KHS Lucky 7 vs Kona Coilair or Stinky 6

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by McG715, Jan 3, 2011.

1. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    I would appreciate any and all input or comments related to these bikes. I am looking for the best bike for the buck in the price range these bikes. I realize there are better options if dollars are not a concern, but given the prices I can find these bikes (2009 models in the range of 1500 or so), I am leaning toward one of them. I like what I have read about the Lucky 7 overall, and I rode a full blown special downhill model Stinky Garbanzo (apparently Kona equips these specifically for the abuse of Whistler bike rentals) for a few days in Whistler this past summer. I would like something with solid freeride capability but you can also pedal it as well. The Stinky I rode in Whistler was a beast on the black diamond trails but was a pig to pedal anywhere.. Looking forward to any feedback or personal experiences with any of the above bikes.. I am brand new to the forum as a member but have been a lurker for quite some time and have found some very useful comments, tips, advice, etc that members have passed along to other members..

2. SeanC

SeanC Active Member

I was looking into those same three bikes as well with the same budget (around $1500) and ended up with a 2009 SX Trail. I hadn't considered the SX Trail due to cost, but it conveniently fell into my price range.
    The Lucky 7 is a lot heavier than the Coilair and Stinky 6. All three have slightly different geometry. Kinda depends on what you want to do with it.

3. socal ridur

socal ridur freerider

sleeping in
    have you also thought about a scott voltage?

4. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    Thats good info DBack, I appreciate it. If I go with KHS I prob won't worry resale value as a factor.. I have looked at the Stinky Deluxe as well and honestly, I was looking at the the Stinky Six because it seems to come in a larger frame size than the other Stinkys and would seem to help me when it comes to pedaling. I am 6'1" and 200+ lbs.. I am comfortable in the 20" frame size range and need a decent tob tube length so as not too feel too cramped in the cockpit.. I agree I would end up upgrading the fork and that Fox Van R shock that seems to come stock on it and the KHS. Thanks again for the info..

5. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    I've seen the SX Trail and liike the way it looks. I was worried that geometry may not be best for pedaling and the frame size options seemed a bit on the small side, unless I'm wrong.. thanks for the info, I will take a another peek and see..

6. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    I honestly have not looked at Scott but will do some research.. Thanks for the heads up.. I appreciate it.

7. SeanC

SeanC Active Member

I also looked at the Voltage FR. It's heavier, comes with one front chainring, and the spring on the rear shock is way lighter (300# or 350# I can't remember) compared with the other bikes. That's not to say it can't be modified, but my guess is you want something to ride right out of the box. Not sure what you mean by "on the small side" for the SX Trail. It has a longer toptube than the others, and is very pedalable due to the fsr design and rear shock with propedal and heavier spring. Either way, you've got a lot of good options to choose from.

8. bordhead

bordhead Member

i ordered the sx trail 2 and i pick it up tomorrow, i cant give you any feedback yet other than it will empty you wallet.. i road the lucky 7 in mammoth this summer and great bike for the money for playing on mountain . if you want to see/sit on a medium sx trail let me no you can come see mine after tomorrow.

9. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    I was hoping for something decent out of the box that didnt require too much in the way of upgrades and can still handle a little bit of abuse and perform fairly well. In terms of my comment about SX and the frame size, that's purely my percpetion based on what I've seen in pics and the fact that I read somewhere they did away with their XL frame size for the 2009 models forward. I rode an XL Stinky in Whistler. I thought I read somewhere the top tube on the Large SX was in the 21 inch range and the Lucky 7 for example comes in around 24 inches.. is this not accurate? I am just beginning some due dilligence so the info is greatly appreicated..

10. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    I'd love to hear how it performs... where will you be riding that bike typically locally? I ride alot in Santiago Oaks, Laguna Coast Wilderness and Aliso and usually hit Bootleg Cyn in Vegas a couple of times a year as well..

11. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    I was double checking the stats I saw top tube wise and the SX in Large shows just over 22 inches and the Lucky 7 in Large shows 24.1, which is why I was thinking the cockpit in the KHS might feel more comfortable..

12. SeanC

SeanC Active Member

I have a large 2009 sx trail. The horizontal tt length is 615mm (= 24.2") according to their website. It certainly doesn't feel cramped. I'm 6'0" with a 34" inseam.

I would suggest trying them both out if you can.

FWIW, you're not supposed to put anything bigger than a 160mm fork on the sx trail (voids warranty) and I've seen people racing DH on a lucky 7 with a DC fork. If you think you might want to go that route in the future definitely get the lucky 7.

13. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    Thanks. I will take a look at it.. I think I saw that measurement on the Specialized site but wasnt sure if that was the actual length. It showed top tube as Horizontal and Actual. The measurement I used was the Actual, so I may have been off. I am a 34 inseam as well, so if you're not cramped, I don't see why OI would be.. thanks again.

14. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    Great info.. I am def leaning toward the Lucky 7 at this point.. overall for the money (especially considering the 2009 is $1599 vs $2800 for the current model) I'm not sure if I can do much better for my needs..

15. imapodaddy

imapodaddy New Member

Home Page:
    I've got a Lucky 7 you can try out if you're interested. Love that bike. But I never used it to do much pedaling. Most of my time was spent racing DH in Southridge and back in September, I took it to Mammoth, fun times.

16. TKCastle

TKCastle New Member

Designer
    Been on my Azonic B'52/Lucky 7 for over a year now and I love the bike. I had it chemically stripped and left it all raw and it looks cool. The bike climbs very, very well, I took it on some rides to Bonelli and Marshall. Even with all my DH parts it didn't feel like I was climbing a 40.5 lb bike. Point it down hill and it's a great bike for the money, It's not a plow/ eat everything in it's way type of bike but it's responsive and will get you out of bad situations if need be. I even replaced the rear shock with a 8.5x2.5 to lower the BB height and slack out the front to 65 deg. This change made a world of difference in handling. You lose about a 1/4" of travel but its set up perfect and it rarely bottoms out on any SRC track.

The cockpit ended up being really roomy, I'm 6-2 and the frame is Med/Lrg and it fits great. I took it to Mammy, it's hit all the drops went thru all the rock gardens and still haven't had anything bad to say about it. Well made Taiwan frame.

17. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    Thanks for the info... The challenge now appears to be finding the 2009 white model which Adrenaline had been selling. I'm told they don't have them any longer.. have you heard anything about this? In the event I can't find the 2009 I want and get forced to pay full price for a new 2011 model Lucky 7, I've also been looking into the Butcher and Bullit models from Santa Cruz.. any input on those? Similar pricepoint.. Thanks again..

18. SeanC

SeanC Active Member

19. OB1

OB1 You're a Member

Realtor
    Home Page:
    All I've owned is Sundays, and a Jedi. Now I'm looking at the Lucky since KHS is backing our team. I catch myself wondering if I'm allowing myself to be swayed just because of the killer team deal they are giving us. This new design kinda looks like a mini Sunday.:-s I like what you said about the shock change TKCastle. That would bring the BB down to Spech levels.