Ride Report Kaibab Monstercross

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by donkey, Jun 15, 2008.

1. donkey

donkey New Member

The Path Bike Shop
    Saturday was the 2nd annual Kaibab Monstercross. The race takes place on the Kaibab Plateau on the north rim of the Grand Canyon. The area is stunning and has a very remote feeling to it. Very few people visit the area and it shows. Those willing to make the drive out there are treated to huge views and seemingly endless aspen groves. It's awesome.

Anyways......the race itself is 130 miles and 13,000 of vertical gain. The race is unsupported......which basically means that there are no aid stations, no course markings and no on course support. You're given a cue sheet(which you can see on my bars below) with mileage/directions on it. Bring what you need or do without. If you run out of food/water.....bummer. Your only chance for resupply comes at mile 80....you can ride off the course and purchase food/water at a small country store.

Long story short.....we started at 5am saturday morning. The group quickly spread out in the cold morning air(it was quite cold) Dave Harris, Calvin Mulder and myself wound up setting a nice tempo pace and worked together for quite some time. Dave was on a SS, Calvin and I on gears. The basic scenario was Dave pulling away on the climbs.....Calvin and I reeling him in on the downhills. He ultimately pulled away from us for good and we never saw him again.

Calvin and I split up at around mile 40 while he shed some layers. I pressed on and would cruise solo until mile 95 or soo.

I felt pretty good through the Rainbow Rim Trail up until about mile 60 or soo. There was 20 or soo miles of climbing to the country store and I felt every one of them. This was definitely the low point for me.

I made a pretty quick pitstop at the store for water and got back on the trail. I had consumed about 210oz at that point and left with the same.

Got on the AZ trail at mile 86 or soo and started feeling pretty good. The trail is awesome and spends alot of time winding along the edges of meadows. Great stuff.

Around mile 92 or soo I started encountering massive amounts of deadfall on the trail. I hiked/rode through it for 1/2 hour until I finally got out a map/compass and started rethinking things. Figured out that I had made a wrong turn and retraced my steps. I got back to where I should have turned and found Calvin there studying a map. We continued on together and got back on the right track.

The rest of the race went by rather uneventful. I got a flat tire....that sucked. Calvin and I split up at about mile 110 or soo......we were encountering some steep climbs that I hiked while he rode. I finished up the horrible mile 120 climb and hopped on the last 9 miles of AZ trail. This section sucks in terms of flow but was really awesome in terms of knowing that you're almost done. I pulled myself together and rallied this last section as best I could.

Reconnected with Calvin a mile or soo from the finish and we rode in together. Through a series of campfire arguments/negotiations I begrudgingly accepted the 2nd place trophy even though Calvin earned it more soo than me. Dave Harris finished first in 11:20 or soo. Calvin and I cruised through at 13:15 if I remember correctly. Dave Chenault(event director extroardinaire/closet badass) finished fourth and last in 13:35 or soo. There were 8 starters total......the other 4 dropped out at various places for various reasons. Everyone rode a solid, hard ride.....that's for sure. Once you commit to the rainbow rim trail you've committed yourself to at least a hundred mile day. Of those that didn't finish there was only 1 person that rode less than that.....and he hitch-hiked back to camp with 2 flat tires:)

The day was finished off with a massive campfire and loads of ice cream, chocolate milk and tamales. The main draw of these events for me is often the post-ride commaraderie and socializing.....this years event was no exception. The folks that show up to these events are some of the most interesting/fun people and I'm better for knowing them. It's a pleasure/priviledge.

I hope to see some of you there next year:)

Photos:
    1. Rainbow Rim Trail
    2.Dashboard
    3.Me, mile 85 or soo. Happy to be on one of the earth's finest singletracks:)
    4. Start of the Rainbow Rim Trail.
    5. Elevation/Mileage graph

Attached Files:

2. xc burr

xc burr New Member

bodyshop manager/paintless dent repair tech
    about how many racer's showed up?

3. donkey

donkey New Member

The Path Bike Shop
    Only 8 of us this year! Last year there were about 15 people at the start line and 2 finishers......this year we had twice the finishers but half the starters:?:

4. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

wow...I can't tell you how much respect i have for you and completing that whole thing. Great job.

5. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Very nice Brain, don't know how you do it.

Dean

6. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    H0ly sheit. I remember you telling me about this unsupported death march by Grand Canyon. Congrats Donkey. Man, Calvin must be one of the nicest guys out there.

You didn't happen to see any remains of the DNFs from last year on the trail did you?

7. springrubber

springrubber New Member

Glorified Donkey
    That is awesome but insane! :bang:

8. donkey

donkey New Member

The Path Bike Shop
    More photos:

1. Enroute to the Rainbow Rim
    2. Northbound AZT
    3. Dave C....Race Director extroardinaire
    4. Steeper than it looks.
    5. If you miss the country store....this is your water option. Dave forgot his wallet and had to dig in.

Attached Files:

9. Shannon

Shannon ........

Congrats Brian! Great RR and the pics are beautiful. Dean told me you were about to embark on this crazy race, you freak. Glad to hear you not only survived but had a great finish. :clap: Although I think a race like this there isn't 1st, 2nd or 3rd... anyone that enters and finishes is a winner.

10. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Damn. We are in awe of your abilities, B! Way to go!!

(Is the timestamp on your camera broken?)

11. donkey

donkey New Member

The Path Bike Shop
    Last few:

1. Morning after discussions/crotch grabbing?
    2. The Elusive M and Lynda

Attached Files:

12. donkey

donkey New Member

The Path Bike Shop
    Errr.....I guess so!

B

13. tbowren

tbowren New Member

Great work Brian. I was thinking about your race this weekend and hoping for a ride report.

That makes the VQ look like kid's play. Most impressive.

14. donkey

donkey New Member

The Path Bike Shop
    Lots of food.....and an above average tolerance for saddle sores:)

15. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Nutty!

Brian yo'da man!

16. Burner

Burner WAWE

respect!

17. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    Well done man. Glad you enjoyed the suffering.

18. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Good stuff! Thanks for taking some pics and sharing for those of us that don't normally get to see stuff like this ;)

19. jfsh

jfsh chainsaw and shovel

teacher
    Very inpressive

Very impressive! And to think some people over on emptybeer said you would surely perish if you tried to ride Cannell as a loop.:lol:

20. donkey

donkey New Member

The Path Bike Shop
    Hehehehe....too funny.

B