Ladera Ranch Grand Prix(photos)

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by GeorgiaOfTheJungle, Aug 12, 2009.

1. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

After Ontario, CBR is having a race in Dominguez Hills (Sept 6th-they even have a miss n out race). The downside of CBR is that they don't hold USA insurance and only so many points count towards an upgrade from Cat 4 to 3. So if you crash, you'll need your own insurance and once you're a Cat 4, you'll want to focus on USA races if your goal is to upgrade.

If you go to Ontario, watch the line to the start/finish--it looks clear n easy without a real turn, but tends to be the danger zone (even if it's not a prime or final lap).

2. ubermensch

ubermensch New Member

The Ontario 4/5s were filled up a couple of days ago. I missed the registration by just a few hours and had to sign up for the masters races instead. :(

3. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

Get to Ontario early, they usually have a wait list (first come, first serve kind of thing). I think they usually let at least a couple of guys in (we used to have to play this game with my husband--5s fill up fast).

4. heith

heith Member

management
    masters is even better for the first race. 5min shorter and a little safer sometimes.

5. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    I've seen a few of these but I wonder what is the average speed they are doing? Cat3 Cat4 and 5.

6. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

I hope you didn't get into the 4/5s--NASTY crash! I hope all are okay--about 2-3 went to the hospital :(

John said his ave speed at Eldo is 27-28mph in the 1/2/3s, fast is about 29 and they got the ave speed jacked up to 26-27mph when his team was working together to up the pace.

7. heith

heith Member

management
    Yup, no avoiding that crash. About half the field went down in the biggest crash I have seen yet.

When I seen what was happening to the left and right of me I knew there was no getting out of this one. I think I went over two people before I hit the deck myself. when I got up it looked like a train wreck, people down everywhere. My computer shows 32mph when the crash happened, it was the last lap so it was moving.
    I'm fine and my bike just has minor fork damage. My neck, elbow, calve, and hip are a little sore but ok. glad the season is over. Oh and the helmet saved me from a trip to the ER or worse. My head hit the ground so hard I thought myself, "wow, glad I had a helmet on for that........"

8. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

Good to know you're okay. I helped a couple of guys who broke their helmets-neither knew until I asked for them. Be sure to get a new one! :)