Landis comes clean on PED use

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by mazer75, May 19, 2010.

1. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    Personally, these allegations are all bogus.

Landis is coming clean, but not for the stuff he was accused of? Ok? So he still denies what he was busted for, but says he was using other stuff as many others are.

As far as Lance? Is he doping? I do not think so.

Think about it. What does he have to gain from doping right now? NOTHING. Is his team riding for him to win? No. Will they? No. What is his purpose for getting back into cycling? Promote Livestrong. How will doping help? It wont. Can doping harm his public image? Oh yeah!!

So, Lance is risking a lot more money if he does dope rather than if he doesn't. He already has the big cycling name. He is old. Nobody cares if he wins or loses. All he has to do is be out there and the announcers will talk about him. Whether he is off the front, in the main pack, or in the back. I mean, come on, he is LANCE.

So I really believe, if anything, that he is not doping now.

So, if he is not doping now, after a few years out of competition, training to run instead of bike, and after over 10 years from his first TDF win, if he can still ride like he can, then he must have not been doping then (again this is assuming that he is not doping now, because if he did it would totally destroy his image and basically ruin his life). Sure, he isn't as strong as he was, but who is as strong as they were 10 years ago? Especially when you start getting into your 40s.

So, maybe he did dope back then, but it just doesn't make sense if you think about his physical ability now, compared to it back then.

2. UR2KLOS

UR2KLOS Senior Member

What is the story behind the photo of a frozen motorcycle, and why would this be a bad thing?

3. UR2KLOS

UR2KLOS Senior Member

Update: I found an answer to my question.

Lance was quoted as saying “Keep in mind back in the day there was all this talk that Floyd said he had pictures of a refrigerated motorcycle. Where is that? It’s all a bunch of bullshit and never existed.”

I found this while googling: "But how do they store and hide it during all that time?" Andreu then asked. "I'm sure it's not in the bus fridges." To which Vaughters replied, "It's transported on a motorbike, in frozen cases. Floyd has photos of all of that."

4. CalEpic

CalEpic member

The guy is a piece of shit. He took all those donations and wrote a book proclaiming his innocence. If he wants to come clean he should start with refunding all those donations and buying those books back. To try and throw his team mates under the bus as a parting shot is beyond reproachful. No wonder pro road cycling is as irrelevant as boxing in the eyes of the media.

5. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    Lance probably got a hold of the photo's and destroyed them. So many juicy stories! :lol:
    Lance paid 500K to the UCI to hide a positive test in one Tour.
    Lance poured Floyds blood down the sink when he out performed him.
    They gave him tainted blood to F him up.
    It gets better and better. Lance is a well known prick and the doping rumors always run thick and fast with him.
    Man, I wish I was a fly on the wall at all the Tours!

6. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

It makes me sad when people say "everyone is doing it" because that implies a level of acceptance. Don't get me wrong, I believe that a substantial number of cyclists are probably doping, but I refuse to believe that everyone must dope to put on a good show.

I do not believe that watching dopers puts on a better show than watching riders who are not using. I believe that it is the fight of the human spirit overcoming all obsticles, the pain and agony of incredible climbs, the push you get from the rush of not wanting to be defeated as your biggest competitor passes by. It is the beauty of the spirit upon a bike that makes this such a wonderful sport to watch.

I think it's a travesty that athletes feel they must dope. A bigger travesty is the number of athletes lives that are shattered because of it, not to mention the deaths--do you really believe that a 20something dies of a heart attack in the middle of the night naturally? Or, the story "just put me back on my bike".

However, as my husband said, if the UCI really wanted to stop dopers, they would. There is technology available where you can check one's hemoglobin with an infared censor--they potentially could check every rider as they exited the course, then as they entered the next day with an immediate result to determine whose blood levels suddenly increased, but they don't, so I'm inclined to believe my husband.

That being said, there are dopers in every sport--when GOLFERS are getting in on the doping action, you know you have a problem.

Side note, I think it's interesting that Lance spends more time attacking Landis' character than defending himself and the team, especially at a time when sociological history dictates that the media and observes would be doing the same--seems to be adding a bit of fuel to that fire. I vaguelly recall that someone else did this recently--oh yea, Landis attacked LeMond in the same manner during the trial. But, Lance doesn't lie, well, except maybe to his (ex) wife and family, he wouldn't lie to us.

7. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    I just figure that they all juice. Here is pretty much how I feel about the whole issue.

As prophet Daniel Tosh would say:

"I think pro-athletes should be forced to use steroids. I think we as fans deserve the greatest athletes science can create! Lets go! Anything that will make you run faster, jump higher! I have High-Definition TV! I want my athletes like my video games! Lets go! I could care less if you die at 40. You hate life after sports anyways. I'm doing you a favor."

8. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    Same thing was said about Conseco....turns out what he said was right.....I personally believe Lance didn't win all those "clean"...I have all along....

9. dirtmistress

retired
    :lol: I was just going to tell you to get out of the Roadie forum with your grenades but that was pretty good! :lol:

10. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

Doping is like prostitution; you can outlaw it but the demand for it will never stop. It's too tempting and the feedback is too great (never mind immediate and long term side effects). It's always going to be a chess match with agencies trying to monitor it and modern science will stay one step ahead of detection, for the most part. That being said, Floyd is not revealing what we all already know. I think he's merely trying to drag down with him as many as he can, before he sinks into the abyss.

This just in; Olson twins arrested for doping and mounting...
    [​IMG]

11. Knuckledragger

Knuckledragger New Member

I wonder how hard it is to get a blood transfusion in the back on a Nissan.

Ha ha!

12. glattime

glattime Member

I can see where you are coming from, but in order to say that Lance did not dope you would have to believe that he could destroy all of the known dopers by 6 to 10 minutes in each Tour. Look at the podium finishers and contenders from those tours: Zulle, Ullrich, Pantani, Beloki, Botero, Vino, Kloden, Hamilton, Basso, Rumsas, Sevilla. Every single one of them tied to a doping scandal. Lance has been exceptionally good at evading the doping controls and other than the positive test for EPO from the 99 tour, the trace amounts of corticosteroids in the urine the same year and his association with Ferrari he has managed the situation skillfully. In spite of the massive amounts of circumstantial evidence that Lance doped I still believe that it was an even playing field and Lance is the greatest tour cyclist ever. IF Lance were to return a positive test this year would that destroy his past accomplishments? It is the culture of cycling that is the problem. We need to look to the teams like Garmin that are trying hard to clean up this mess. Doping needs to be fixed on a higher level than destroying every individual that gets caught.

13. UR2KLOS

UR2KLOS Senior Member

I think it would be great if someone thought I was taking performance enhancing drugs. Unfortunately it will probably never happen :(

14. dirtmistress

retired
  15. Rossage

Rossage Active Member

I somewhat agree but i think they should just have an "open" class-like for auto racing. Let those steroid/epo/blood-doped freaks blow up their hearts on our HDTVs! :bang:
    They could do a simulcast of the "normies".

16. back of the pack

back of the pack Member

Home Page:
    I guess the 99 Cent Store bought the stockpile (I got mine in Huntington Beach). I did finish mine and you really wanted to believe Floyd but I guess we know better now.

17. Keith B

Keith B Professional Lion Tamer

Legionnaire of Life
    Posted this on the Cali Tour thread but figured it was worth reposting here....

Anyone notice all the 'Floyd Sucks' graffiti all over the road on todays stage? I saw it in two places even though I only watched the highlights show.

18. speckledtrout

speckledtrout Active Member

actor
    I still think Ashley is the cute one.

19. dirtmistress

retired
    Good opinion piece

Victims of Landis' deceit celebrate confession

By JOHN LEICESTER (AP) – 8 hours ago

PARIS — In making explosive accusations that Lance Armstrong doped, Floyd Landis distracted attention from the ugly truth that he himself left a tornado-like trail of victims by lying and cheating for years before belatedly coming clean about his own use of banned drugs.

Toward the top of the very long list of people whom Landis conned, betrayed, soiled and wronged are the scientists and technicians at the anti-doping laboratory in France who first proved that the now disgraced cyclist was a drug cheat.

Landis and his defense dragged the laboratory and its staff through the mud after it found synthetic testosterone in one of the eight urine samples he gave at the 2006 Tour de France.

Not only did the Landis camp accuse the Chatenay-Malabry lab of botching the tests, of sloppy science and misconduct, but — far worse and more damaging — of dishonesty, too. Lab technicians who tested his urine were flown to California to be grilled by Landis' lawyers in a hearing that eventually determined his guilt and nullified his 2006 Tour victory.

Landis sought to put the whole anti-doping system on trial, turning the tables on people who were simply doing their jobs. "The people doing the testing, the people accusing the athletes, are far more unethical than the athletes," Landis said back then, when he was still living his lie. It is one of many Landis statements that now seem outrageous, even sickening, considering his sudden about-face last week.

It's a shame that Landis' confession that he doped at the peak of his professional career, as a support rider on three of Armstrong's seven winning Tours and after, came too late for Jacques de Ceaurriz. The director at Chatenay-Malabry died this January.

It bothered de Ceaurriz that his lab employees had been hurt and smeared. Had he been alive, the gravel-voiced anti-doping pioneer surely would have joined the celebrations that erupted at the Paris lab last week when Landis confessed, telling ESPN.com that he had used performance-enhancing drugs "in every Tour de France I ever did."

"There were cries of joy," says Francoise Lasne, de Ceaurriz's longtime colleague who took over as testing director after his death.

The Landis case "was quite a traumatizing experience for the laboratory," she told The Associated Press. "The number of questions, the justifications we were asked to supply, were incredible. They really tried to dirty the laboratory. ... For some people, it was very tough."

Among Landis' other victims are those who shelled out $24.95 for his 2007 book, "Positively False, The Real Story of How I Won the Tour de France."

"I have nothing to hide," the first chapter begins.

What a con.

Then there are all those who donated money for his legal defense. A $75 donation to the Floyd Fairness Fund earned a signed "thank you" note from Landis, $250 got a "Winning Fair and Square" poster, and a signed yellow jersey was promised for coughing up more than $1,000.

What a scam.

Those who worked for the fund are now keeping their heads low. One of them who doesn't want to be named because "I want to move on with my life beyond Floyd Landis" said that what bothers him most now "is that we were out there publicly stumping to raise money for him." The person says Landis has not called to apologize.

Nor, says Lasne, has he phoned the French lab. Perhaps that is not surprising: Landis would still be dialing years from now if he apologized to all of those he deceived, including the millions of spectators who watched him race in France and the other riders — some of them might even have been clean — who Landis beat.

Ultimately and saddest of all for cycling, Landis' biggest victim may be the truth.

Had he confessed immediately in 2006 and not strung everyone along for years, then it might have been possible to believe his new story that Armstrong and others doped, too.

Telling the truth, Landis says, has lifted a weight off.

"I couldn't believe how much better I felt," he told ESPN.com.

But he is a crowd of one, the only person who feels any better. Because considering his long history of deceit, his word is now worth nothing on its own.

John Leicester is an international sports columnist for The Associated Press. Write to him at jleicester(at)ap.org.

20. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Good lesson that any accusation can be unfair. Without scientific evidence any talk is speculation.

Leicaster made the same mistake when he wrote "Had he confessed immediately in 2006 and not strung everyone along for years, it might have been possible to believe his new story that Armstrong and others doped, too."

Is he kidding? It would have looked like spreading the blame, a la "He did too".