Latest Red Headed Step Child on the block

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Code Blue, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Threads like this (that got hijacked) crack me up.
    http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/workshop/12406-xc-bike-bit-budget.html

People get so touchy when it comes to wheel size (26'ers vs 29'ers).
    I heard the same things almost 20 years ago about Front Suspension. “Only an idiot would add weight to their bike”. Then came Full Suspension. “Front forks are one thing but Full Suspension is totally unnecessary…… only an idiot would add weight to their bike”. Disk Brakes. “Rim brakes are fine…only an idiot would add weight to their bike”.

Now bigger hoops have gotten the main stream all riled-up. #-o Rotating weight, rim strength, hubs are not wide enough, steers slow, dead felling, none of the DH riders have them etc…... :-s

Let’s sort through the fact and fiction.

None of the racers ride them so they can not be good: Are the racers opinions even relevant anymore.;) I am 6’2” 225 and do not need a 5’9” 135 racer to tell me what bike to ride. As pointed out many times factory riders ride what the factory tells them. I have learned more about bikes from riders and from message boards (like STR:bang:) than any pro.

Rotating weight: Not rocket science here. If you have the same exact rim and tire combo and the only difference is wheel diameter the bigger wheels are going to weigh more. Here is the reality. When riding a 26” wheel you need a wider tire to equal the improved traction you get with a 29’er. For example my last 26” wheeled CC / trail bike had wide tires (and rims). I had a 2.25 in the rear and 2.35 in the front. On my 29’er I run a 2.1 in the rear and 2.25 in the front and it has better traction than the 26” combo.

Also let’s look at this. A Stan’s Flow 26” wheel weighs 470g and the 29’er is 525g (55g difference) The weight difference in a 2.25 26” tire and a 2.1 29” is between 50g and 100g. Take into account the longer spokes etc… I say it is a wash.

Rim strength: I rarely ruined rims any of my 26” wheeled bikes and never have on my 29”. I think either riders bend rims or they do not. Also 29” wheels don’t hit objects as hard (roll over obstacles better). So in theory you do not need as beefy of a wheel.:?:

29’ers are not good for DH’ing: Agree. There are not any DH forks, rims or tires. If the fork manufactures come out with more Trail forks then you may see more DH forks in the future.

Hubs are not wide enough for 29’ers. Agree. And they are also not wide enough for 26” wheels.#-o The shell width was decreased when disk brakes were introduced.

Ok this long rant is almost over. :clap: Bottom line is that there is nothing wrong with 26” wheeled bikes and 29” wheeled bikes. There is a place in the market for both (and there should be).

Right now IMHO the best fit for a 29’er is SS’ers, endurance racers and any CC/ Trail rider over 6” tall. For taller riders you will get the feeling that you finally have a bike that fits you.:)

2. foofighter

foofighter Ride More Talk Less

this is Doug's Manifesto! Read it and live it! :)

3. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    You don't have to be tall to enjoy a 29er.

But, give it time. The manufacturers are offering more and more each year (after claiming, "No, we will never make that.").

Ride what you want! I don't bash any other kind of bike just because I don't have one or haven't tried it. Whatever makes you happy!

4. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Duan

you are funny:lol:

5. katonk

katonk .

Or just ride a 26 wheel with a lower tire pressure?

6. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Correct

you do not have to be tall. Again IMO riding a 29'er is an option if you are under 6' and nessary if you are over 6'.

Easy now....just painting some broad strokes8-[:)

7. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Or a

29'er with lower pressure:?:;)

8. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Thanks Doug. You just made my pending sales of 26'ers that much harder.

9. northshore

northshore Active Member

It's a gig...
    If 2WheelLee is willing to chime in, I remember him talking about this subject. I'm curious from his standpoint as well. It would help us SS folks out. Like FooFighter, I thought about switching to a 29er SS but stuck with a 26 due to budget and lack of parts I had.

10. station

station Is this thing on?

Seriously. I have to back you up here. People who think it's a fad should try one out. I would love to get more people into it and drive the cost down a little. Cheers!

11. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Oh gawd no!

If 2WheelLee is willing to chime in;)

12. jschwart73

jschwart73 New Member

Necessary? Wow, I'd better just quit riding and go back to racing RC cars since I only have a 26'er at 6'1" and 200lbs. I must not be having any fun at all and just didn't notice...

13. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Have you.....

spent any time on the big hoops:?:

14. katonk

katonk .

Take an old derailleur, or any other weight and tie it to the end of a string. Hold the string at about 2 feet away from the weight and swing it in a circle for a minute or two. Now hold it about 3 feet away and do the same. Which one do you think requires more energy to swing around?

This is not really a pro or con argument for 29ers. My point is that the total weight is not the only thing that is important on wheel system. The relative position and distance from the center matter as well.

And just as a quibble, I think there is actual rocket science involved here. :)

15. SheDevil

SheDevil I just ride my bike....

I drooled over the Ellsworth Evolve 29'r at the Paths little shindig. I'd definitely go that way for my next bike....for what it's worth :)

16. PacMan

PacMan New Member

I like turtles.

Well, we should all go back to 24 inchers then. Heck, let's knock it all the way down to 20 inchers. We'll be FLYING down the trail with that low rotational weight!!!!!;):)

17. jschwart73

jschwart73 New Member

Nope, but, and I might be going out on a limb here, I imagine you pedal and the bike goes forward over the path you've chosen, like a 26er does when pedaled, no?

I get it, you think 29ers are great and that everyone should try one, however, saying something like "necessary", as if it's mandatory that anyone over 6' MUST ride a 29er, is silly.

18. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    This thread should be fun for a Monday.

19. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Ok

What is further out than the tire:?: I understand your point if we are talking about hubs :)

20. Collette

Collette New Member

Or just ride whatever bike you have now and be happy with it, it's a crazy idea, but it just might work.