Luge Trail Conditions

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by kioti, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalEpic

CalEpic member

It's a messy mess

Kioti and I hiked/slogged up the Luge this afternoon to check out the extent of the damage and I think I can safely say we were both surprised at the amount of damage to the trail. I expected some mud and rock slides but nothing like what we encountered.

I lost count of the number of slides but I think there were around 10 pretty significant slides where one would not be able to ride over them on their bikes. At this point, I don't think I could recommend riding it in it's current state.

We hiked up to the flag and then continued up towards Old Camp to where the steep, rutted switchbacks are and they are in pretty decent shape. There are a couple slides but nothing significant. We did not check conditions on STT below the flag but I suspect the area where there was a previous slide could be a problem.

Mud Slides:
    Luge 009.jpg Luge 006.jpg Luge 008.jpg Luge 007.jpg Luge 010.jpg Luge 005.jpg

The gap jump up by the flag is a little bigger and deeper. Don't go too far to the right:
    Luge 011.jpg

View of the upper Luge from above the flag on STT. There was a big slide on this narrow ridge. Unfortunately it didn't bury the mylar balloons that got away from somebody:
    Luge 012.jpg

If you decide to go up there to check it out, please be careful. It's a mess. I don't think riding it is in the cards for a while. It will take some drying out and some serious work on the Luge. Look for trailwork days soon.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2010
  2. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    Yeah, as the saying goes, "I've got some good news, and some bad news. Which do you want first?"

The good news is that the Luge is in great condition everywhere there wasn't a mudslide on it. The bad news is there were a lot of mudslides.

I'd recommend staying off the Luge until things dry out. It's a HAB at best in a lot of spots, and you'll be post-holing through mud in the slide areas. The mud was deep enough that we had trouble keeping our shoes on.

The main crossing at the bottom held up well, but the SECOND CROSSING (just before the pavement) is completely GONE. Be aware that it's a chasm about 5 feet deep and 3 feet across. (I plan to fix that first.)

As Craig said, we also checked the STT from the flag up to the next overlook. The trail is in good shape with a couple small slides on it, and the steep left hand turn is still intact.

We didn't have time to check the rest of the STT, but I expect there are mudslides on that, too. I'd like to get that whole trail open and cleared, all the way from the Modjeska gate to Old Camp. Then, as the soil dries out, we can re-establish the Luge where it's damaged.

I'll be heading out several times over the next two weeks, and would be happy to have some help. If the weather allows, I'd like to plan a trail work day on January 2nd for anyone who'd like to get these trails back in good shape.

3. ridefruita

ridefruita New Member

Thanks for the update guys! Please keep us updated on planed trail work. I know I can work on the 2nd so hit me up when you are going out.

4. ebenke

ebenke Member

Project Director, architecture, technical side
    I smell a trail work day coming on soon......I'll stay tuned.....

5. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

After an event like this...its gonna take some serious manpower to get things back into shape...we don't want to step on everyone's toes in getting this stuff fixed but want to get as many of us out there as possible to get things right (when it dries out)...smells likes its time for someone/group to take the lead and spread the word among the shops.

Lets get some of the roadies and put them to work too.

6. scoth

scoth New Member

Count me in for the 2nd as well.

7. kioti

kioti Active Member

Thanks, Daniel.

I don't think we'll be stepping on anyone's toes.. we'll just spread out and get it done! I've got Forest Service permission and authorization to work on these trails, and have been the lead on them since the Santiago Fire just over three years ago. Almost all the work has been done by hand, by myself and fellow volunteers, and it was in much worse shape than what I saw today.

I'll ride the rest of the STT in the next day or two and see what condition the remainder of the trail is in. If heavy equipment is needed, I'll put in a request, but hopefully we can take care of everything with hand tools.

With Whiting and other County Parks closed indefinitely, I'd really like to see the STT cleaned up soon. There's more rain in the forecast, but we can work around that. I'm going to get some work started this weekend, and then try to put another work party together for Wednesday, if anyone's available. Otherwise let's shoot for the 2nd of January.

PM me if you're available and want to help, and RSVP on the Calendar if you can work with us on the 2nd..

Thank you!

Jim aka kioti

8. maxwell

maxwell Dirty Stinky PATH Love

CRASH TEST DUMMY $#%&*^#
    Home Page:
    Thanks for taking the lead, all your work in this area Jim! I'm on vacation the first week of January. Jake and I were planing on doing a lot of riding. I think we'll be doing less riding, and more trail work over that week. Time to show him how to work on the trails we love.

9. des

des big kahuna

We had to get out today for a spin and rode the first section of STT. Lots of slides and hike a bike. We did not even attempt to make it to the gate. I heard after the gate it is extremely muddy. Needs a couple days of sunshine to dry. Looks like for a while (from the pics i have seen in this thread) that the trail is going to be an up and back until trail work is done on the luge to repair it. It was still nice to stretch the legs!! I am open to help with trail work also.

10. b.martin

b.martin New Member

I'm in for Wednesday

Wednesday works for me.

11. JoJon

JoJon Member

I'm off work till the 4th (yes I get monday off) I'm available just about any time for some trail R&R (Rework & Repair). The National Weather Service is sayin heavy rain tomorrow night, so the damage might not be done.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...ield2=-117.794

12. kioti

kioti Active Member

Definitely nice to stretch the legs :)

I rode it this afternoon and you're right, lots of slides and mud on the way to the flag. Most of it's in the first couple miles. The descent to the flag held up pretty well, a little rutted but not bad. I haven't been a lot farther up the STT (it's OK for at least about a mile) and would love to hear a report on the rest of the trail to Old Camp.

I was glad to see lots of tire tracks out there by this afternoon, and a bunch of them went down the Luge. So did I. It's a little drier today, but still a muddy scramble near the bottom. I can't recommend going down there because of the slope instability, but it's a free country.

The last little crossing is harder to manage with a bike than without. I ended up throwing my bike across, and then jumping. An alternative might be to cross upstream.

I think the STT will end up being better than before, once we clear a path. It'll be more of a trail than a road. The Luge will take some time to work itself out, but will at least be MOSTLY rideable after some work. Suffice to say that with the help of the weather, and a little TLC, the Luge will live again :)

Merry Christmas everyone!

DSCN3355.jpg

DSCN3358.jpg

DSCN3362.jpg

DSCN3366.jpg

DSCN3370.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2010
  13. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    Jim - there's a tree you left on the trail? That't not like you ;)

Hugs - Merry Christmas!

14. kioti

kioti Active Member

Well, I tugged on it a little but it wouldn't budge :lol:

The forecast shows rain tomorrow, Wednesday and next Saturday, so I'm going to go out today, after I open my presents ;), and start working. If anyone would like to help, we could meet up at Cook's around 9:30 or so.

My phone is 949-766-4434, and my email is <[email protected]>. Contact me directly and we'll set it up.

Merry Christmas, and thanks,

Jim

15. kioti

kioti Active Member

Kris (ridefruita) and I went and did some work on the Luge today, near the lower end. The first area we worked on (from a descender's perspective) is the combination right-hander/gully crosser just after a couple bumps and before the S-turns to the creek. The old trail was gone (fell into the ravine) and the edge was overhanging and precarious. We moved the trail about six feet to the left.

The second place we worked is the little crossing after the main crossing. It's the one that's a hundred yards from the pavement. There was a culvert there, but the whole thing disappeared and the chasm was now seven feet wide and seven feet deep. It appeared narrower, but that's because some of the backfill from the old crossing was still in place. We found a natural crossing about 50-75 yards upstream and routed the trail there. It now loops up-canyon and meanders under some oaks before reconnecting with the exit trail. This solution negated the need for a bridge, that would have to be engineered to USFS specs (like the one on upper San Juan Trail) and would likely wash away in the next big rainfall event.

We completed both of those projects in about 5 hours. Imagine how much will be accomplished if we have a BIG TURNOUT on January 2nd!

The shots are: The gully crosser (it was a 3 foot drop), the new stream crossing, the old stream crossing, and the trail under the oaks.

THANK YOU, KRIS!!! And see the rest of you on the 2nd! :wave:

Attached Files:

16. ridefruita

ridefruita New Member

Thanks Jim. I could not think of a better day to give back to the trails that we all enjoy soo much. Now its time to ride!

17. xBEEFEDGEx

xBEEFEDGEx New Member

Awesome work on the trail! New to the site, and pretty new to mountain biking, but I'll be there to help out on the 2nd. Do we need to bring our own shovels, etc?

18. kioti

kioti Active Member

Thank you :)

Welcome to STR and mountain biking, and I'm glad you're planning to help out. I think it's cool that you're new to the sport and already want to help fix the trails :clap:

It may be a good idea to bring your own shovel or pick mattock. I'd also recommend some work gloves, plenty to drink and a lunch.

Look forward to seeing you out there,

Jim

19. xBEEFEDGEx

xBEEFEDGEx New Member

Awesome thanks. I'll try to drag one of my buddies out as well.

20. davek

davek New Member

Did a trail run this afternoon , if your thing is a HAB in ankle deep mud and 4 hours of cleaning the bike after ... the current conditions are for you!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.