Justice is served II

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Collette, Jan 24, 2008.

1. PacMan

PacMan New Member

Well this is quite the thread.

I had a long reply typed out detailing what I hope happens to her in prison for what she did and said. Then I realized I was just contributing to the ugliness and deleted it all.

I'm glad she got what she got and hopefully she will actually get reformed in prison and come to realize what a horrible monster she is/was for saying what she said.

Here's one for you Paul.:beer:

2. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Blows me away how people are so quick to say,"That's why I don't ride road", but no one mentions about alcohol. That was a major factor of the whole incident, but we focus on something that isn't even relevant. Sexual orientation. Alcohol like other drugs is a big factor in the death of cyclists.

I guess all I'm saying is to think before you drink. 1 beer can dull your reaction time enough where you become a danger to everyone out on the streets.

Don't drink and drive....please.

3. 1FG rider

1FG rider The G is for Gear

Its a secret...
    I gave up on road riding mainly because there's more chances of getting hit simply by careless drivers. To many distractions these days. Cellphones, GPS, dvd players. I've even seen people reading entire pages of a newspaper while driving.

Plus you'll get the a-holes that are intentionally out to hit or scare cyclists. I've had things thrown at me and even semi trucks buzz me when there was plenty of room on the road. Now top it off with alcohol and things can get even uglier. So no more road rides for me.

4. dudevf1

dudevf1 New Member

How the judge didn't give her the max is puzzling? She's driving on a suspended license for DUI already, basically saying FU to the law and everyone else. The judge should not have needed the phone call to give her the max. Even if she were truly sorry and didn't make the comments, she still deserves the max. sentence.

5. katonk

katonk .

Good points to be sure, but in this case I think people are focusing on what they're in control of. I can control where I ride my bike, but I can't control the actions of other people.

FWIW, I ride on the rode almost everyday. I have more problems with soccer moms in SUV's not knowing how to use their rear view mirrors than anything else.

Does anyone have any actual data on bicycle related deaths and accidents? I wonder what percentage of them involve a driver under the influence?

6. lkn2ryd

lkn2ryd Member

Court Advocate, Property Manager
    Zingers flying everywhere. Anger, anger in the air. Sad, sad daughter of some poor sod, now sitting in her cell. Does she actually care? Will she think? Will she change?? Is she somehow quite deranged? A second time Deuce is not a joke (and yes it will get you in the poke.) This girl did laugh at a statement made and now must rest in the bed she made. Rest in peace, good Sir, a cyclist once...and may this thread be done AT ONCE!

A second DUI in California permits the DA's office to charge you with MURDER if you kill someone while behind the wheel. I'm not defending the girl, however, we all are running at the keys with very limited information - REGARDING ALL THE TOPICS. She may be an addict in need of treatment, hopefully she gets some counseling in the big house - otherwise, guaranteed she will come out of custody and repeat her actions. She will become the victim (in her own mind) and drinking will be a sure bet. Can anyone say...REVOLVING DOOR? Maybe she is a sociopath? Hmmmm......

Sorry for the commentary, but I had to.

7. rjrbignell

rjrbignell owed a living

bike shop employee / independant contractor
    Is this a poem? If so you're cheating. You can't rhyme the same words :?::lol::beer:

8. PacMan

PacMan New Member

You made some good points for sure. But--I don't care if she's an addict. That doesn't equal "victim" in my eyes. I know you weren't necessarily saying she's a victim too. I just get tired of the mindset today where addicts are referred to as victim's when their addiction is the cause of a crime. No one put a gun to their head and made them take the first hit/bump/load/toke/whatever.

9. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

I think his point was that addicts may feel victimized in these types of situations, driving them further into their addiction. Often these addictions are faulty coping mechanisms, they know no other way to cope with their problems and sense of victimization, they have some sort of comfort in that which they are addicted--who doesn't want to be comforted in times of need? We are just more addapted to deal with things in a healthy way...their only hope is to break the cycle with rehab.

That is not to say they are not responsible for their actions. One of the first things an addict must do is accept what they have done and seek out way to rectify their actions. But, you cannot accept responsibility if you continue to hide behind the bottle.

Any loss of life is a loss indeed...the whole story is just sad!