Race Report Knobby Time Series - Bonelli Park - Race #2

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by BoneBag, Jun 23, 2011.

1. BoneBag

BoneBag New Member

Knobby Time Round 2 in the books, and let me just give my thank you to you Omar for putting this on. I'm looking forward to the finale!

2. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    Another spectacular KTS race! Weather was a little hotter, but between the breeze and the fact that it started at 6:00pm, wasn't that bad. The course was slightly different as the rocky drop toward the lake was taken out. The replacement line was pretty fun too! Otherwise, standard fantastic Bonelli singletrack!

This time I came early enough to preride the course and properly warm up. Made a big difference. Finished 5th (my first sport podium since I upgraded in early 2010). Legs and bike worked great. Next week I'll work towards moving up 2 more spots and hopefully do third, or better.

Didn't look like there were any major falls, though one of the expert riders went down and major cracked the top tube of his carbon Niner. Looked like he was OK though! Hope Niner fixes or replaces the frame as such a crack shouldn't happen!

Finally met Omar! Awesome dude! Again, many thanks for putting the series together!

Also thanks to the sponsors! Was great talking to thr SRAM guy (especially since I just upgraded all my mtb and road components to Made in USA Sram - if you need any pursuading just take a look at the machining and beauty of a Sram Red Road Cassette).

Great to also see Cody (who nailed his category - and finished 4 laps only 2 minutes slower than it took me to finish 3 laps). Great to also see Garo again too!

Can't wait for next week!

3. spunout1

spunout1 New Member

Owner, Hall's Engine & Radiator
    Great venue and nice job putting on the race! We made the drive from two directions (so $20.00 park fee) and really enjoyed the race. Too bad a few poor sports wanted to contest my sons win in the High School class, one lady really started in on my son saying that he cheated by lining up at the front of their wave. Wouldn't have mattered...the next finisher behind was three minutes back. She just couldn't understand that the wave can line up in any order and everyone hits the pedals at the same time.
    Kind of put a damper on the time after the race.

4. mr.plow

mr.plow pushit

really enjoyed racing yesterday and seeing a bunch of familiar faces. was a bit warm, think i drank 2 qts of water immediately after the race. got my first ever expert win. should have been 2nd, but as vlad mentioned, 1st place guy took a nasty spill and couldn't finish. got crushed by a kid that looked to be about 17 yrs old, luckily he wasn't in my age group. i was impressed with the organization and trophies. looked like a lot of work went into preparing and organizing the event. cant wait till next week.

[​IMG]

5. spunout1

spunout1 New Member

Must be talking about Cody Phillips....very very fast and smooth kid!

6. dwlink

dwlink New Member

So much fun, hats off to the promoter for the fine tuning and awesome experience! As mentioned earlier our friend on the Niner got a bit bashed but seemed in good spirits. Took my first spill in a few years, getting older is a drag it hurts more... See next week.

7. spunout1

spunout1 New Member

This post is directed to the person/persons causing a big issue behind the scene about what group my son Doug started in last night. Please post the pics you say show Doug starting in the wrong wave. We reviewed the pics that Ken took of each wave with the St. Francis coach and he agrees that Doug was in fact in the third wave as he should have been, yes he was on the very front of that wave.
    Anyone who knows and has raced with him will understand that he isn't a cheat. If this was such a concern why didn't you come over when it was being discussed with the HS coach and the organizer? The pics were very clear.

8. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    Is Doug the really tall highschooler with a greenish bike? (Might be werong about the bike color).

9. spunout1

spunout1 New Member

Yep, he just turned 15 last week! He also races for Sho-Air/Rock n Road on the road. Nice job last night Vlad

Actually red/white!

10. salmartinez

salmartinez New Member

11. spunout1

spunout1 New Member

12. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    Yep, then I can also vouch that he was in our wave (#3) as I was standing right next to him. We also joked about the fact that he definately must be in the high school category since he didn't look like he was over 40 or 50 (the other two categories in the same wave).

13. spunout1

spunout1 New Member

Thanks Vlad, he is just getting his feet (all size 13 of them) wet in the MTB stuff. Hard to understand why some people are poor sports when someone is faster. IMHO...there will always be someone faster!

14. spunout1

spunout1 New Member

Wow, I really can't believe this thing is continuing over Dougs race last night. Now it is turning into a case of Libel, evidence (pictures) has been brought forward, others who were standing and racing right next to Doug have made it clear where he started and these people are still bad mouthing my son (behind our back even though they wouldn't protest while at the race) for starting in the wrong wave. It isn't a big deal other than they are attempting to ruin his relationship with both of his sponsors.
    If it continues on Monday I will be forced to file a Libel case against those involved. I think it includes a person in public service as well as the parent.
    I hate this kind of stuff.

15. just ride

just ride cody phillips

Thanks I was feeling really good that day :bang:

16. Dian

Dian New Member

Holy Cow!! I thought this was a racing forum, but Spunout seems to have wanted to turn it into his own fantasy forum. I have no idea why you have invented all of this drama, but if you are looking for a publisher let me know, because I know several.

Since you seem to want to spew falsehoods in a public venue like a two-bit lawyer without a case, I will entertain you with one posting (unlike you).

Firstly if I was trying to rant about your son’s finish I would have emailed the director, not my friend Dorothy. Secondly, my email to her did not once question your son’s finish of the race last week. I had a question about what I thought was a confusing start. As someone else here commented, your son was up front with the 35+ riders and all the other High School kids were in the back where they thought they were "supposed" to be. Since the start made for a confusing finish, I asked her if she thought it would be helpful to email Omar the coordinator. I attached the EXACT copy to her that I was thinking of sending and she told me that yes, it was fine and that she would not be offended receiving it.

The ONLY mention I made of you, was that you were pretty riled up because there was a protest and made some rude comments. Since you are representing her TEAM (which my son and several friends are also a part of), that maybe she should be aware of how her parents represent her and the rest of us.

When she asked me if I wanted her to talk to you, I was initially going to tell her no, but then I agreed after I looked at this forum and there you go again, making ridiculous comments about people that you don’t need to throw out in a public forum. The lady who "just couldn’t understand that the wave can line up in any order and everyone hits the pedals at the same time"...her son is one of the top Jr. Racers in the state, she does know that, but she did not go on and on like you did. And you continue to go on and on.

And as far as the "picture", it was one I pulled off the internet because when she told me it sounded like you, I told her that I had no idea who you were, so I pulled a picture off the internet of yes, your son.

But hey, I have been out of town on a great vacation with my family since Friday and have not given this mess another thought, while you seem to have been thinking quite a lot about it.

And also, my job, has nothing to do with this other than the fact that I know when to keep my mouth shut as you obviously do not. But wait...you made mention to that because I "didn’t protest at the race"...your right I didn’t need to. I don’t care where your son finished, and I never have. As a matter of fact, you can even email Omar personally if you want and see the email I sent him (the one I mentioned earlier).

Now I am done. Regardless of what spunout comes back with (which I am sure he will) He is not worth any more of my time. I apologize to everyone that had to put up with this very long, detailed post, which I very much regret having to post, but I felt I had to defend myself against P.T. Barnum, and his magical world of make believe. Maybe we can get back to talking about racing again if Spunout will let us....he does like to talk though...

17. mr.plow

mr.plow pushit

Jezz.... this is why i didn't play sports in high school. where's an admin when you need one?

18. robertherber

robertherber New Member

racing bikes
    Gonna be there with the Hospitality trailer set up!!! A HUGE thanks to Omar and crew who also came out and did our race last weekend! Nice work!:bang:

19. spunout1

spunout1 New Member

Really enjoyed both races last week! Knobby Time is on it's way to be one of the best local mid-week races, Thanks Omar! Sycamore XC was a little hard on equipment for us but a great race none the less...we will be back!

20. oalmaguer

oalmaguer xc.Omar

Sales
    Sycamore XC was/is an awesome course!!!!!!!!!!! Very technical, fun descents, bruital climbs, hot weather, etc.
    If it doesn't hurt, then why do it.
    2 pinch flats in the 1st lap, saddle in the gut on the 2nd lap and many, many close crashes.
    So yeah, definetly tough on equipment. Next time I do a course like that, the hardtail stays home.
    Can wait for Sept 10 multi park marathon.