"lasik" recommendations

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by sc_nomad, Oct 7, 2010.

1. blindman_22

blindman_22 HAB Crew President

computer stuff
    awesome feeling isn't it?

2. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    Has anyone had their eyes done my Dr Charles Manger at Saddleback Eye Center?
    Has anyone had the "Mono Vision" done?

3. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

No and no. Make sure you thoroughly research the mono vision before you have it done. I have several friends who have had it done and are sorry they opted for that option. ;( I had Lazik done several years ago and am very happy with it.

4. ohyeah89

ohyeah89 LEARN-IMPROVE-TRAIN

Water Biologist
    How funny this thread pops up today - I am going in for my 6 month final eval (after getting LASIK with NVISION/Dr. Tooma). It has been a good experience, for the most part. One month post-op I was NOT seeing 20/20 and things were quite blurry. At my 3 month things were better but still a tiny bit blurry, with fleeting moments of clarity (which is A LOT better than what I was seeing before but for $4K I want to see 20/20!). We'll see how today goes- either I have gotten used to seeing -0.25 or things have gotten better. We shall find out!

5. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    What is it they don't like about it? I will do a lot of research before getting my eyes messed w/ regardless of the surgery....

6. denmother

From: http://www.usaeyes.org/lasik/faq/lasik-monovision.htm

Monovision Drawbacks

As with many good things, monovision comes with some disadvantages. People with monovision may have some degree of decreased depth perception unless corrective lenses are used to fully correct the slightly myopic eye. They may also notice blurred vision in the "near" eye when glancing in the side mirror of their cars or when the vision in the "distance" eye is blocked by an object.

We highly recommend someone with monovision have a pair of glasses made that provide full distance vision correction for those situations where excellent distance vision and/or depth perception are desirable. For detail activities such as prolonged reading, have a pair of reading glasses made that provide balanced near vision. It may be possible to purchase an identical pair of readers with two different powers of correction, and switch lenses to provide the balance to full near correction with both monovision eyes.

Try In Contacts First

If monovision seems desirable, you should try to achieve the effect with contact lenses prior to surgery to determine if monovision is suitable for your individual needs and your ability to adapt. Should you initially choose surgical monovision and subsequently become unhappy with it, enhancement surgery to fully correct the undercorrected eye and reverse the monovision effect is often an option.

People who are entering mid-life and are interested in monovision should discuss the matter with their doctor prior to undergoing surgery. It is surprising how many patients adapt readily and happily to this vision option, however monovision is not for everybody and some people dislike its effect.
    If you are ready to choose a doctor to be evaluated for conventional or custom wavefront Lasik, All-Laser Lasikk, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, NearVision CK, RLE, or any refractive surgery procedure, we highly recommend you consider a doctor who has been evaluated and certified by the USAEyes nonprofit organization. Locate a USAEyes Evaluated & Certified Lasik Laser Eye Surgery Doctor.
    If this article did not fully answer your questions, use our free Ask Lasik Expert patient forum.

7. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    Who did your (unhappy) friends use for their surgeries?

Do to my age and vision...I am a perfect candidate for mono vision and will actually need both eyes done since even my dominant eye isn't clear....w/ that said I know there are millions of people who have had lasik w/ no issues and are happy BUT I am still skeptical (nervous) about having elective surgery on my eyes...if it was something that I couldn't have fixed by glasses (blind) then I wouldn't be as nervous about having it done...

I clicked on your link(not recognizing the address)...I was actually reading that site prior to reading your post....haha

8. denmother

Sorry, I don't know. ;(

I myself used Dr. Tooma at the Ontario TLC office. And BTW, if you have VSP insurance, they cover $1100 of the total procedure. My optometrist made me wait 8 years before he recommended the surgery for me. The lasers in the old days were not very good quality and the results were not as good as they are now. 8 minutes on the table and I've had perfect distance vision since then. I do have to wear reading glasses, but it's way better than glasses all the time or contacts!

9. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Is mono vision just one eye at a time? My mom had that for not being able to read up close I think and she is happy with it. She can see fine far away, though.

10. denmother

One eye is corrected for near vision and the other eye is corrected for distance vision. The brain figures out which eye to use and when. How to achieve monovision varies, depending upon the patient's current eyesight.

11. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    Exactly...she may have only needed 1 eye corrected....myself I need both(not bad but enough) 1 for far and 1 for close....

12. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    Come to find out my stepmom had "mono vision" done by Dr Tooma in 98 and she just now starting to wear readers....