Latinos carry your passport in Arizona....

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by osmarandsara, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. osmarandsara

osmarandsara Active Member

My fellow Latinos....be careful driving through Arizona.....the cops can now ask you for proof of citizenship if you "look" Hispanic....what a shame...and i used to love mountain biking in the Grand Canyon state....Utah here we come!!!.....

(Although I agree illegal immigration is a problem....not sure if legislating racial profiling is the answer......)

Well I'm glad my kids got to see the Grand Canyon and Sedona.....cuz I for one ain't spending another dollar over there....

Okay rant over....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100423/ap_on_re_us/us_immigration_enforcement

2. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Some interesting comments on that link!

BTW, Roger, even though he is Apache, was hassled repeatedly in the 60s & 70s for being "Hispanic". He was even arrested once because he looked like a criminal they were looking for.

3. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

:-k

So you wont fly either, because the "random searches" of "middle eastern" looking people probably isnt random?

food for thought. Discuss.

4. CalEpic

CalEpic member

I guess we're reading two different laws because the one in your link does nothing remotely close to what you're stating.

Since racial profiling is not legal in any state including Arizona, I'm pretty certain that there are plenty of groups just waiting to legally pounce on the first rogue cop that tries to bend the rules.

Since the burden of enforcement costs will have a serious impact on a lot of the smaller towns, it will be interesting to watch how they'll handle it given the risk of lawsuits for failing to enforce it.

5. osmarandsara

I'm not sure how the Airline policy works, although I think its based on wether you name is on a "no-fly" list, and I have a Spanish surname, not an Arabic name, but anyway I probably fly like once every five years anyway but I will consider the Greyhound next time I need to fly somewhere...:lol:

6. CA_descender

CA_descender IamHAZZMATTseeMEgroove

Father & Husband
    I am surprised that has not happened more often with him. He does look like trouble.;)

7. Xcdude

Xcdude Member

No work all play.
    those laws are total bullshit. There will be kids loosing their mothers and it will only create a trash trail. I agree that immigration is a problem that needs to be adressed and taken care of but that's not the way to fix it. It will only create racial tension... Looks like all these years of oppresion have not taught no one anything... That's very socially irresponsible and it hurts my heart to know that the country I love and that Is the land of Freedom for many, has to turn out to be such a shit hole in some instances.. Why don't they start with all the Gangsters, Drugdealers, Rapist, swindlers and so on??... no no no they have to start with the mothers driving their kids to school so that they can become something and pay their ****ing taxes... I just don't like what society is turning out to be.

8. osmarandsara

The law just signed by the governor would require local police officers to question people about their immigration status if there is reason to suspect they are illegal immigrants....

Example, my family and I are driving late at night on a lone stretch of highway 40 towards Flagstaff from California with the back of my truck full of camping s*t.....I'm not watching the spedometer, and I get my arse pulled over for speeding....

My entire family is bilingual, and as the cop pulls up I'm yelling at my kids in Spanish to shut the hell up.....

The cop asks for proof of insurance, drivers license, and registration. The officer wants to know why I'm speeding, I tell him in my accented English I didn't know I was speeding....

The officer has had a long, tough week chasing hoodlums and didn't appreciate my lame response. Unbeknowst to me, the officer matches my truck to a description of another one suspected of carrying illegals.....

My truck matches, I'm latino, there's a bunch of little brown kids in the back, Mariachi music blaring from the radio.....

Before this new law: The officer writes me a ticket for speeding and sends me on my merry way.

After this new law: The officer has enough probable cause to question me about my citizenship and/or legal status for all occupants....AND writes me a ticket....8-[8-[

9. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

And as far as I know... a drivers license should do that right?

I mean, illegals cant get drivers licenses... (yet).. so why wouldnt that form of ID suffice?

as a Citizen, im not required to have a passport to go across state lines.... why would you assume you need a passport to drive through az?

10. speckledtrout

speckledtrout Active Member

actor
    There was a Hispanic truck driver pulled over in Arizona last week. He was an American citizen from the Central Valley here in California. He showed them his drivers license. He had a professional truck drivers license and then they demanded his birth certificate. Of course he didn't have it on him. So they put him in jail until his wife could bring it and get him released.

11. asian fury

asian fury You give love a bad name

Sales Rep.
    I think this law will do wonders for the Latino/ Police Force relationship.

Something should be done about illegal immigration, this looks like it goes way overboard. Don't know the details of the law, just what I've seen on Fox and CNN. (I watch both and don't hate either).

12. jeff^d

jeff^d Active Member

http://www.azfamily.com/news/local/...ed-to-provide-birth-certificate-91769419.html

Standard operating procedure to demand a birth certificate?

13. osmarandsara

14. dgaspar

dgaspar I like to burn things

Attorney
    From a legal standpoint, the highlighted section above gives the officer sufficient reasonable suspicion to question you further to determine whether you are involved in a crime that is independent of your own legal status (ie. trafficking illegals). The fact that you are hispanic supports the officer's reasonable suspicion but is not the only factor for him to question you. If your race was the only factor, it would be illegal as racial profiling has been determined to be unconstitutional by the US Supreme Court.

The simple fact is that the new law does not legalize racial profiling. In fact, it cannot legalize it given the US Supreme Court precedent to the contrary. Officers must have some objective reason to investigate someone's immigration status and cannot stop and question someone simply because they look hispanic.

15. osmarandsara

Well i'm not an attorney but I do know this, this new law will result in un-neccessary harrasment and a waste of police resources....

16. Manny43

Manny43 New Member

blue collar
    Interesting...:-k...looks like I'll have to curtail my smuggling operations 'till this blows over. What's going on in this country? There was a time when being a part-time Latino Coyote, was a relatively safe occupation! :wave:

17. osmarandsara

Okay, so let's suppose the officer has reasonable suspicion because I'm hispanic and my truck resembles the same 4-door Nissan in his APB.....

Before the law, the officer might say my truck matches the one in his morning de-brief and proceeds ask about my citizenship status and that of my kids........I would say, "Officer....I was born in East LA and my kids were born in Santa Ana community hospital we are all citizens" and he would have to take my word for it.

With this new law, the officer is now empowered to demand proof of citizenship and/or a green card....

Maybe I should carry my census form when I drive through Arizona, because on there it says Mexicans are Caucasians.......;)

18. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    It is true that Arizona is not the place for everyone. I believe in strong state rights and let people live in the state that most aligns with there personal believes. I don't see a law like this happening in So-Cal but people move to Arizona because it is a state that supports gun rights, private property rights, and is very conservative law and order state.

Dean

19. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    Same way I visit Utah, but would never consider living there.

20. osmarandsara

That I would agree with 100%.......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.