Looking for female riders

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by The_Pharoh, Sep 27, 2009.

1. jojo1a

jojo1a New Member

construction
    ive never ridden with a female either i saw alot at the races on september 20 2009 but never ridden with them maybe there just better or they suck it would be a nice change to see how they think and ride hit me up some time im just not fast right now in college and full time work but i ride every week some where

2. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

You may want to stop by IE Bikes, in Murrieta. They have a pretty good sized woman's team, some of whom mtb. Matt may be able to get you some info on that.

The Trail Angels are a great group. I've ridden with them for years and am a member. They are a Christian based riding group, but I have never been preached to or pressured into joining any of their religious activities. However, if you are so adverse to religion, you may not want to join, as your discomfort with others may affect your interaction. BTW, did you know that Denmother is a Trail Angel, too?

3. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    DenMother is a devil on the bike! And she recruits!

4. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man
    thats letting the wolf into the hen house ;)

5. The_Pharoh

The_Pharoh New Member

Defense Contractor
    So it looks like this thred started a small fire. I did not intend for anyone to get upset or angry. From many posts here it seems clear that the Trail Angels do not preach and are cool to ride with. With that being said I or my wife would have no issues riding with them, we are not anti-religous we just dont practice ourselves. We both love to ride and were just looking for a cool group of people to ride with and we dont care what your religous preferance is, I just thought that the club was only privy to christian members. I would hate to have people think that I am a hateful closed minded person which I am not. I have a few avenues to recommend her to follow, i.e. Bikes, Idylwild MTB Club, Trail Angels, and Dirty Girlz. Thanks again for all of the feedback and I hope there is no bad blood with any of my fellow MTB'rs. Cheers.:beer:

6. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

I am also a Trail Angel and no there is no recruiting going on! As far as female riders (Trail Angels) out this way, I am pretty much it. Most of the members are from the OC.

We live in Riverside and ride Sycamore Canyon on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 6:00pm.

7. nerdgirl

nerdgirl Ronin

Cog in the federal justice machine
    Home Page:
    Yeah, I don't really count because I can't exactly ride with everybody. But I do ride Sycamore Canyon on Saturday mornings and late Sunday afternoons.

8. denmother

Sorry, what I meant was "There are not any member of the Trail Angels that live out this way."

There are a few women out this way that have recently joined STR. I have only ridden with Rollingmama (new) and Surlygal (not new) who are both from Corona.

9. CA_descender

CA_descender IamHAZZMATTseeMEgroove

Father & Husband
    Most of the time she may be but when the ff and dh gear is dawned she sprouts horns and a tail. I was able to get a shot of her under her helmet during a race and it was a bit unnerving ...
    [​IMG]

10. denmother

If you really feel the need to crucify me :lol: you should really create a seperate thread, right? :?:

Attached Files:

11. surlygal

surlygal Bad Girl of DH

Accountant
    Huh?? I guess Joined: 02-06-2007 is recently #-o:lol: xoxoxo (love ya Nancy)

back to the topic at hand,

There actually are SEVERAL ladies on STR that ride and ride well. Some are members of The Trail Angels and some are not, one thing I can tell you that WE are not afraid of a few bumps & scrapes. :bang:

Check out the calender and bring her out on a group ride, good times will be had.

12. nerdgirl

nerdgirl Ronin

Cog in the federal justice machine
    Home Page:
    No worries. I was kind of half serious though. I really can't just ride with everybody like many of you can, for reasons that anyone who has been paying attention knows. I'm perfectly cool riding with my own little "team" and anyone who wants to join us. :).

13. denmother

Here, I fixed it for ya!!!

14. Dusty

Dusty New Member

Med Staff Whatever
    You wife needs to get out and ride with some of the girls stuff. We have a great time and there are some really hard core women, none of them have compromised their femininity (not even Liz), politics or faith. I do not consider myself hard core (but I recently adopted the name Nanbagger and Nanimal :-k ) When I broke my arm in 98 I found it to be horribly inconvenient and try not to do that. As she gets to know the women she will learn who she clicks with (yes I said it, click, you can't be everyone's best friend) We are predominantly in the OC and that makes it a little tricky geographically. I had to prove myself to get into the womens's forum and happy to do so. We do a lot of "girl talk" that the guys don't really want to know about anyhow, that we want to stay there. Thanks to George for showing respect.

It does take time but well worth the effort.

15. MandyS1477

MandyS1477 Needs DH training wheels

Office Manager Extraordinaire
    Does your wife still want a riding partner?? I live in Yucaipa but I'll meet her at any trail she likes to ride. Joining the women's forum is a great idea. If you complain about there not being woman riders just check out all the talented ladies in the women's forum. They post group rides, advice for ladies,etc.

BTW, I'm a Christian republican. Can she still ride with me? (J/K) I'm not a bible thumping maniac or anything. I'm a little freaked out that you didn't want her to ride with the trail angels because they had a bible verse on there page. I understand everyone has there own views but don't dismiss someone because they don't share the same ones as you. You might miss out on some really great people.
    Did you vote for Obama? Guess what, I'll still ride with you. ;)

Seriously though, if she really wants to ride, I'd love to meet up.

16. G-MONEY

G-MONEY International Playboy

Infotainment
    I ended up going down Cactus and through Sleep Hollow with a group of them a while ago (before the fire) and they were totally cool, fun and full of stoke. I never would have guessed they were "religious" (not that there's anything wrong with that :)). One of them (sorry I can't remember your name!) even had one of those woven handlebar baskets festooned with plastic flowers and streamers on her very trick dual suspension trailbike. How awesome is dat??? In no way did I think they were sacrificing their femininity-- in fact, (as I recall) they were all downright attractive. Cool chix on mountain bikes, can't beat that! :bang:

Just to chime in on nerdgirl's observations and get a survey from the women on this site-- I see so many more roadie girls out there than mtb chix. Why is that? IMO, road riding has it's share of hazards and one can get pretty f-d up on a road bike too but I see many more girls on road bikes than MTBs. :?:

17. Greengiant

Greengiant Steady diet of dirt

I issue building permits in Palo Alto!
    The Dirty Girlz have a great time riding together!! And we generally post our rides in the Dirty Girlz forum.

With my screen name "Greengiant", it took a while and a couple of people vouching for me to get onto the Dirty Girlz forum.

18. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

Not sure what type of riding you are into, but there are several options. Some rides are fast, however, you'll find a few with "no one left behind" or "beginner" that may suite you. When someone specifies that, they are really good about keeping the pace low, regrouping spots, and patience. Don't be afraid to jump in on one of those rides.

This is one of the things that the Trail Angels are great at. Not only do they have regroup points, but they will wait for you to do "do-overs", where you repeat a difficult section until you get it. In fact, they encourage this and will even help you spot the proper line, reminding you of specific techniques as you try (like keeping your eyes up).

There are SEVERAL guys on here that can be that helpful, too. Lee was wonderful when I first started (not sure about now, haven't seen him in a long time :lol:), Gene is awesome, too. And, I'm sure there are a ton of other guys who I won't give proper credit to due to a deficiency of caffeine and oxygen just seeping back into my brain from rides this weekend :)

19. sxc70

sxc70 2bz4wrk

bike rider
  20. The_Pharoh

The_Pharoh New Member

Defense Contractor
    Ahh, this is great. I knew I just needed to ask if there were female riders on here in the area, I will point her in your directions, and if there are group rides with the boys too I would be more then willing to join too. Oh and we have a little nickname for her, the lil tank, cause she seems to bomb anything in her way. She may need some warming back up because she kinda focused more of her time into her martial arts while I am gone, but I am sure she will be back into in no time.

Oh and if you guys ride at sycamore canyon, she is completely familiar with those trails. We used to live right behind them and could ride out and be on the trails in 2.5 minutes. I will pass the word to her and get her linked up. And the flower basket is great, totally something she would do. She left her kickstand on her new bike just to get to me because I hate kickstands. ha ha.