Late night healthy food?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by GravityGear, Apr 28, 2010.

1. GravityGear

GravityGear New Member

Bike Tech
    does anyone know of a place that has healthy food late? i'm trying to support the girlfriend with her diet, but we quite often find ourselves out late and hungry with nowhere to eat.

2. F4guy

F4guy New Member

I dont know about places to go, but making your own stuff is healthy and more fun than just getting in the car. Maybe make some hummus and dip veggies in it, or something like that. Stuff like that stores easily and you can just nom on it late-night at home. Cheap and healthy.

3. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Many fast food places have salads and lo cal dressing (McDonalds, Jack in the Box, Carl's Jr., etc.). You can also order Grilled Chicken Breast sandwiches and ditch the mayo and some of the bread! I myself like Taco Bell Bean Burritos (the Al Fresco has no cheese and is less calories).

4. paulbschmidt

paulbschmidt KNEEL BEFORE ZOD

Vice President of Loaded Precision Products, speci
    Home Page:
    Be careful with those salads from fast food places, sometimes they have double the calories they should. I would suggest hitting a farmers market (Orange County Market Place in Costa Mesa at the Fairgrounds on Sats and Sundays has awesome produce) and pre-making some snacks, salads and mixtures at the beginning of the week and then tupper-waring them to eat as you need every other day or so.

PBS

5. OB1

OB1 You're a Member

Realtor
    Home Page:
    I like the 24hr Albertos in Escondido. Carne asada with guac, sour cream, and cheese. Wash it down with horchata. Then go to a 24hr Ralphs and bring your wife home a Smart Ones microwave meal. All in all....a good trip!

6. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Besides Mexican, I have a buddy who orders a Carne Asada Quesaburritto. He asks them to take a Carne Asada Burrutio and wrap it in a quesadilla. And the do it.

Asian places are open late.

There's always Lee's Sanwiches. Sure it's sanwiches on white french bread. But you could do much worse.

Tasty Garden is open to 2am. I've had vegetarian mushroom/tofu dish here once and it was good.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/tasty-garden-westminster

Thai restaurants in Hollywood are often open to 2am or beyond.

7. Xcdude

Xcdude Member

No work all play.
    well, to support the diet.. Something that works well for me is not to eat anything past 4 pm and if I get hungry have some fruit, but no lactose products as well as other solid foods. this is only both of your schedules allow it...other than that fish is an excellent evening meal or soup(chicken, and fish)

8. KonaDawgDeluxe

KonaDawgDeluxe REKE/DMC

construction estimator/Project MGR
    At Wendy's you can substitute the fries for a baked potato or salad. So, for a healthier NOT healthy late night meal you can order one of their chicken sandwiches and hold the mayo and/or dressing sauce and substitute the fries for the salad (hold the dressing) or a baked potato (no butter and sour cream- you can add Tabasco sauce or a little ketchup). A brewed iced tea for the drink. ;)

9. zioncoming79

zioncoming79 Old Man Dead

a business bank SVP
    Honestly, you need to prepare for this before you make the quick dash to a fast food joint at midnight. Have readily available healthy foods at home. Light popcorn, a bowl of Cherrios w/ fruit (a few too many carbs for the evening though), veggie sticks with ranch dressing or hummus, a protein shake, etc. Sometimes all you need is a glass of water to fill your stomach.

A diet that consist of late night eating, then sleeping within an hour or too will not help weight loss. She just needs to modify her eating habits. And if you don't need to lose weight, you need to support her endevor by changing your habits too. Isin't it true that most couples (married or not) typcially have the same body type? it's because their habits are the same.

"Food" for thought.:wave:

10. zioncoming79

a business bank SVP
    Exactly

11. OB1

OB1 You're a Member

Realtor
    Home Page:
    :eek::eek::eek::bang::bang::bang:

12. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I make dinner and lunch at the same time (left overs). Could add to that by making an extra dinner as well. Lots of grill/cook time, but if you want to change your nutrition it's somewhat of a necessity IMO.

If you just need to tide yourselves over until you get home to cook - an apple, handful of nuts, maybe some dried fruit (with NO added sugar, etc.). Look for unroasted/unsalted nuts. Roasted/salted adds a bunch of unhealthy stuff. Look for raw almonds, cashews, walnuts, pistachios. Keep it to about 2oz a day of nuts if you go that route.

Fast food and restaurants, even when they try to seem healthy, really aren't. Best bet might be to get a chicken salad at Subway or maybe even Chipotle, but don't get any beans or rice. Stick to fresh vegetables and lean protein.

13. moka

moka Moka Was Here!

there is your problem, "late night" and "food". Welcome to the club :beer:

14. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

I guess from everyone's suggestions, you'll have to make your own and carry an ice chest with you!;) I actually do this so I'm not joking!

15. GravityGear

GravityGear New Member

Bike Tech
    the problem is we are in college and are in our final year. this means late night classes. we usually get on campus at 3 and leave at 10 or so. during that time, we only have 15 min breaks between classes and are VERY hungry come 10 pm.
    maybe we will just keep stuff stocked at home. the food would need to be something low effort.

16. zioncoming79

a business bank SVP
    Yeah, I remember those days. I would go to the pizza place after a night class. I paid for it by gaining about 20 lbs in college!

17. mtnkitty

mtnkitty Guest

There are always options, but you have to be a bit more flexible.

Go get a bowl of pho. Pho places are usually open late, especially in Little Saigon, and a hot bowl comes out within 5 minutes of you ordering. Costs around $6, fills you up, and is fast. I don't know how healthy it is, but seriously, beef broth with noodles can't be as bad as a drive thru burger.

Speaking of which, I'm craving a big bowl of pho now....

Or do what I used to do.... make a huge pot of pasta one night a week, tupperware the rest, and it's a good midnight snack. Haha.

I eat so ridiculous.

18. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    If you are going to eat late nite (ie before bed) you might as well just eat this and enjoy it.....
    [​IMG]

19. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    I have a five word solution to all of life's problems:

"Jack in the Box tacos"

20. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

Me too... you suck.:lol:#-o