Downhill looking at building first DH bike. need input!

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by minimusprime, Oct 26, 2009.

1. minimusprime

minimusprime Did I just taste purple?

So I got bit by the DH bug.

Currently I’ve got a pitch pro that I’ve completely upgraded and built up to burly status. (talas 36, slx cranks, 823’s with hp2’s etc etc) It honestly does pretty well for some light stuff at mammoth but it’s linear suspension setup just leaves me wondering what I would do on something more substantial.

So this leads me to my current thought. I’d like to try a DH bike out for next year and build one possibly at the end of next season. Being that I’ve never tried a DH bike before and most rentals are total shit I got to thinking that I prob shouldn’t drop a huge amount of cash into a frame right off the bat and I should handle this like I handled my pitch. (cheap entry cost get a good component set and upgrade the frame later if I really like it)

So this got me thinking about options. After a short review of the landscape I was thinking of getting into the game with a kona stinky or something and a solid reliable entry level DC fork.

A few questions

1- Opinions on the stinky. I’m not going to be a DH racer for some time and even if I do it will be amateur. I figure I’ll get it setup with some decent components saint cranks x9 derailleurs and all that and if I really like having a big travel bike I’ll move the components over to something more hardcore. Opinions on buying USED dh bike frames? Also any other suggestions for cost effective 7-8” dh bike frames? The draw to the stinky is it seems i can find some decent ones for 550-700 for the frame alone.

2- Opinions on using the stinky (7” frame with an 8” fork) Geo seems similar to most other dh bikes off the get go. BB seems high to me not being a dh guy.
    3-Opinions on dc forks. What’s a reliable fork to use. I’d like some good performance out of it obviously and I’m not afraid to do some rebuilds occasionally (oil and basic seals/bushings)

4-Wheelset opinions. Thinking azonic outlaws. Can you get these setup tubeless? If not I could always use my hp2’s and 823’s for the dh setup and get some hp2’s and 819’s for my pitch.

5-Do you use a typical 11-34 casette on a dh bike? I assume paired up with a 32 front chain ring?

Sorry to be lazy and post my questions here. Just kind of brainstorming for now.

2. sethwestphal

sethwestphal New Member

photographer
    1)stinky is a good choice however i would really check around for close out deals right now you never know what a local shop or online retail store has on close out from last years model

2)
    i cant help much as im no expert, however i actually know a guy who runs a stinky with an 8 inch fork and has been doing so for a few years now with no hickups that i know of.. the bike gets ridden VERY HARD and has done whistler bike park and some of the mamoth back country dh runs as well as local stuff like fontana... just letting you know this set up can and does work.

3)
    the fork is gonna cost you so it really depends on your budget if your going cheap reliable fun there is always the boxer! if your willing to spend a bit more consider the fox, boxer world cup, and ive seen the manitou dorado do some amazing things(although i think its ugly as all hell).. there are much more

4)can help dont know a thing about outlaws sorry

5) gearing is up to you my enduro is no dh bike but it seems to handle its fair share of all mountain drops, im running 34 back and a 22/36 up front

hope this helps!

3. minimusprime

yeah my pitch handles stuff like the flow drop with very little issue. but i'm just thinking it would be nice to have a more progressive big bike for shuttle stuff. If i can get away with not destroying the bank on something like a 951 (not yet at least) it would be awesome.

also i figure the first couple years on a dh bike i will be crashing alot. better to crash and dent a cheap frame.

I'm willing to drop some serious cash on a fork if need be. Figure if i get a frame for 550 i have no problem dropping 800-1000 on a fork. Just didn't know if there was a diamond in the rough type of situation. Ie get a zochi and rebuild it with new seals and w/e and get 85-90% of the performance of a big boy.

4. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Depending where you go for DH rentals they are not normally crap. The ones I have seen seem to be very well taken care of( that was Whistler though). They may look bad from scratches and stuff but functionally were in great shape. Also look for Demos, most they time they have one or two DH bikes with them.

Outlaws could go ghetto tubeless but thats it. Most likely on a full DH bike you current wheels will not work as most DH bikes are 150mm rear spacing. Some have the option to use either rear spacing(intense) and some still use 135mm.

Buying used is a crap shoot like anything else. You can get really good bikes at good price used or you can get an overpriced bike that you find all kinds of issues with it or anything in between.

5. Rockslide

Rockslide Two-wheeled transient.

One thing to consider. I am currently building a new bike for a friend that cracked his Kona Stinky Deluxe. As I was trying to find a replacement frame for him, I noticed quite a few Stinkys for sale with brand new warrantied front triangles. He is a heavier rider and put his bike through hell though. His brother has been riding a Stinky longer and rides it just as rough, but he only weighs a buck fifty.

If buying a used frame, be careful which year you pick up. The 07's have a 66.5 H/T angle. The 08's are more DH friendly at 65.3 degrees. An 8 inch fork might make the 07 slack enough and 08 really deep into the DH spectrum. You will really have to consider sizing carefully also. The steeper seat tube angle on the Stinkys might mess with the feel of the bike with the seat lowered. You might want to go one size under normal.

Here's one for sale right here on STR.

6. hebby

hebby Member

Redondo Beach, a Sunny Place for Shady People
    I have an 05 Giant Team DH for sale that I'd let go for $750 for the complete bike. It's an 8 inch travel bike and in good shape no dents, it has a shiver fork on it. I love it but don't get to use it as much as I'd like to. PM me if you are interested.

7. minimusprime

good info. I had concerns about the kona frames from the internet rumor mill but good to get some hard info. I ride my bikes pretty hard and i'm no light weight. 200lbs geared.

Also yeah... I want to get a bike with a HT around 64-65. I'd def go with an 08 or newer. Currently my pitch has a 66-66.5 HT angle, so i want something that's considerably different than that. I'm not at all set on the kona just seemed like a good cost effective solution.

Naive question about the seat tube comments. how does the geo of that affect a dh bike. Especially when you're standing 95% of the time. Are you just saying cockpit mobility as in the seat isn't where i'd expect it so it might affect my maneuvering in the cockpit?

8. Rockslide

Rockslide Two-wheeled transient.

You got it. When you drop the seat, it doesn't go forward as much as it would with a slacker angle seat tube. It might feel in the way if you get a frame your size. Trouble is, if you get a smaller frame, it might feel cramp while pedaling with the seat extended. But, that's a small compromise. You should be cool if you get the right size for how you want to ride. You have a lot of choices. They make them in five sizes.

9. wannagobig

wannagobig Gigantic Member

I've got a Faith that I'll let go for $500..PM me if you are interested.

10. Cableguy

Cableguy Member

Get a 8"+ DH bike with 8" DC fork. Some FR bikes will be too similar to your Pitch. Lots of good used bikes out there (M3, Socom, DHR, etc.).

11. kazlx

kazlx New Member

Anaheim Fire Hazmat
    I'm not a huge fan of Stinkys. Lots of people love them, I am not one of them. If I were you, I would buy something used. You are going to get a way better deal on something used already built up, especially now. As sad as it is to say, a lot of people can't afford their toys right now.

Most of the DC forks are pretty good, certain years have issues. The older 888s (06ish) seem pretty bullit proof. I have an 05 on my Demo 9 that feels really good and rarely asks me for anything. Honestly, the only way to decide what you want is to get time on different setups. A lot of people seem to like the new WC Boxxers and 40s if you want a new fork.

I think for the money, if you want a true DH bike, you can't go wrong with a Turner DHR.

Outlaws are a good deal for wheels, pretty solid. They can be setup ghetto tubeless, but that's it. I like to just run good dual ply DH casings like Minions on my bikes and never really have a problem with flats.

You can run any standard cassette, 11-32 or 34. A lot of guys run road cassettes too. Depends on how much you pedal. You probably want to run bigger than a 32 on the front, I would say at least a 34. I prefer 36s usually. Just make sure you run a guide like an LG1 or MRP or similar.

I have a Demo 9 if you want to try it out sometime. Not a full DH bike, but gets the job done. I'm 6'1" about 220.

12. Drop D

Drop D New Member

Un-Employed
    Turner DHR at Go-ride.com, I might build one maybe next month

13. Stray_Bullit

Stray_Bullit The sustain..listen to it

Commercial Truck Driver, yes I do look into your c
    A good friend of mine (Wheel Slayer) had a Kona Coiler... He abused that thing riding DH and FR. Konas are good bikes, don't let anyone tell you different. Here he is rockin' the Coiler-
    [​IMG]

Many people, myself as well, get all hung up on the newest, latest and greatest NEW blingy items. I remember not too long ago, many would sell their children for an Iron Horse Sunday. Just think "flavor of the month."

The initial cost of a brand new (really nice boutique brand) DH bike is over whelming.

My first DH bike was an '04 Iron Horse SGS.
    [​IMG]

Out the door at a now closed bike shop called Supergo cost me about $1,200.00. After a few months I bought the Shiver fork that cost almost as much as the bike.

After a while I bought a used Santa Cruz Bullit frame. Had to get a new wheelset too, so I bought a used Mavic Dee-Max wheelset.
    [​IMG]

That frame was replaced by my Intense Socom with 888 forks.
    [​IMG]

After a few upgrades and different parts bought and I ended up with this-
    [​IMG]

So, what I am saying is...don't be in a hurry. Slowly but surely, you will eventually get an awesome bike! Rome wasn't build in a day. I caught the DH bug in '03 and have spent THOUSANDS of dollars a little at a time. My Intense is the result of three years saving and buying parts, one at a time. Regardless, I was usually out there riding every chance I got.

Some parts are new, some are used, the more you ride, the more you will meet people and find deals or connections for items. The key is to ride what you have and have a great time!

14. F4guy

F4guy New Member

I have bought primarily used DH frames for the last four years with no problems. As long as you make sure the seller is legitimate and the frame is a great condition and has been maintained.
    I like The Stinky, but would rather place my coin somewhere else. They are a bit too FR for me. Maybe choose something in between a full on DH race rig and a FR rig? I just built up a Chumba Racing F4 which was amazing. Cornered like a dream - it was a great bike. Ive seen some new ones on pinkbike for around $700. Good deal. I had it built up with saint cranks, Mavic 721's on Hope PII's, Elixirs etc..
    The fork that has been on 3/4 of my DH bikes has been on '05 Marzocchi 888 RC with Flat Crowns and Sunline Direct mount stem. It was perfect for what I was doing, i.e. nothing extremely competitive. I did a few amateur DH races and it was great. A bit heavy, but great performance all around. I weigh 215pnds and am not easy on my stuff. This fork never complained once. Maybe look into an '07 888, maybe even a WC or something along those lines?
    Your 823's would be great for DH use, had them on one of my rigs as well. The outlaws are great and very sturdy as well. I dont see how you could go wrong with them except they weight a bit.
    As for gearing, I use a shimano Ultegra 11-23 cassette with a 36T up front, due to the fact that most of your peddling will be at a higher rate of speed and not much climbing. I even removed the first three/four cogs and put spacers in since I didnt use them. Just my $.02.
    Cheers
    Erik

Attached Files:

15. thepilot

thepilot New Member

I just bought an '06 Stinky Dee this summer and love it. For going from XC to DH it is a great transition.

2- I wouldnt suggest putting any higher of travel forks on it though, My 888's 170mm is plenty and keeps the bike balanced. Larger forks will change the balance of the bike and may work, but can throw you off.

3- If your not afraid of doing some work on your forks id go with the 888's, Boxxers also seem to be really reliable but most of my teammates seems to think they are harder to work on.

4- For your type of riding I dont think you need to go out and spend $$$$ on a wheel set, but still look at the better ones because bad wheels can make for a Very bad race.

5- Gearing is all how you feel and what you ride. I'm looking to change mine up right now soon as I can get some money.

Overall Stinkys work great for the price and especially if your transitioning. Hope this helped and wasn't too late :/

16. Drop D

Drop D New Member

Un-Employed
    Slowly

I bought a '07 boxxer team 2 months ago on craigslist for $300

Yesterday i picked up a '08 Turner DHR barely ridden for $1000 (i know the owner)

Next week I'm picking up a Wheelset (Hopes laced on Sun ringle MTX) for $200....

I wanna see how Cheap I can build a great DH bike using USED stuff (maybe not %100 used) :lol:

I'm not in a hurry to build up this bike since my work schedule sucks a$$ :-s