it out there when it's stormy.

Thanks for your offer to help. I'll post something up in the next week or two.

I hear you. How about a foot wide? I think it reinforces balance and line-holding skills that might save our a$$es in less forgiving places. Plus, for some reason I've always looked forward to it, and miss it now that it's gone. But you're right, tire width is too narrow. Thanks for your comments.

18. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Rode it STT -> Old Camp -> Luge on this spectacular day
    Berm is now in perfect place/shape.
    If I have it right the "narrow section" at the top was a bit of a "Slip and Slide" today , pretty wet and slick but still fun.
    There were a number of hikers out there today all seemed pretty nice...I told everyone of them it was MTBikers that fixed the trail and to "Put a good word in for us with the other hikers"
    Also the water in the canyon below the section before Rose Canyon was flowing there even looked to be a waterfall.

19. kioti

kioti Active Member

Just got back, and you're right-- lots of hikers on the STT (probably because the County Parks are closed). None on the Luge though, which is good because I wanted to go fast. :)

I liked the berm, too, which is always rewarding after busting my butt. The drop worked better, too, with a smoother approach.

You're right, the narrow section was a slip and slide. I made sure to skid my back tire to make it more interesting. :lol:

Thanks for spreading the word about mtb trail maintenance-- we are equal opportunity providers. And yes, it was a spectacular day. Glad to see so many out enjoying it.

20. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    The narrow rut is already coming back - thanks to water runoff and skidding tires. I accidentally ran my front wheel into the left bank at that point and almost went down. The rest went great. The berm was AWESOME - well done. Huge smile Props to you Kioti and your helpers. Great job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.