Kona "The King" vs. Santa Cruz Blur XC

Discussion in 'The Market Place' started by lukewiens, May 23, 2007.

1. lukewiens

lukewiens New Member

I am considering making an investment over a complete overhaul on my current hardtail. I figure it is time to cross over to a full suspension as well. The King has great reviews on MTBR.com and what I have read about the Blur XC is a bit iffy. Anyway, my budget is around 3 and XT is a must. Anyone ride The King out there...suggestions?

Thanks.#-o

2. roadkillross

roadkillross New Member

helen's cycles
    Home Page:
  3. SAR_boats

SAR_boats Booze Bikes n Boomsticks

consultant
    Home Page:
    Santa Cruz is a bit overrated, IMHO. But that is just based on their warranty (2 years frame only) and that their frames are actually made by Sapa Inc. who also make frames for Iron Horse among others.

Basically Sapa imports the aluminum tubing from, you guessed it, Taiwan. They then mitre and weld it into the bike frame. The finished frames are then shipped to Santa Cruz where they are painted, assembled and decals are applied. So calling Santa Cruz a manufacturer is a bit of a stretch, they are more of an assembly plant and paint shop.

Kona's warranty is better (4 years on frame, 1 year on whole bike) and while their bikes are all made in Taiwan, they are usually overbuilt and very durable

You may want to consider a Specalized. They have a lifetime warranty on frames.

4. jfromlv

jfromlv trail sanitizer

Student
    I would agree with SAR on this. While I like the idea of supporting supposedly local, or smaller, manufacturers, it's hard to beat the warranties and value you get from some of the bigger companies. I currently have a Specialized and a Cannondale, either of which I would highly recommend.

5. guero

guero iFroth

between the two bikes you have listed, here are my thoughts.

having owned a santa cruz heckler, and now owning a kona coiler i'd have to say go with the kona. granted the heckler didnt have the vpp suspension, but after riding my coiler for about a month or two now, i feel like the faux bar set up of the kona soaks up the bumps much better than the traditional single pivot design.

best thing to do is ride them both and see what feels better. you can read the reviews til you are blue in the face but until you ride them and experience how they feel the reviews dont really mean much.

6. maxwell

maxwell Dirty Stinky PATH Love

CRASH TEST DUMMY $#%&*^#
    Home Page:
    Go With The KONA

My daughter Lacey raced on a Kikapu all last season, and also did the Counting Coup on it. They are a real sweet pedaling bike, and the King is about a pound lighter the the standard Kikapu that she has.

I pedal around on a Kona Stinky. I know, completely different bike, but the suspension linkage is basicly the same.

Did that make any sense? 8-[:lol:

7. SAR_boats

SAR_boats Booze Bikes n Boomsticks

consultant
    Home Page:
    Good advice