Luge Trail Conditions

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by kioti, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke

Duke New Member

musician/composer/piano teacher/composition teache
    Thanks for all your work, guys!! I plan to ride this trail soon so I really appreciate it. I am currently not within driving distance of the trail....otherwise I would have been there to help today.

2. MV Rider

MV Rider New Member

Jim

Much thanks to you and everyone else that showed up to performed very needed trail work on the STT and the Luge. Sorry I couldn't make it, but my girls are in from college and they leave tomorrow. Therefore, I was on family duty today. Hopefully, the next time you schedule trail work or request help I can lend a helping hand.

3. MV Rider

MV Rider New Member

A big THANK YOU! to Jim and everyone else who volunteered their time and efforts to make the STT and the Luge better. Given how long O'Neil, Whiting and other parks will be out of action, the STT and the Luge are going to see a lot of action over the next few months.

4. Lorant

Lorant New Member

Thanks Jim", dont know if you'll remember me but I was on my way down the luge this morning and stopped and chatted with you for a few minutes as you were coming up' and was asking about how one could help out next time you guys do trailwork, I'll keep checking the calendar, maybe I can lend a hand next time"

5. maxwell

maxwell Dirty Stinky PATH Love

CRASH TEST DUMMY $#%&*^#
    Home Page:
    Thanks to all of you that came out today! There was a lot done, and it shows! I'll have pictures up tomorrow.

Thanks again!!

6. LAMint

LAMint Uphill or Down

Thanks Jim and everyone for the great work, was glad to help too, can't wait to ride it. Unfortunately the OC just got dumped on again...ugh. Here's a map of the latest rainfall, so we may need to go back re-apply band aids to the trail.

ScreenHunter_01 Jan. 03 01.29 AM.jpg
    Zoomed in version below:

ScreenHunter_02 Jan. 03 01.51 AM.jpg

7. Jim Holly

Jim Holly New Member

Good to meet you yesterday! We shouyld ride soon...

8. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Thanks to everyone, and especially Jim, for your hard work!
    :clap:

9. maxwell

maxwell Dirty Stinky PATH Love

CRASH TEST DUMMY $#%&*^#
    Home Page:
    Thanks All!

So, Dan and I showed up at The Path yesterday morning to an empty lot. I was bummed nobody showed up there to go work the trails, but got a huge smile back on my face when we got to Cook's and David, Dennis, Garret, and Mayuni where there to join my group. I'd met the other Dan on Maple Springs the week before, and he jumped in with us also.

Jim directed us to hike up STT towards Old Camp, and work on a couple of spots up there. I think it took us 45 minutes or so of hiking, after the flag, to get to our work area.

We got a lot done, in the ammount of time we had, and I'm sure they'll be more to do, after this next batch of rain. So if you missed out on this weekends work, stay tuned, you'll get another chance again soon.

Here are some pictures of my Path crew;

David, Dan, Garret, and Dan
    [​IMG]

Garret smiling away, while Mayumi gives me her "hard core" look! :lol:
    [​IMG]

Some before, durring and after shots of what we worked;

Before
    [​IMG]

Dennis and Dan
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

Before
    [​IMG]

Before
    [​IMG]

Dan, Garret and Mayumi work on a drainage route
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

Before
    [​IMG]

Before
    [​IMG]

Everybody doing their share
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

On our way up The Luge we stopped and checked out the gap at the top. It still looks solid, and maybe a bit lower, and wider than before. Still do-able.

On our way down, Dan was just past the gap, and David and I were walking towards it.
    Dan yell's back, "Maxwell, gonna hit the Gap today"? He knows that I rarely come down the Luge without hitting that gap. It's always too much fun to just "ride" by.

So, David pulls out his camrea, and I say to Dan.........

"sure, I'll hit it today"
    [​IMG]

You can never have too much fun with our shop group!!!

Thanks again for your hard work, and I'll see you on the trails!!

10. Lovin

Lovin Calmer 'n you are

I'm sorry that I missed out on this. I was up way too late the night before. Thanks to everyone who pitched in. The trail is becoming more sustainable every time someone puts some sweat into it.

11. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    Maxwell, you are something else :lol:

I love what you guys did through that long slide area :clap: The HAB snaked back and forth through there and would have been a mess after things dry out. The new routing takes a more direct line and uses the terrain for turning. I love that you "ran" it 4 times to check it's flow. I can picture you with your hands spread out on invisible handlebars, running through there like a 5 year old :lol:

Can't wait for things to really dry out so we can fly through there on our way down from Old Camp :)

12. krunner44

krunner44 Member

Hair.
    A HUGE thanks to Jim for putting all this together!!:clap: Hotchkiss and I were stoked to roll up to Cooks and barely be able to find parking amid the mass of volunteers who showed up yesterday! :) Seeing how passionate Jim is about this trail was a huge highlight of the morning. I agree with Garett in that seeing the power that all the mud slides had was gnarly. I was in the group that started from STT's entrance up at the top of the grade with the 2 Steves, Carla, a gentleman's name who I can't remember (I'm so sorry!!), and Hotchkiss. I think it's safe to say that we all enjoyed getting dirty out there. And Hotchkiss seemed especially overjoyed at being able to use his $4.99 machete.:lol:
    Good times were had by all, and I'm excited to try out the trail work as soon as this storm passes. Nothing beats starting off the new year by giving back to the trails we all know and love so much. Look forward to next time.

13. mytrustysteed

mytrustysteed Middle...the new granny

That machette inpired a trip to Harbor Frieght for me. Great to meet you and hope to see you on the trails.

14. kioti

kioti Active Member

Thank you, Kimmi. I have to say I was speechless for awhile there when I saw how many of you showed up to help.. There was as much work accomplished in ONE DAY as I can usually do in a whole year! That, plus the additional work done by three crews earlier in the week, and the overall change is phenomenal :clap:

I haven't had a chance to check out the first two miles of the STT, but can't wait to see what you did. A friend asked how I expected to manage work parties scattered over 7 miles of trail, and the answer was, "I don't." We all love these trails, and I trust in our ability to repair them. Part of the fun yesterday was in seeing everyone figure out how to fix the places they were working on.

The "gentleman" you are referring to was Randy Matson. Like me, he became a USFS volunteer after the Santiago Fire to help with the original restoration. He also helped rebuild the Luge through the big rockslide area last week (along with John Smevog and Rob Whyte).

Nice meeting you all yesterday, and a special thanks to your group for tackling the first two miles of the STT :clap:

15. DirtyGirlMonkey9

DirtyGirlMonkey9 New Member

Thank you so much for organizing this Jim & letting me use the Mcloed(my new favorite tool)! :) It was great to see everyone out there & I had a lot of fun working with the old married couple (aka Frank & Dan) hahaha! All of the work looked great!

16. johnnie

johnnie New Member

software engineer
    Big thanks to Jim for all the work and organizing that he has done to get STT/Luge back into shape. Sorry that I missed the work party yesterday, but my legs were still sore from the hike Friday to fix a big slide half way to Old Camp. And on the way out there I kept asking myself why am I going out there, I very rarely go to Old Camp. Well now I have incentive to go to Old Camp so I can ride over our handy work.

Again, a BIG Thanks to Jim!!!!:clap:

17. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX

Yes indeed, when you go out take some ownership and work on trails you ride, I guarantee the next time you ride it you'll enjoy it a lot more.

Sorry I missed it, but sometimes works gets it the way. Thanks to all who went out the past few days and worked on STT and Luge.

18. Hotchkiss

Hotchkiss human being

Home Page:
    A must stop shop before trial work!

19. ladera Dave

ladera Dave New Member

Millwork project manager
    It is time for trail work, Jim let Frank know, we will bring out the forces to help you.
    Happy New Year.

20. kioti

kioti Active Member

Thanks, Dave. Frank was there, along with Daniel and a lot of other folks. Hopefully you can join us next time. Meanwhile, thanks again for your help on the STT during the fire closure. Here's a shot of you, Sharon, Sylvia and Roy on a spot that's still holding up two years later, up past the flag.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.