Kona Coiler a good frame ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cmeride, Feb 27, 2008.

1. cmeride

cmeride Member

Wheelworld has a coiler w/van r for $599 or a coiler deluxe w/fox4.0 for $699. I thought that Kona frames run heavy..Are these good for all-mtn riding like @ LCW or are these just shuttle bikes. I have to replace a cracked frame and these seem a good deal at 50% off.:bang:

2. guero

guero iFroth

i had a coiler deluxe this last year. i rode it around lcwp/el moro/aliso amongst other so. cal trails. if you do buy it, i strongly recommend a fork with a ETA on it. the thing definitely wanders on steep sections of climbs, i.e. cholla and the 'wall' on willow. mine came in at 38 pounds, not insanely heavy, but i honestly didnt notice the extra weight all that much when riding once i got used to it.

3. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

i believe bret liked his a lot when he had it... his was pretty heavy from what i remember, but he still beat me up all the hills and crap :protest:

what he thought about the Kona rear suepension compared to his old heckler
    [youtube]5X8eP7K73Ak[/youtube]

5 beers in
    [youtube]m7lJlFHBxxI[/youtube]

4. CA_descender

CA_descender IamHAZZMATTseeMEgroove

Father & Husband
    The Coiler changed from 06 to 07 but it is still an original Stinky in new clothing. Fun bikes

5. mtnbikerfred

mtnbikerfred Super Moderator

I sell industrial power transmission and motion co
    I waited 5 years (till my Fisher died) to get a Coiler. I have secretly lusted for it after just riding one around a parking lot on one. They are great frames. If WW has it in your size (I suggest you go look at a complete bike), you can't go wrong. It's a time proven 4 bar design. They are the bike allot of resort use a rentals because of their durability/serviceability. They are not the lightest frames, but they are not as heavy as a downhill bike. They can be built up in the low 30's (and climb great), but if you are really talking all mountain, shoot for 35-38lbs. You can get a fork with ETA/ATA.Uturn, etc. or do what Maxwell does, use a $3 dog collar. I don't use anything. I would go for the deluxe for the extra adjustments of the DHX 4.0.

6. Abstrakt77

Abstrakt77 New Member

I have no job
    I loved my Coiler. Keep in mind that it's never going to be a true xc bike or a true DH bike but you can probably rock it at most places (I hit up N* to 22 mile epics in the Santa Monicas with it). My build came out to about 36-37lbs which isnt too bad. I would most def recommend it if you're looking for a bomb proof frame at a great price.

[​IMG]

7. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

in my opinion it is a dog of an all moutain bike, it can be done, but it wont be easy, it is an awsome lighter FR bike and a great oaks bike, fred doesnt seem to have problem riding his everywhere so you knwo it can be done

8. RED5

RED5 Banned

Home Page:
    I recently purchased an 07 Coiler frame, same one as wheelworld has, from The Path and love it. The Path was so cool, they broke down a complete bike to frame and price matched WW (Thanks Tani, you ROCK!!).

One REALLY COOL feature about the 07 frames has to be the rear dropout's. Stock setup is a standard QR dropout w/ standard IS brake mount, but there are 3 other options - 1) QR w/ Floater, 2) 12mm thru axle w/ standard IS brake mount or 3) 12mm thru axle with Floater. I upgraded mine to a 12mm standard and it's so sweet. However I've suddenly gotten a case of UGI and I'm thinking of going for the 12mm floater.

Other cool features - lower leverage ratio= 2.6:1, 66* head tube angle, low standover, massive tire clearance and a nice roomy cockpit.

Anyway, to sum it up I think the 07's are SICK!

9. Geronimo

Geronimo S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. member

I steal bikes
    The coiler is a perfect AM bike in that price range. Don't worry about the weight. Frame weight won't effect climbing. Wheel and tire weight will. You'll love that bike at LCW and Aliso. Try to get it at the path and upgrade the shock to a fox 5.0 COIL or marzocchi roco COIL.

10. theclayster

theclayster New Member

inter at Colliers International
    i just built up a coiler...came with a DHX 5.0 and running marz drop off triple. not as heavy as I thought it was going to be...maybe around 40lbs. i love it, climbs well and also feels nice on some downhill...but I am using it more as a free ride bike

11. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    Does anyone know how this would compare to the transition dirt bag?

I am looking for more of a FR frame that can be ridden up hill than a AM frame. I want bomb proof with enough sus for BIG drop!!

12. mtnbikerfred

Have you seen what Maxwell does on his Stinky? Besides crashing allot, :p he climbs just about everything.

13. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I've never ridden a Coiler, or actually any Kona for that matter, but after this thread came up, I looked at the geometry on their website. If the geo is as it is claimed, the Coiler looks like it is a great handling bike! I'll have to throw a leg over one some day.

14. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

If you're thinking that you want more of an AM frame, is Wheel World still blowing out Kona Dawgs? An inch less travel but still good geo for descending and much more manageable for all-day rides.

15. maxwell

maxwell Dirty Stinky PATH Love

CRASH TEST DUMMY $#%&*^#
    Home Page:
    Coilers rock!

On my Coiler I did everything from 5-6 foot drops to riding the Counting Coup with Lacey. It weighed a scant 35 lbs, climbed like a goat, and was a BLAST on any downhill!
    The ONLY reason it's gone is because I had the chance to build my Stinky, and I'm pretty much able to do everything on it, that I was doing on the Coiler + MORE!
    With the right build you will have a bike that you can do whatever your limits let you do.
    Yes, I believe in this bike that much.:clap::clap::clap:

16. maxwell

maxwell Dirty Stinky PATH Love

CRASH TEST DUMMY $#%&*^#
    Home Page:
    It can take you there.........:bang:
    [​IMG]

17. mtnbikerfred

You needn't bother to ask. It's yours anytime you want it. The same goes for anyone in this group. All I ask is that you respect my gear, use it to it's fullest, and have fun. The Coiler is a large. If that will work for you I would be happy to let you ride it. I enjoy riding other people's bikes too. It's just fun to see what they feel like, and how people set them up.

18. theclayster

theclayster New Member

inter at Colliers International
    See that's what it is all about!

19. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    I'm only a med and am afraid to try out bikes. Makes me want to buy them too much. Want to snag the frame, but would't be able to afford a fork for it for a long time so I might wait until I find a good closeout on a complete

20. Geronimo

Geronimo S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. member

I steal bikes
    Coiler vs. Dirtbag

The Coiler and Dirtbag are pretty close geometry wise. The Dirtbag is different because of it's burliness, and a shorter top tube. I bought an 04 Dirtbag to improve my FR skills and it did. It's a real confidence booster knowing that the frame will handle ANYTHING I can dish out. Plus you can get them with a roco. :bang: