Latest Red Headed Step Child on the block

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Code Blue, Jan 7, 2008.

1. el_d00der1n0

el_d00der1n0 New Member

Home Page:
    It's one of the problems I was trying to point out in one of the gazillion other 9er threads. I wasn't being understood though...

2. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

It's one of the problems

It is a problem? Raise the bars and lower the seat if you want to do wheelies:lol:;)

3. autoduel

autoduel sandbagger

Architecture
    I'm not against 29'ers, and if I had space and money to burn, I'd probably pick one up just because it's new and different.:lol:
    Sure, sitting "in" the bike makes it roll over obstacles easier. But at the expense of increased rolling inerta, and increased centrifugal force that resists turning. (which is why 29'ers feel like they're more stable railing corners).
    I think the attraction is much like the SS. Simplify.
    If it rolls like a 26" FS without the shocks, linkages and extra frame weight, It's cool. To some that's more important than the tradeoffs.
    Ride whatever you want to get the riding experience you want out of a trail. Rolling over every rock garden with 6" without flinching may get old. We all look for that new riding experince out of the old trail we've ridden a hundred times. If it takes a 29'er or SS......:beer:

I can have 2 bikes, and I've made my choice.

4. el_d00der1n0

el_d00der1n0 New Member

Home Page:
    What I had referred to before was an article espousing the benefits of going half-way with the 650b. What they had said was they had difficulty getting the wheel of a 29er up over things like ledges due to the lower bb with respect to the hub axle (more than on a 650b or 6er).

Then I was sent a video of some guy riding a 9er up a hill over a couple of small rocks.

I'm still ready to drink the koolaid though. I just have to get the wife on board. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2008
  5. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Dicky can wheelie his 9er without a problem. He was concerned about it in the beginning, but he figured it out.

6. Padre

Padre New Member

Inhuman Resources
    Look at my wife struggle at Gooseberry on her 29er!:-({|=

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. northshore

northshore Active Member

It's a gig...
    Padre, that has to be the craziest story I have heard in regards to frame cracks! #-o

8. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Looks like

9. donkey

donkey New Member

The Path Bike Shop
    As soon as Mike is done with his new diet.....we need to go back to Gooseberry. I have some unfinished business with the lunchbox and that drop to offcamber transition thing that I couldn't get myself to do.

I'm getting really into the whole thread-jacking thing......kinda fun. Especially a thread as boring as this one:)

B

10. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

So boring you had to post.:-s

Further hijack. Lunchbox is the worst name for any product ever#-o:lol: I hope they change it before they release it to the masses..........

11. Padre

Padre New Member

Inhuman Resources
    yeeaaaa. and "dambala" is a good name?:lol:

i have many good memories of the lunchbox...an A-Team box to be exact...

let's plan it!:beer:

12. donkey

donkey New Member

The Path Bike Shop
    Furthermore......adding insult to injury.......Under the word "dambala" the frame actually has text that reads "spirit of the snake"....or something along those lines.:?:

As much as I like what Voodoo has to offer.....and I mean that sincerely......their frame naming department needs a memo.:lol:

Let the threadjacking continue!

B

13. Rivet

Rivet Active Member

Seriously, I thought Lunchbox was the coolest name ever for a bike, but then again I used to wear my Butthole Surfers T-Shirt proudly.

14. CPATCRASH

CPATCRASH Enjoy the ride!

Selling the elderly hopes and dreams
    I have had somewhere between 10 and 15 2" wheeled bikes. I got my first 29er ss about two years ago. It is rigid and it just felt great. I then got a geared hard tail with front suspension. Also felt great. Then I felt like I was missing something and bought a Iron Horse 6Point8. The bike is a ton of fun down hill but I suffer way to much on the climbs. If it isn't sold now it will be for sale very soon for a full suspension 29er. Someone pass me some more KoolAid please!

15. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    It was called KoolAid long before that massacre.

16. Big Guy

Big Guy New Member

Engineer
    Just bought the Kona Hei Hei 29er. My first ride with it was the 50 miles ride. I like the bigger bike feel, the handling is really good. It is perfect on rolling hills where it keeps its momentum better than my 26". climbing up Mathis I noticed that it requires less efforts to roll over rocks where on a 26" you need to lift the front wheel. Because of the larger wheels, I seem to feel less of the small trail bumps. The bike has great traction and maneuvers as well as my 26". Going down Coyote, I was flying, the bike maintains its speed, the short climbs were rolled over without hardly slowing down.

The only negative: On long steep climbs, the granny seems harder to push. it feels about 1 gear higher than my 26". It is the only place I noticed a difference.

17. CPATCRASH

CPATCRASH Enjoy the ride!

Selling the elderly hopes and dreams
    The only negative: On long steep climbs, the granny seems harder to push. it feels about 1 gear higher than my 26". It is the only place I noticed a difference.[/QUOTE]

You could always get a smaller granny ring.

18. el_d00der1n0

el_d00der1n0 New Member

Home Page:

Awesome pics, but you're still missing the point. I'm talking about stuff you can't just roll over. I get it: the 9er can roll over anything. What about those steep, sharp 1' high waterbar rock ledges? Is it not a little more difficult to pop the front up and over?

19. donkey

donkey New Member

The Path Bike Shop
    The pics do little justice to the type of terrain found out at Gooseberry(where the photos are taken). What you can't really see in those photos is a pair of ledges roughly a foot tall that are barely a bikes length apart. You snap your rear wheel up the first and immediately pop the front over the next. That type of move is a dime a dozen out there.

B

20. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Not a good one either

but Lunch Box:lol: Come'on Padre#-o

"Seriously, I thought Lunchbox was the coolest name ever for a bike"#-o;)