Latinos carry your passport in Arizona....

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by osmarandsara, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
  2. CA_descender

CA_descender IamHAZZMATTseeMEgroove

Father & Husband
    Yer not the only one Mike, I agree with a lot of what you wrote. My only conundrum .... how do we enforce these laws, cut down on the illegals yet keep the price of my veggies and fruit from increasing?

I love my food!! :lol::lol:

3. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Maybe have some that are collecting unemployment benefits work the fields until the economy improves. Then bring back the Bracero Program.

Dean

4. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    ^^ one of the reasons the bracero program went away was because workers were being treated like slaves. but some kind of guest worker program isn't a bad place to start. and the combined effect of ending that program and enacting the immigration act of 1965 largely created the illegal immigration we have now.

before, something like a half million people could come here from latin america each year--either as guest workers or to become citizens--but after that number was capped at 20,000. and the post-1965 illegals were essentially encouraged to come here- with little enforcement, maybe deportation at worst, and amnesty 20 years later from reagan. kind of sending mixed signals...

let's just say you could wave a magic wand and make the 12 million (720,000 from europe and canada, btw) undocumented workers disappear. talk about economic ruin. they're here because many industries and corporations depend on them, and the politicians--including bush, mccain, and lindsey graham--all realize it. and they understand that this group contributes $7 BILLION a year to social security, although they'll never receive benefits.

and if you think u.s. citizens would take those jobs, you're either being naive or disingenuous. do we need some kind of reform? certainly. but i don't think it involves treating millions of people like sub-humans.

and what if arizona is successful and intimidates/rounds up all the hispanics. i guess asians are next, since they make up about 1 million of the illegals. after them, indians, euros, canadians, etc. till nobody's left but cletis.

i say "good day".

5. Uplander

Uplander Bring it!

The hell with it!

I say just open the border.:bang:

6. jeepr84

jeepr84 Member

I just read all 17 pages of AZ SB 1070 and don't see the word "hispanic" anywhere. It appears that it would treat an illegal from Canada just like one from Mexico. Not only that, but it appears that a valid CA drivers license (or any state that doesn't issue licenses to illegal aliens) is sufficient to prove US citizenship.

Perhaps before we continue to argue this bill, and compare it to the Nuremberg Laws, we should all take a few minutes and actually read it.

Have at it....

http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/sb1070s.pdf

7. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    you don't have to be a lawyer to understand the intent and the consequences of the law--or who it's aimed at. you just have to be able to read between the lines. hispanics are already harassed in arizona.

and, yes, i lived there for a short time (tucson) and have visited many other times. it's not at the top of my list now.

8. osmarandsara

osmarandsara Active Member

Thanks for pointing that out....I'm really relieved to know that next time the state troopers pull over a vehicle full of Mexicans they'll go:

First state trooper:

"Hey Doug, these brown-skinned dudes are possibly caucasian tourists from Boise Idaho and are sunburnt from playing golf in Scottsdale.....'

Second state trooper:

"You know, Bill, you are absolutely right. The law says nothing about singling out Hispanics....Okay move along...next vehicle please...."

(Next vehicle, packed full of caucasian mountain bikers from the OC)

"Okay guys, law is the law, everyone out of the car and show me your birth certificate....I don't wanna see any sudden moves":lol::lol:

9. One_Track_Mind

One_Track_Mind New Member

Landscape Designer (Architect in Training)
    That is one of the finest pieces of legislation written in this country in recent history. My only criticism is that I could not find the words "deport" or "deportation" in the document. I went over it quickly, but it looks like it's only a misdemeanor for first offenses, unless there are drugs, guns, etc. involved. I didn't see anything about sending the aliens back to their country of origin.

10. osmarandsara

Well so I admit I finally did read it in its entirety this morning........this law will be struck down as unconstitutional sooner rather than later....
    I would wager a 12-pack of beer on it......if you want details, send me a p.m.

I do hope the Fed's act soon since I really do love riding in Sedona...

11. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Oz, I wanted to add a bit here...... I just want to say this, I know that an agro stande on this will effect you and you family, and I am truly sorry for that, I do belive however it will be a temporary situation till the illeagal immigration is under control. Rest assured I do not wish problems for anyone that will end up having to deal with the problems that will assuradly come with issues such as this.

Still havent read the rest of the responces yet, but I noticed some mentioned work programs and such like that..... We already have those temp work programs in effect, that is actually were we have alot of problems, noone goes to enforce that people head home or apply for citizenship once the time alotted has run out for their stay.

Like I said, there is a shitload of ways to come to the US legally, people are just abusing a system that is already in place. If your here legally, then there really is nothing to worry about aside from the occasional hassling from the local PD if and when you get pulled over.

There really isnt a need for new laws, we truly just need to enforce what is already on teh books, and laws already state that if you are in teh US illegally, that you are suposed to be deprted back to your country of origin<were you are a legal citizen>. Problem is that new laws have made it so that one and only one agency can enforce that.... Even our border patrol cannot enact a deportation, but can only detain until INS arrives, tell how much bullshit that is.

And yes, as someone pointed out, it does not target a specific group, but any and all persons who are here illegally, demographically speaking though, it will however target specific groups. In the southern part of the US, it will target latino, cuban, and phillipino's.... in the northern itll target the canadian side.

Negetive is, alot of citizens that are here legally will end up having to stop and show licenses, or other proof of being legal in the states.

Positive is, that with time enforcement will drop off naturally as people realize the US has taken a strong stand against illegal immigration, and that we will in fact act on laws, and enforce the punishment that goes along with those laws.

12. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

I for one do not want anyone hiding in the shadows, I just want those that want to stay, to become a proper law abiding citizen, and I would like there to be a way they can go in, and apply for this without the fear of being deported. You make a great point here, they are already here..... but I must point out, that as an illegal immigrant, they are not paying proper full taxs, they are paying maybe sales tax....... But its super hard to enforce any type of payroll tax like the rest of America pays when they are making cash on the side...

I for one, refuse to employ someone for day labor, I also refuse to employ anyone who does not pay there taxs properly. I will not contribute to someone taking advantage of the system if its something I know is happening. If they run a business on a cash pay system, I will want to see a business license before I agree to have anyone do work legal status or illegal status.... If you dont have a business license, your not doing the work for me. I know that sounds harsh, but thats the way it needs to be.

If your visiting the US.... then you are already required by law to keep your passport with you at any and all times.

I dont think asking for a passport is right, thats a violation of civil rights I belive..... But if once someone has been questioned and there is reason to ask for a passport, then I am ok with it.... Specially if on your DL it was listed were your country of birth is, and if you are a visitor, or a resident of the US.

I also think that the DMV has to step it up on finding of flase documents, and if someone is found to hae illegally obtained a license, we should be doing more to enforce some type of punishment..... but tats another can of worms we do not want to open

13. ANIMAL

ANIMAL New Member

i slave tables
  14. osmarandsara

No congressional or even presidential involvement is necessary to kill this law.....a private citizen and/or organization can challenge the laws constitutionality in court.....its up to the judicial to have the last word......

Which sucks, cuz Arizona is now gonna have to spend a bundle litigating this when they could have used the money to create more single-track #-o

true dat......

15. BAD_S197

BAD_S197 New Member

EMT
    What is so hard to understand that being here illegally is a crime by law?

Most if not all countrys have similar laws against being there without a visa or citizenship.

It's been open for a very long time.

16. ezzyride

ezzyride New Member

Research
    I respect everyone's opinion on here. Many believe Illegal Immigrants (people) are the cause of the demise of America. Of course homelessness, drug abuse, abortion, education, loss of prayers in school have nothing to with our demise. It's all the fault of illegal immigrants serving all of us. Hopefully next time you need your car washed, buy vegetables, fruits or visit a fast food joint you ask for the citizenship of the person providing you services. Why do you think California lets this happen? Why do you think our country needs our neighbors to the North? Sounds like you all have the answers. It's easy to write all these horrible wishes towards other people illegal immigrants are people like you and me. Spend a day in the shoes of an illegal immigrant and I assure you, you will realize their life in America is not like you all describe it on here (most couldn't do it). I admit I couldn't clean homes for another and be mistreated and sometimes not paid. There's no way I could work as a gardner or pick strawberries. Trust me I tried picking strawberries once and it was embrassing. Unless you get out there and try these things you won't know. Who am I to sit here and act as if I am superior. I know that from were we sit it's easy to judge.

People use the term "illegal alien" as if these people are worthless. It's all so negative and most descriptions are inaccurate. Like in all races there are good and bad and people on here are choosing to point out the bad. It's called hatered and of course those writing for mothers to be seperated from their children and suggesting childrens parents be deported for coming here to look for a better life will say it's not hatered. Things are what they are and wishing another human being wrong is hatered.

All children deserve the right for a good education regardless of race or gender here or in any country.

I think everyone needs to relax entire families are being deported here in California. This law was signed you like it and I am sure you are all moving to Phoenix Arizona. You will be rooting for the Diamond Backs. Make sure you have AC in your cars because it's going to be one hell of a summer. And those lights flashing on the highway -- Yes, they are taking your picture.

Yes, we need fixes in our country but Arizona's new law is not a fix.

And yes illegal immigration is against the law and so are drugs, drunk driving, and riding illegal trails.

The righteousness on this thread...

17. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    Right On Ezzy! :clap: People may not like the illegal's but sorry! Tough shit! You go pick your own fruit and and stand on a street corner trying to get work! When you get that work, you make 10 times more than you would in your own country. Then you mail the money home so your kid has a shot at a decent life and you return to your cardboard box in the bushes to sleep and do it all again the next day.

You want to get mad! Get mad at all the American corporations sending all the work out of our country!
    That's where the money is and that's where the jobs are.
    Not in a strawberry field. What a bunch of haters!
    :?:

18. Margaritaman

Margaritaman It's just tequila...

Sales
    "Haters" ???

19. Albacore

Albacore 34x18

Fireman
    This will go on for awhile. . .

20. osmarandsara

lots of strong opinions going both ways surrounding this controversial subject.....freedom of speech that's why I love this country so much.....

It will be interesting to see where this goes.....perhaps it will be overturned, perhaps it won't.....stay tuned....but I propose we close this thread (that I started)??? Mods???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.