Looking for Road bike advice from Mountain Bikers

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Jeepdude, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member

You're mistaken. It's not angst, it's outright snobbery and it is there for a very good reason... self-preservation. Road riding (atleast at the higher levels) involves riding in close proximity with other riders... pace-lining, cornering, etc. No one wants to be taken out by an inexperienced rider. So yeah, when a new guy shows up, roadies tend to look for visual clues as to whether the rider knows their way around a pace-line. If you don't look the part, you'll be kept at arms length until you prove yourself. I'm not here to condone snobbery, just explaining it's roots amongst roadies.

2. matty_P

matty_P New Member

medical student
    like others have said, if you have a visor, its really hard to see if you have even a mildly aggressive road position. if you don't ride with a visor on mtb (gasp) no need to remove.

and, yes, he should remove the reflectors and dork disc. those things look dumb.

3. zamboni95

zamboni95 Masher

Living on funemployment
    Go talk to Steve at The Path... he's a roadie and mtn bikes as well. He's probably a little more roadie than dirt because he shaves.

4. F.A.D.

F.A.D. POWERED BY MUSUBIS

Feeds me
    just to throw another into the mix have you considered a fisher Cronus? I really enjoy mine. it has the more relaxed geo and has a very compliant ride.

5. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    compact crank, if you want to do some big climbs GMR etc...
    Good Saddle
    Get Fitted
    I ride road with visor all the time not a problem even in the drops, maybe I am not in a super aggressive position.

6. Danimal22

Danimal22 New Member

Utilities General Foreman, Disneyland Resort
    I currently road ride 2x a week along with 2x mtb, road bike: 2009 Trek Madone 5.5 Pro (ultregra equipped) My wife and I usually ride Santiago Cyn (35-mi. hills) and the river trail to beach (25-35 mi. flat) totally different riding style on road bike, makes we appreciate my Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon MTB! I always get neck pain and numbness in arm when riding my road bike, (broke my neck and had spinal fusion in the 1990's) love the upright ride of MTB (and the suspension) But road riding is the best cardio training you can do to improve your fitness for MTB.

7. mtnbikerfred

mtnbikerfred Super Moderator

I sell industrial power transmission and motion co
    I was pretty sure this thread was gonna be like asking vegans for hunting advice...

HEy Now!!!

And that's "Mtnbikerfred" to you you skinny-a$$ed, leg shavin, Lycra wearin, roadie scum. I hope you all die of thirst on the side of the road tryin to change a flat because you know you only carry 1 water bottle, and then ONLY IF trying to complete a century... :p :D :p :D

Much good advice already given about geometry, fit, and test riding a bike first. At least have them set you up and a trainer and pedal for a few minutes.

8. gr@sshopper

gr@sshopper Closet Roadie

Couple more thoughts -

Don't draft people you don't know. If you are good enough that they shouldn't be concerned about you riding so close, you should be pulling them.

If road vibration is a problem, fatter, lower pressure tires can help. When I was recovering from a busted up ankle and the bumps were bugging me, I put the fattest tires I could on at the lowest pressure I could run. Not as nice as a suspension system, but it helps.

You don't really need the compact crank, but it won't hurt.

9. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member

I'm going to apologize in advance for disagreeing with many here, but I must say that you SHOULD be going compact. Standard gearing is just fine, however, since you have a choice, you should go compact. The compact gear ratios are much more usable for the average road rider... especially so with any climbing. Standard gearing leans towards the taller gears, the top-end of which you'll never use/need other than in a downhill sprint. So with Standard gearing you'll have 20 speeds and only ~16 of which you'll actually use in a given ride. With compact you'll get much more utilization of all 20 speeds in a typical road ride.

10. g-dub

g-dub Member

I've got the Roubaix with 105 compact, I'm really happy. Very very well done machine. It gets lots of use in the rainy season, and gets out maybe every other week during the summer. The tall head tube looks kinda funny if you look too hard, but the bike is actually comfortable to ride in the drops. I wouldn't go any cheaper on the components. My wife decided to be a little too frugal with her bike purchase, and the lousy Sora shifters on her $800 bike are old after just a year. Overall though, that bike (Specialized Dolce) was excellent value for money, and all the guys she rides past compliment her on her bike 8). So if you went with the Secteur and saved yourself $700 for MTB stuff, I'd say you made a fine choice too.

There's no real adjustment back to the MTB, they're so different I'd never be able to get them confused.

11. wraschke

wraschke New Member

Student
    Theres been a lot of chatter that you can't race the roubaix in crits. thats wrong the only thing you have to be aware of is the longer wheel base and the lower bb height. The specialized roubaix is a one off bike. No other bike maker makes a bike like the roubaix. That zert system is amazing. Cancellara complains about his treks being to soft and the geo being all off. He hasnt had a good ride since he was on a spec roubaix or tarmac. The frame design can take up an 1.5 inch drop for up to 72 hours continuous, if you take an 1.5 inch drop on the bike you've got an issue of picking yourself off the ground. Ride a roubaix for an extend period. I think the 2012 105 model is a SL2 frame construction that was designed for tom boonen who's 6'5" monster of torque and hammering. I'd definitely recommend the Roubaix.

12. FlynRide

FlynRide New Member

Here is the bike you want:

photo.JPG

13. BROWNIE

BROWNIE I'm good at recess!

work
    I have a GIANT DEFY ADVANCE II with the Ultegra, love it. It is a comfort bike, not as comfortable as the Roubaix, just a little bit sharper in the ride and feedback. You might find yourself wanting a more responsive bike down the road if you find out that you like the road (that's why I'm building a new road bike for 2012). Just get a bike, put some speedplay pedals on it and have fun!

14. romeagent

romeagent New Member

Giant defy

I ride a Giant Defy and it has the 105 set on there and i love it, it shifts very smoothly. Try out a couple bikes before you buy though. When i first started riding i kept my visor on my helmet, then figured out you had to put more effort in looking up at the rode because it was difficult to see past the visor, due to your body positioning on a rode bike. So i took mine off to see the rode, and stop the neck and back pain from the extra effort to look past the visor. Maybe thats why roadie helmets dont have visors, idk.

15. Bungle

Bungle Spitting Mad

I think I'm the only one that recommended a standard double. Guess I'm the oddball again. Personally, I love mine and wouldn't sacrifice the tall gears for anything. Steep hills can be hard, but that's where my macho comes into play.

16. Giddy

Giddy Member

Heavy Equipment Mechanic
    Hey I am a Bmx,mtb and just recently bought a gaint defy with the 105 group and the price was great from fulleton bikes they mike also fit me to the bike so I you get a chance go see mike he will give you a great deal and great advice

17. mrjonger

mrjonger New Member

I'm not serious roadie by any means, but I picked up the Tarmac Elite Apex. I like it a lot, the bike is pretty quick off the line, changes direction like a champ and is very easy to handle. The shifting leaves something to be desired. My wife's Ultegra/Dura Ace combo is much better, but that's not a fair comparison. With the double-tap, I sometimes get confused when I'm in the lowest rear cog haha. I got it on clearance, which made the step up to the Rival very expensive. I think I would have opted for the Rival if the Apex wasn't on clearance. The Apex set up isn't exactly light either, my 49 weighs in at around 19lbs...but the whole point is exercise right?

18. rjcsocal

rjcsocal Member

I don't think you can go wrong with the geometry on the Synapse or Roubaix. They both offer dampened rides and the geometry looks similar. I think the Roubaix may have a taller head tube.

Of all the bikes listed, the proven frame is the Roubaix. It would also be the bike that could be a bit more versatile for you in the long-run. Gearing and components can all be switched down the road to fit your desire, but the frame is the base.

It will probably come down to personal preference as long as you're fit properly, you'll enjoy yourself.

19. digitaldouble

digitaldouble Member

Architect
    me too !!!
    Got the 2012 Roubaix for my wife (Elite Rival Compact) and one for myself (Expert Ultegra Compact) about a month ago...
    We love it and now enjoy both Mountain and road biking.
    I prefer the Ultegra over the Rival. The only reason I got my wife the Rival was because of the large 32t cog vs 28t Shimano.
    The Rival front derailleur sucks big time plus I don't care that much for the double tap.

(disclaimer - this is not my bike picture, but looks exactly the same)
    240026d1315174974-2012-roubaix-expert-img_0255.jpg

20. Mikie Watson

Mikie Watson Member

Mountain Bike Forum Owner
    Home Page:
    Jcw!
    You crack me up! I have a . . . .ahem, . . . road bike. It's a mid range GT (I know, did GT REALLY make road bikes? I used it for training only) I have been hit by cars, I have hit cars, I have had near misses with oncoming cars doing 70 mph (the car, not me). So, for the last 12 years, it has hung from the neck in my garage rafters.

I guess my question is why? Why, ride a road bike with all this So Cal scrumptious Fire Roads and Singletrack! I know, I know, road will get you a pair of climbers legs. My fear is that you will slowly metomorphisize (<-- huh?) into a snobby, self riteous, non waving, stuck up roadie wearing single piece tights, designer sunglasses, funny shoes with your toes sticking up in the air, and shaving your chest hairs. Don't do it I say!?!?? Don't do it! I was a closet roadie at one time, but I went straight . . . .

~Mikie
    You guys know I'm just messin' wit ya. . . . . right?:-k