Lance: The Official Lance Armstrong Thread

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by osmarandsara, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man
    agree these guys cannot let go and i fully understand it. i will never be a world class anything (unless Pain in the arse counts) and when on the DL i almost went crazed for real!its hard but someone has got to shake them HARD and get reason into them.

Re: Barry. i sort of disagree he was showing no real signs of slowing down as was way close to a serious record, he should have stuck around and got his party and danced away. i suspect it owas the off field bs that got him

it'll be interesting to see how peyton does his twilight dance. he's still most def got game and a number of productive years left but his little brother is getting some light on his bump and he may keep around a bit too long from sibling rivalry

2. AlStew

AlStew New Member

He is the man

and really fast

3. Kid A

working 4 da man
    Armstrong to become Ironman

Armstrong to become Ironman
    16 January 2009

Once Lance Armstrong has finished his cycling comeback, his sporting career will turn full circle.

Armstrong has confirmed widely-held speculation that he will eventually compete in an Ironman triathlon.

As a teenager, the record seven-time Tour de France champion was a top-class triathlete over shorter courses in the late 1980s.

But he eventually switched to road cycling, where he has become one of the sport's greatest competitors.

"Whenever I'm done with this (comeback). I can unequivocally say yes to that," Armstrong has told the American magazine Outside about entering an Ironman.

"That's a fact and I get asked that question every day. "I don't know when it was, less than a year ago, that I got some of these Ironman DVDs - I said 'let's see what that's all about'.

Typical of Armstrong, he also wants to be competitive when he attempts the gruelling Ironman distance.

An Ironman consists of a 3.8km swim, 180km cycle and 42.2km marathon run.

The winner finishes in around eight hours and the cut-off time for the late finishers is between 15-17 hours.

"I'm definitely motivated to do an Ironman," he said."We'll go back and I'll be close to 40, but I've swam more in the last three years than before that.

"And I don't want to just do an Ironman, I don't want to approach it like I approached the marathons, I want to do it as fast as I can."

In the three years since he retired from professional cycling, Armstrong competed in several marathons, posting a string of impressive sub-three hour finishes.

Armstrong also based himself on the Big Island of Hawaii for a post-Christmas training camp before flying to Adelaide last Sunday to launch his cycling comeback at the Tour Down Under.

While in Hawaii, he trained on the Queen K highway, the desolate stretch of road that is a key feature of triathlon's most famous race, the Hawaiian Ironman.

4. Dizle

Dizle Gear Masher

Professional Student
    Badass! Can't wait to see him in a tri

5. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Those who quit are weird. That's like giving up on life. You can't be disappointed if you did your best.

Football is a different game. The physical impact destroys the body. Old football pros ... wait there are no old pros.

6. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    OK, Tour Down Under, Don Catlin's comprehensive testing program, and.......

Lance is now engaged to be married to Anna Hansen, who is carrying his child. Rmonatic proposl in Hawaii while he was rsting / training there over the holidays.

Good Luck Lance! We all wish you and Anna and your family the best!

7. KonaDawgDeluxe

KonaDawgDeluxe REKE/DMC

construction estimator/Project MGR
    The guy is amazing. He survives cancer, wins 7 Tour de Frances, retires, decides to race MTB and CX, and after 3 years of not doing the Tour decides to get back in. The guy is superman. I wouldn't be surprised if he wins the Iron Man. He's definitely has the edge in the biking stage where he'll make up good time for the other two stages. Go Lance go! :clap: :clap: :clap:

8. Kid A

working 4 da man
    here we go again...i still feel dirty posting in the roadie forum btw :p Donkey assume u r hitting this again i hope u kick his arse

Armstrong to ride Leadville
    Denver Post staff and wire services
    POSTED: 03/18/2009 12:30:00 AM MDT

Seven-time Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong will return to Colorado for the Leadville Trail 100 mountain bike race Aug. 15, organizers said.

Armstrong last year finished second behind Gunnison's David Wiens, who set a course record in 6 hours, 45 minutes and 45 seconds. The race, a 100-mile competition that starts at 10,500 feet and climbs to more than 14,000 feet, is renowned as one of the country's most demanding bike competitions. Organizers said former Tour de France champion Floyd Landis is mulling a return to the Leadville Trail since last competing in the race in 2007.

9. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Wow, I'll be racing Lance!

10. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    Only two weeks after the Tour de France. Guess recovery at that level is a no brainer. Wonder how he will do this year.

11. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Lance Armstrong, Anna Hansen Expecting Naturally-Conceived Baby

AUSTIN, Texas — Lance Armstrong may be busy baby-sitting between two major races next year.

Armstrong, who won the Tour de France seven consecutive years after overcoming testicular cancer, and his girlfriend, Anna Hansen, are expecting a baby in June.

He is scheduled to compete in the Giro d'Italia, which runs from May 9-31 and the Tour de France, which begins July 4.

"Anna and I are thrilled to confirm that we are expecting in June and our families are ecstatic and grateful," Armstrong said in a statement released Tuesday night. "We are very much looking forward to what 2009 brings on many fronts. We appreciate respecting our privacy, as we are both eager to celebrate the holidays as a family."

Rae Bazzarre, a spokeswoman for the Lance Armstrong Foundation, said in an e-mail to The Associated Press on Wednesday that the baby was conceived naturally.
    Armstrong had three children with his ex-wife, Kristin, using in vitro fertilization with sperm he had banked before undergoing chemotherapy.

Three years after retiring following his last Tour de France win, Armstrong announced in September his return to competition and the Tour de France in 2009. He called his comeback an attempt to raise global awareness in his fight against cancer.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2009
  12. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

One word for Lance, vasectomy!

13. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Lance Armstrong injured

Just heard this on ESPN. Fell during race in Spain , was taken by ambulance to hospital with what appears to be a shoulder injury.

14. mtnbikerfred

mtnbikerfred Super Moderator

I sell industrial power transmission and motion co
    Craptastic.

15. ladera Dave

ladera Dave New Member

Millwork project manager
    That is a shame. He looked strong at Tour De Cal. event

16. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

At least he'll have an excuse to use steroids for the recovery.

Wait...did I say that out loud?

17. shudder

shudder no big deal

Sr. Systems Administrator - Disney Animation
    Home Page:
  18. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    don't go french on us, lee.

c'mon. most heavily tested athlete in the history of sports and the results every time: negative.

:beer:

19. Tri_Danimal

Tri_Danimal No More Uphill? :-(

Manufacturing Engineer
    thanks for the update. i couldnt find anything on the coverage of this race.

20. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Don't worry, I'm kidding!

I believe Lance is innocent (except didn't he cheat on his ex-wife?). I don't think he would ever use anything that he could be caught for.