Let's talk about P-Lines

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by MohammedInABearSuit, May 19, 2009.

1. mattmaple

mattmaple New Member

P-line Clean Up Day?

And I thought I was the only one who did that... Not to mention the washboards before the "luge" parts at the bottom of chutes are turning into a supercross whoop section.

I propose a trail (p-line) clean up day. Shovels, rakes, punji sticks, etc. All in favor???

2. NitrOx

NitrOx Suspension Junkie

Suspension Junkie
    whoops, I like whoops!

Will you be taking on the liability for any impending lawsuits and indemnify any participants and the parks from said lawsuits or any other liabilities that results of the clean-up? I think you'd get more participants/help if you did otherwise I'd stay away from it.

3. Geronimo

Geronimo S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. member

I steal bikes
    E Rider Alert!!

Uhmmm, the last time we rode Stairsteps, didn't you walk half of it? :?:

4. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    I usually try to write my full name.

Ohhh, you meant THOSE P-lines.

Nevermind.

5. NitrOx

NitrOx Suspension Junkie

Suspension Junkie
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:

6. 27tat27

27tat27 Two Wheels One Pilot

Offroad fabricator
    Well as I read through this thread i think that the sport is getting more and more popular...!!! so as things grow so do the stuff that surrounds it....maybe a group of people need to get together to help out with these problems... i am sure that if we put a good plan together, these problems could get solved...
    as we know not all riders read this forum.."STR"...
    as ive been riding MT Bike for a few years now and just now using this site as a tool to ride more places and meet more people...and im liking it...:)...and it works ...
    so what i was thinking was "trail rating signs"
    i work in the offroad industry and they're everywhere
    in the moutains for the 4x4 trails ...maybe you have seen them...:?:..if you ride big bear they're everywhere... and maybe we should do it to..
    this is an idea and it would work.... and you dont have to be an STR member to read these signs....
    We as members could come up with the money.. and get them made...we could do car washes or some thing to make it happen... and putting them up would be just part of the ride you take now...
    so what do you think...???
    good idea..???
    bad idea...???

P.S. THE SPORT IS GOING TO GET BIGGER AND BIGGER AND THERE'S NOTHING WE CAN DO ABOUT THAT BUT WE CAN BE MORE PREPARED FOR IT.... AND THE NEWBS ARE GOING TO WIDEN THE TRAILS WITH THERE LACK OF TALENT NO MATTER WHAT...!!! IT SUCKS BUT ITS THE TRUTH...!!!!
    LETS HELP THE SPORT GROW .......:beer:

7. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Yes but it does not last long. I point out the work CORBA did on El Prieto, the barricades lasted about a day.

P-Lines do not bother me I can choose to ride them or not. Remember we are talking a county park here that is surrounded by homes, it has all types of riders, including the neighborhood groms on whatever bike they have. I suggest to ya all that if it bothers you a lot find more remote trails to ride.

Dean

8. Iwannabinsocal

Iwannabinsocal boutique brand elitist

I have a fun job
    I suspect most of the STR members and people that will see and read this thread, are the passionate group that respects trails and more importantly areas surrounding the trails.

This needs to be communicated more widely to mountain bikers who are much more recreational or casual with their riding and really do not see or understand their impacts.

Honestly, posting signs at trail heads that speak to some of the trail etiquette would be helpful and have an impact. I know that is easier said than done given the countless number of trails, however some are more likely to be damaged than others....

Just my .02, but what do I know? I live in Washington!

9. evdog

evdog Member

Unfortunately MTB will always be a victim of its own success. Trust me when I say widening of trails and sanitation is happening everywhere. People will cut corners, will create ride-arounds and alternate lines, and will deconstruct trail features they cannot ride so that they don't have to get off the bike and walk.

The only ways to slow this is frequent maintenance and education. It can't be stopped because you're fighting a never ending battle against the lowest common denominator.

So like Dean said, if you don't like it, go find other places to ride. Otherwise get involved and do some maintenance. The time you spend will also give you the chance to educate people.

10. RideNEtime

RideNEtime New Member

car mechanic
    P lines are a result of over use. So Cal trails are heavily trafficed. I think the P lines are here to stay, but that doesn't stop me from choosing the more difficult path. I think adding obstacles to obstruct the p line is dangerous and may cause someone to get hurt.

11. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    Meh, most of the trails mentioned are the low lying fruit round these parts and as such attract the most traffic. But even I sometimes lack the time for a real ride and go out for a quick loop on them, and typically spend more time yielding than bombing. I don't condone any illegal/unauthorized activity but will say the best way to fix it is with a shovel.:?:

12. Jonnyc

Jonnyc Banned

Studentx

lots have formed in the past 3-4 years

P-lines. what about t&A the STR folks even have videos of their destruction the trail.

13. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

27tat27,

A friend of mine put together a detail map for Sycamore Canyon Park in Riverside. He wanted to put up signage for each trail, but the city would not allow it (no, I don't know why). They posted his map at the beginning of the park, but that's all. None of the trails there are signed. Just beacuse the public wants it done doesn't mean the cities will agree. ;)

14. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Member

Vestal Watch
    The Irvine area of Bommer Canyon has great signs whenever there is a big roll or drop. They also have really nice trails that go around the tougher section and those trails are clearly marked. If you do not wnat to do a drop or large roll there is a perfect single track P-line to take around it.

15. 27tat27

27tat27 Two Wheels One Pilot

Offroad fabricator
    that could be a problem...but if we put a group together to fight for it it could happend ....we mite have to go to the town hall meetings and bring it up on the ajenda and it will take a number of people to make it work but blood sweat and tears ....it could happen.... and some hard work is what are sport is surrounded by....
    IM +1 to start making it happen if there are some others to help out cant do it all on my own..... but ill give it the best try to help start it and carry it on....
    so if there any others let start be getting a group together and brainstorm on the idea and start there...:bang:

16. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    I really wish that threads like this where not posted. When land managers look for ammunition to prove trail destruction all they need to do is point to this thread out...are we furnishing them the bullets to shoot us.

Besides when people post these types of posts, I take it more like "I can ride the gnar line" type of bragging...leave it alone and don't bother yourself with what others are doing and riding.

Dean

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2009
  17. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

Dean, all but one barricade are in effect and working well. The only one that wasn't maintained is the first left where the original trail goes right (and up) and re-connects a 1/4 mile later, just after the cactus plant. That's a tough one as the new piece of trail looks more natural and visible then the original.

18. JamR

JamR Moderator

Senior Planning & Field Operations Manager
    Actually this topic is not something that I hear too many complaints from the land managers I deal with on a regular basis.

Primarily because this is just an issue of education of the user groups, and is not limited to bikes only. P-lines, trail braiding and cutting of switchbacks are done by all user groups (some more than others), but it is also a result of the large number of users on our local trails.

The main issues that are regular topics of the land managers meetings are the use of trails and areas that have been deemed off-limits, new unauthorized trail cuts, vandalism of signs, and non-sanctioned night use of the areas.

The P-lines will always be an issue but might be able to be improved by some brushing, trail signage, and ongoing education.

From the land manager's perspective, I don't think there would be a big battle from the users regarding closing some p-lines. There would obviously be a few people moving the brush to re-claim the p-line, but I don't think we would see any of the aggressiveness that sometimes takes place with trail brushing and signs at some of the currently popular non-sanctioned trails.

For my part, I would love to see Rock-It get back to the way it used to be with only the rock garden to ride up or down.

Even with all the traffic, I personally have not encountered many issues either climbing or descending that trail. The rock garden is plenty wide enough to accommodate two way traffic.

The main trail I'm really cautious when climbing is Lynx, and I always yield to the downhill traffic because most riders don't expect to encounter uphill traffic on bikes.

This is actually a good topic to discuss on the boards IMO.

Thanks!

19. asian fury

asian fury You give love a bad name

Sales Rep.
    Is it me or do the p-lines on rock-it, lynx, etc... get more traffic than any other lines? You can see this especially on lynx. About 1/2 way down, where the trail is wider, the ruts and grooves are worn on either the left or right hand side of the trail, never down the middle where the harder lines are. More people than we think are taking these lines. Cholla is a great example of this as well. On T&A there is a series of rock step downs after the big drops that are pretty narrow and cropped up, so balancing and riding down this line was pretty difficult. This feature used to be in the middle of trail, now it is on the far right and gets very little to no use.

At Northstar, at the top of the harder trails like Livewire, Booster, there is a rock feature and a note stating if you can't ride this stunt, you shouldn't be on this trail. Possible for our local parks?

20. Bonz

Bonz New Member

Plant Poison Oak in the middle of all the P_lines, topic closed.