Kernville "Shuttle Fest" Oct. 18-20

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by redwoods, Aug 14, 2013.

1. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    "Shuttle Fest" is on the Calendar! RSVP! <--click

I was told to book over the phone when I was ready, as they were changing the web site and it could be a few weeks before that was done.

Camping:
    • They have camp sites with tables, fire pits, room for trailers/RV's (tho no hook-ups), along with hot showers and flush toilets.
    • Each site accommodates up to 6 people.
    • I was quoted $42/night per site.

Shuttling:
    • Cost seems to depend on which trails you want to ride, and how many shuttle trips you book.
    • As an example, I was quoted $70 per person to shuttle Cannell one day and Alta Sierra another. (That's $70 for 2 shuttle rides to different trails.)

So, I already know a number of people are interested. Who's planning on going?

For those that have gone before, what should us new to the scene up there know before-hand?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2013
  2. danmtchl

danmtchl danmtchl

Aera Energy LLC- Mailguy
    $70 for a shuttle is highway robbery, I should start my own shuttle service. By that weekend Cannell will be well worked over. It was in bad shape two months ago, I can't imagine it in October.

3. coolbreeze

coolbreeze Looking for the gun show?

Hill Climber
    dude don't be a Debbie downer. Sounds like the $70 shuttle is for 2 shuttles - $35 per shuttle sounds about right. Pat, if I go, then it will be a turnaround trip for me. Will definitely let you know when it gets closer to the actual date.

4. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    Count me and my husband in!! That's my birthday weekend...who's buying me a beer?? ;)

More than likely we'll be lodging. We've only been once w another group. The only thing I can tell you it was a blast except for the loose dirt on JO but I actually think it was a different trail w the loose dirt. Kernville Brewery is good too!

5. jfsh

jfsh chainsaw and shovel

teacher
    I can shed some light on this situation. MRA is calling it the shuttlefest this year because they can't offer the same experience they usually offer for the festival. The main reason for this is that the Kern river had a very short rafting season. I would guess MRA makes 80-90% of their money from rafting. MTB is one of John's first loves but it just doesn't pay the bills. I am fairly certain that he doesn't make much money doing the festival especially when you consider how much work it is to put the event on. This year he just doesn't have the cash to do the event justice so instead he is offering shuttles. October is a great time to ride here in Kernville. The weather has cooled down but the snow hasn't closed the high country yet so everything is open. You certainly can't say that Cannell will be worked over. It could be but also could be in great shape. There is a good chance it will rain at least once by then. If we get one rain storm in October everything changes. If we get some rain on October 17th conditions will be all time. Please ask if you want any trail info or anything else and I will try to answer as best I can.

6. danmtchl

danmtchl danmtchl

Aera Energy LLC- Mailguy
    Sorry my bad,assumed it was per shuttle.

7. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    @jfsh - Thanks for the insight! Hope they aren't hurting too bad.

Jonathan has it right - $70 for both shuttles. Sorry that wasn't clear. It's still a good chunk of change when you consider that they can fit a decent number in a passenger van or similar vehicle, but I'm not bothered by it. Their vehicle, their driving time/gas, and my friends and I show up and go riding. Seems pretty fair to me.

@Roxi - I'll buy you a b-day beer!

8. mike001

mike001 Well-Known Member

The Weasel and I are in, van camping.

Thanks for the diligent work, meistroPat!

9. booger

booger Member

Lets Roll. :)

10. Ladd Jasper

Ladd Jasper Full speed, half blind

I won't know my October schedule for a while yet, but if everything lines up I just might have to join you all. Some of my favorite riding up there, for sure.

My best tip for first timers on Cannell is the classic advice to not be fooled by the shuttle aspect of the ride. You will do some serious work to get to the Plunge. Jfsh can clarify the numbers, but basically it's a ~20 mile alpine xc ride, followed by a ~7 mile descent at the end. Those 20 miles have several strenuous climbs at altitudes between 7500'-9000', though most are followed by some pretty fantastic descents. Not trying to discourage anyone, only putting it out there so you're not unpleasantly surprised. The upside is that for all the work you'll put in, your reward will be some of the most stunning scenery you can imagine. Oh, and the Plunge. It doesn't suck, either.

11. mike001

Everyone deserves a coldie or three on their b-day, rrox :beer: Of course we'll be rolling in large.

ShuttleFest? More like STRfest! :bang:Thanks again to everybody kicking down and sharing info.

12. eteamer

eteamer Member

Fun Have'r
    I guess my crew is going to put off our Cannel ride and go th MM instead for Labor day. Shuttlefest.

13. Bigbow

Bigbow New Member

Sounds like a fun trip. Too bad I already got a bunch of people excited about the OC Beerfest that week or I'd go.

RR requested

14. ridinrox

Realtor/Full Realty
    can't wait......

15. me and my bike

me and my bike New Member

man of many trades
    My bday is oct22 and ill finally be;) 21. I'm in! Looking forward to riding with you old timers. Keep me posted on details!

16. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    Oh sh!t - early b-day party!!! It's on!

I'll have turned 41 just a couple weeks prior to this event, so this guy (can't call myself an old-timer yet, tho I hope to one day) is looking forward to this experience!

17. coolbreeze

coolbreeze Looking for the gun show?

Hill Climber
    this ride requires a bike.

18. mike001

I'll see your piss and vinegar and raise you a wily, savvy and measured, Adonis. :beer:

19. ridinrox

Realtor/Full Realty
    Ha ha....I don't think they'll let you inside the brewery bc you're still under 21 when we'll be there; you'll have to wait outside while the ol folk enjoy a nice cold one after an epic ride, you little whipper snapper.....

20. ridinrox

Realtor/Full Realty
    OK Pat!!...Ray and I are set for that weekend. We'll be lodging at the Kern Lodge (next to the brewery...how convenient), from the 18th-21st. Super excited.........