"lasik" recommendations

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by sc_nomad, Oct 7, 2010.

1. sc_nomad

sc_nomad New Member

engineer
    Im sick and tired of my contect lenses and just about ready to pull the trigger on corrective eye surgery. Wondering if anyone here has any local recommendations.

Oh, and in terms of corrective eye surgery is wavefront the lastest greatest? I know it all depends on my eyes, but i just want to know where to start.

thanks!

2. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

I had mine done many years ago and am glad I did it. Go with TLC, I used Dr. Tooma out of the clinic in Ontario. Also, VSP vision insurance covers $1000 of the treatment.

3. Makoto

Makoto Outdoor'ist

I had corrective eye surgery done back in 2006 and have been extremely happy with the procedure. I went to Dr. Lingua out in Fullerton (my parents know him from community involvement) and I do not hesitate to recommend him and his staff.

http://www.lingualasik.com/ebranch/

Getting my vision corrected was amazing and I hope you end up as happy as I am about my vision. This may sound lame, but waking up and being able to read the alarm clock is huge. I am so glad to not be reliant on contacts and glasses. Good luck!

4. Mongo

Mongo Chewyeti "MongOHNO!"

measurement tech.
    They did mine as well. Can't say enough good things about them. Although I went to his office off of Jamboree and the 73

5. AKmoney

AKmoney Member

Field Application Engineer
    Dr. Tooma did my LASIK procedure as well. It's been 10 years since I had it done. No regrets.

6. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

What is a "lens insert" exactly? Got any more info?

7. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Dr Tooma here too, but in Newport Beach, best money I EVER spent.

8. blindman_22

blindman_22 HAB Crew President

computer stuff
    tooma is the man. I heard tlc went under so tooma bought out most of the offices. They might be under a different name. I got mine done in ontario. Wife had hers doe in newport

9. jbbarrette

jbbarrette New Member

Risk Control
    Dr. Tooma, best in the business. When I was in the business, we always refered to him. My wife had hers done by him also.

10. stinkyrider

stinkyrider ....BANSHEE RIDER

burden of the state
    I went to Tooma as well. It's been almost a year and I'm still totally stoked on how well I am seeing.

Went from 20/400 to about 20/15 or better. My eye doc's chart only goes to 20/15 and that was easy to read.

11. Jutty

Jutty STR Lurker

Manufacturing/IT
    I had Lasik done in February. I have a guarantee on them, so if my vision starts to go bad they will fix it again. I had my done at TLC in Camarillo. I do still have some light sensitivity though, but not nearly as bad as the first few weeks. It's nice being able to wear sunglasses on my rides and being able to see clearly at the same time! (never wore contacts).

12. Calisun

Calisun New Member

I have two of my close friends whom got operations. 1st friend about 5 years ago and 2nd about 10 years ago. Recently, they started wearing glasses again. I just wanted to point out that it's is possible that you might have wear glasses or contact again after # of years(eys sight not bad as before) or another operations if you are able. Just FYI...

13. FunctionMode

FunctionMode New Member

My sister had LASIK surgery about 8-9 years ago. Took her from "coke bottle" glasses to seeing 20/20 with relatively little recovery time. However, after 5-6 years she noticed her vision decreasing and now wears glasses all the time. Her eyes haven't reverted back to their original state, but she definitely needs glasses to drive, watch TV comfortably, etc.

14. 1FG rider

1FG rider The G is for Gear

Its a secret...
    I went to Dr. Robert Maloney in Westwood about 8 years ago and have no regrets spending $5K. He was highly recommended by my Optometrist and Retinal surgeon at Jules Stein Eye Institute and I didn't want to skimp when I came to my vision. I had PRK (no flap) with Wavefront instead of LASIK because of thin corneas, high prescription and astigmatism but I also had a consultation where one doctor recommended lens implants as an alternative. Reading the other post makes me wonder if the lens implants would have been better, but my vision was corrected to 20/20 in my right eye and 20/15 in my left from 20/-250 and 20/-400. Still no need for prescription glasses!

I had also done corneal molding prior to my laser surgery. Basically consisted of using different shaped hard contact lens to slightly "squeeze" your eyes so they focus better. It was okay, not the same the results as PRK but totally reversible once you stop using the lenses and surgery free.

15. ohyeah89

ohyeah89 LEARN-IMPROVE-TRAIN

Water Biologist
    To those of you who went to Dr. Tooma and got completely custom completely bladeless lasik, do you mind pming me how much you paid and which location you went to?

I've known 2 people personally who have got it done with Dr. Tooma and one didnt noegotiate at all and the other got the same surgery for $1500 less after a few weeks of back and fourth (same quoted price as the other person). I will pay whatever it takes to do it with Dr. Tooma but it doesn't hurt to know that the price is negotiable!

16. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

I went in right before Thanksgiving for a exam and consult with Dr. Tooma in Fullerton. Price came out to $4800......that was after $200 discount for scheduling the proceedure right then and there for mid/late December. Thought about it for a couple of weeks, and decided that it was still too steep. Called and cancelled, they offered to take $800 off(removed the guarantee that if I ever needed a touch up....free service part). I was not offered this option in the first place. Hidden charges that they were not telling you about at first.

They were really nice and caring when I went in for the exam/consult.....but when I called to cancel, they turned into sales people and it kinda put me off. Disappointing to say the least.

I have been putting it off for years waiting for the price to come down.....and it has only gone up. Oh, well.......maybe someday.

17. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I had Lasik in August ~ of 2001. My vision was like 20/400 (2 lines below legally blind apparently - I couldn't see "E"). I wasn't quite 21, but had wanted Lasik for like 3 years, so finally the doc said it'd be okay. I've got big pupils I guess also, so was somewhat lucky that they had just gotten new lasers that were a bit wider :)

I decided I needed an eye exam in 08 for night riding because I didn't feel like I could see. The doc said my surgeon (Dr. Siems that works with Dr. Utnehmer here in Temecula - have been going to him for EEK more than 15 years! I'm old!) did such a good job you couldn't even see the scar/cut at all. I went back again last month and they said I barely even need glasses at all, but *I* feel blind :) I did pass the DMV eye test over a year ago without glasses so it must be okay!

Anyway, IMO staring at a computer screen has made my vision a little worse for the wear likely, but I couldn't wait to have lasik, and I'd do it again in a heart beat. I will at some point want a touch-up :)

18. madridg

madridg Ride Therapy Patient

Medical Device Engineer
    Home Page:
    The steep price has also been holding me back, but I don't want to base my doctor on price, so I've been waiting for Dr. Tooma's prices to come down...but if it's negotiable, it may feasible.

19. 1TrackMind

1TrackMind Member

Sales
    I am getting mine done next Thursday January 13th by Dr. Tooma at NVISION in Newport Beach (Forerly TLC, Dr Tooma bought out the So Cal TLC's-He already had 50% ownership). You should get $1500 bucks off just by being referred by your regular "participating" optomotrest. I am also getting an additional $1750 off for being a San Diego Charger season ticket holder. I am stoked to get it done!!!

Next Friday I will be sans lenses!!!

20. 1TrackMind

1TrackMind Member

Sales
    I can see!!!!