Luge Trail Conditions

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by kioti, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    I like that video. It's great to see how green it is out there. You did see me out there-- I was the guy at 2:25 improving the sightline on that new berm we put in to keep people from overshooting it.

2. coolbreeze

coolbreeze Looking for the gun show?

Hill Climber
    Was out there tonight as it is my usual Thursday night ride. I have to say that this was the first time that I have ever seen soooooo many riders at night. There must have been at least 20-30 riders at the flag at one point. Anyway, much thanks to Kioti for his hard work on my favorite trail!

3. MV Rider

MV Rider New Member

I was also out there tonight with a friend. We just missed the Congo line up the grade to STT and the Luge, though we could see them as we made our way up. The Luge is in great shape and a blast to rail. Many thanks again to Jim and everyone else who worked to bring back STT and the Luge.

4. des

des big kahuna

Rode STT and the Luge yesterday afternoon. Want to thank everyone who did trail maintenance. The trail is in great condition! Thanks!!!

5. ocmtnbiker15

ocmtnbiker15 Rock & Roll, Fall & Bleed

Product Manager
    We rode the STT and Luge on Monday morning. It was amazing to see all of the work that had been done on the Luge. I wasnt prepared for that little up hump kind of in the middle.. totally wrong gear..but I will be next time. Also like the new trail work at the end before the service road. Great Job, folks!

6. kioti

kioti Active Member

If you're talking about this "hump," it was a big rockslide until Randy Matson, John Smevog, Rob Whyte and I rebuilt it, about three days after the storms cleared. That's CalEpic in the picture, showing that it was precarious even without a bike. :)

The second shot is Kris Fowler (ridefruita) standing in the old crossing at the end of the trail. By the the time we cleared off the "fill" rocks, there wasn't enough left to save the crossing, so I took evasive action and moved it upstream. Kris and I knocked out that reroute in about 2 hours. Glad you like it.

I've got a little more work I'd like to do on the Luge, but right now I'm helping the Ranger get Whiting opened up. Oh yeah, and trying to make a living, too. :lol:

Attached Files:

7. TreksterFuelex

TreksterFuelex Next to beer, I

Inside sales
    the luge.jpg

Went out on a ride with some of the fellas this morning. Came to a point where I had to whip out the camera and snap a shot. Man the trail is in such beautiful shape right now. Thanks once again to everyone who contributed their time.

8. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

Wow, great pic. I rode it yesterday morning and was amazed at what shape it's in compared to last Saturday, which wasn't bad. Some of the ruts from deep tire tracks in the mud have hardened, but it's not bad--the warm weather and winds have smoothed things out significantly on STT. And some of the trail work in certain sections is smoothed down and out and much more rideable than it was at first when things were still muddy/slippery, etc. I bet that made the night ride last night great.

9. ocmtnbiker15

ocmtnbiker15 Rock & Roll, Fall & Bleed

Product Manager
    Hope you didnt take my comments of Da Hump as criticism, as it wasnt my intent. It was clear that it was necessary based upon the amount of dirt that slid off that hill. I mentioned it as poking fun at my own inability to adapt to trail conditions quickly. Gettin old, I guess. Once again, great job on all of the work and THANK YOU.

10. kioti

kioti Active Member

No offense taken. :)
    I was just explaining a little of what went on out there during the week or so it took all of us to get it back in shape. Glad you're liking it.
    Most of the trails around here are going to be a bit different than they were before the storms, and that particular spot will just encourage you to carry a little more speed through the turn and then stand up and fire over it. ;)

11. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

Buddy got his new fisher hifi plus. First ridewill be the luge sat morning

12. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    The most technical part of that loop is the first mile on the STT after the gate -- especially if you're stuck in a congo line. As the mud hardened there are lots of little sections you have to power up and through, because they are bumpy and can stop you on a dime if going slow enough and you're wasted (at least I am) from crawling up modeska grade. With someone in front of you going slow and steady can totally kill your flow.

Nothing tough on the Luge, you have momentum, which = speed ... and giggles on your side!

13. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

You forgot to mention you also have some cliffs on your side too lol

Be careful one wrong move and you could fall off the trail. Another thing to watch out for on the luge is at the top there are a bunch of loose rocks....I wiped out last time I was there when my front wheel gave way

14. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    I got to ride the Luge for the first time today and I can't thank all of you guys enough for the trail work you have done. The posts here do not do the amount of work justice.

I didn't take any pictures of the Luge itself but a fair amount on the way up of the amazing scenery.

Hope you enjoy.

Mott

http://mottmcfly.smugmug.com/Other/The-Luge/15565035_CikCh#1166016813_NyVCK

15. MV Rider

MV Rider New Member

Be Careful at the end of the Luge

Did the Luge loop late this afternoon. The trail is in great shape. However, towards the end of the ride, when you have the short climb out before you start heading to the paved road, there is a tree branch hanging over the trail right where you make a right turn coming down and then you have a very, very short, but steep climb. The branch almost took me out. I tried to move it as much as could from the trail. Ideally, someone with the right saw can cut it and remove it.#-o

16. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    Thanks for the head's up, grasshopper... I'm sure that Jim (Kioti) see this and perhaps take care of that branch...

17. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

I just rode it the other day (Tues morning). It was low, but not that low. Probably more of a problem late afternoon when you rode or at night. In the morning, I saw it ok. What I thought this post was going to be about was the interesting transition that has been built from the dirt to the pavement at the end--seems like someone has gotten creative out there. It's kind of fun--I've been tempted to try to catch a little air off it but it caught me by surprise when I first noticed it a couple rides ago. I don't remember that being part of the original trailwork after the storms but I could be mistaken.

18. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX

I merged it with the existing Luge trail condition thread as I know Jim probably subscribes to this thread.

If you wonder about any trail conditions, subscribe to any of the threads found here:
    http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/trail-conditions/55425-2010-2011-trail-condition-sticky.html

19. kioti

kioti Active Member

Thanks for clearing it out a bit. I tore it the rest of the way out of the tree and got it off the trail--just in time for the night crew. :lol: The big tree at the main crossing also came down, but it's not really in the way.

Otherwise, the STT/Luge loop is in fine shape, holding up well after our big trailwork day on January 2nd. :clap: Hope it makes it through these next few storms.. If not, we'll get something together and go out there and fix it up.

20. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    Rode it tonight and looked for an extra branch and never saw it.
    The big tree that fell at the creek crossing was a problem for me last week. I came around the corner. Saw the tree, looked at it and thought "I haven't seen that before".
    Turns out, when you look straight at something; you are more likely to run into it - which I did.
    So, don't look at fallen trees that aren't actually blocking the trail.
    Trail was in good shape tonight,very little mud at all.
    Chilly, though.

MOD Edit: New updated thread here: http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/trail-conditions/58709-good-bad-luge-updated-5-31-11-a.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.