Just one of those things I ask every once in a while

Discussion in 'Website discussion' started by LBmtb, Oct 4, 2007.

1. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Website wise - is STR everything you hoped for and more? Any annoying bugs you have? Any feature you're just dying to have? Want to change it from brown to pink?

Community wise - anything that annoys you or could be better?

Here's your chance to rant/complain/suggest/comment/etc!

2. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Annoying: The 60 second delay between PMs. And, 10 second delay between searches :D

It's a great site. Loads quickly, easy to use.

I think IF you wanted you could probably add more to the site (trail reports, reviews, technical bike repair stuff), but I don't think it's totally necessary. Clearly the site is growing, and things seem to be going smoothly at the moment (people following the rules, rides increasing, etc.). So, I don't think adding anything is required unless you felt it was necessary. As far as site design, I think it's okay. I wouldn't go with pink. You might want to make it more "work friendly" (appearance like a Word or Excel document between 8-5?? :D), but other than that, I don't think I have any complaints.

I will say this, though... through this site we've met a lot of cool people, including some new FRIENDS, that we probably wouldn't have met otherwise. We've had the chance to ride in locations we wouldn't otherwise (signing up for rides) and otherwise have met some cool people and been introduced some interesting things.

It's a great community for So Cal and provides comraderie like no other site I've found. I think we all still read/post/participate in other forums and sites, but it seems like this one is just about everybody's fave.

We've got owners, employees, and customers from multiple bike shops that all help each other out and contribute in a positive manner.

Can't really beat that. :)

3. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

people dont asnwer their PMS:-s

4. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

DINO BROWN ANNOYS ME!!! :mad:
    ------------------------------------------
    What I would like to see is a video tutorial section. A way for NEWBS to improve their "skiils" in certain areas....

*Hi, I'm Steppie, today I am going to teach you how to replace a tube..... patch a tube

*Hi, I'm Tani. I will show you how to adjust a derailer while on the trail

*Hi, I'm George. I will show you how to be cool without saying anything

*Hi, I'm Gene. I will show you how to repair a broken chain link
    -------------------------------------------
    I have a few more opinions regarding the website.... They will have to wait. Time for work...

5. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Dino, that's actually a really cool idea! Having people that are in different stages of riding and bike repair contribute vids on that is sweet. That way people can see how bike shop d00ds do the tough stuff, and how regular peeps make do on the trail.

Then we can have skills videos. :steppie: can give mattress hunking lessons:lol:

At any rate, I think that people would be willing to contribute more (product reviews in a separate place, bike maintenance, skills...)

But, as I said before, the forum itself works well for these things also (Hey, what do you guys think of product x... How do I change this on my bike... etc.).

It would all depend on your vision, George :)

6. Burner

Burner WAWE

Brilliant!!!!
    [​IMG]

7. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    There's always possibility of new skins. I've always thought about making a 56k one with no images - that might look more work-friendly. Till then though, you can use the sitemap: http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/sitemap/, although it's very stripped down.

8. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Thanks GF

I am not a propeller head / computer nerd….. so please bear with me……..

• The copy and paste function could use some work. For example if you want to respond to a section of text from the reply to thread window you can not copy the text in the window.
    • Auto format. Sometimes (like now) I like to write in Word and then copy and paste in the reply to thread window. All of the text should format into the same font and size (whatever that should be). I find that I need to go back and reformat my replays if I cut and paste to make sure it is all the same.
    Things I really like are the thanks button and the home page.:bang:

Other suggestions:

• A forum called Turner Corner. That way we can keep all of those whaco’s in one place.
    • Ban anyone originally from New England
    • Ban anyone that has not ridden their bike (in the dirt) in the last 30 days. Riders with physical injuries excluded.

9. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I should've mentioned that, also.

LOVE the Thanks button!! I know some might feel it is abused, but when a post makes me laugh, or there is something pretty useful/helpful, or a good RR, photo, etc. posted, it's nice to be able to hit that button instead of doing a "thanks" reply post, or "LOL" post.

One of my BIG gripes about MTBR is that I go through the effort of doing a RR or photo post and get NO responses. 100 people will view it, but I feel like I wasted my time. Even if I don't get 50 responses to a post here on STR, when I see a few "thanks" at least I know it was worth my time to post because *someone* at least made some kind of effort to look at it and felt it was useful or worthwhile to them.

10. Edog

Edog Member

I think

if we renamed the Download page to Resource Guide or something we could get a lot more people to dump stuff in & use it. I know I have a lot of manuals & maps that I could place there. I think it's just educating users as to the other facets available on the site other than just posting in the threads.

Attached Files:

11. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

I was thinking about this one a few days back. It may help some and it may not be a big deal to others but it sure would help me when I need to do a quick message between all the work I have to do during the day.

How about a drop down window on the PM thing that has a list of all the people you frequently send messages to?:-k u know almost like the Outlook thing. U hit TO and bamm u get a list.:?::clap::bang:

typing the names can get a little too much. sometimes I dont remmeber what the names R!! lol

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2007
  12. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Now that the site has grown tremendously, I'm having difficulty keeping up. People post things that get 2 or 3 pages back and I never hear about it till it's long gone. Missed rides are not a problem, just the day to day stuff. I'm not sure what to even suggest, anybody else have an idea that deals with this?

13. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    Get rid of Stephen Jackson. I think the whole thing is annoying and played out.

The Thanks button is awesome.

14. DirtRider

DirtRider Dirt is good

CPA
    Home Page:
    How about the ability to change your screen name without having to PM the administrators.

15. mntbiker12

mntbiker12 Quest: Singletrack

Marketing Director / Marketing Consultant
    Great idea! :lol:

Also, how about a 'thumbs up' smilie.

16. Steven Jackson

Steven Jackson My loop, my rules!

Pizza Maker/Delivery Driver
    Home Page:
    Get rid of post hores that suck at riding a bike.

17. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

how about a NO thanks button?:lol::wave:

18. Burner

Burner WAWE

I agree with Jose about the PM "To:" field, it would be nice to have a list with check boxes for those you want to send PM's to... along with being able to save a group and send to them.

19. SAR_boats

SAR_boats Booze Bikes n Boomsticks

consultant
    Home Page:
    Hey George,

Coupla thangs...

The insert picture function is a little buggy, when you insert the web address for a picture the http:\\ always appears before the picture. When I remove it from the insert address box it shows even more of the pictures address. Additionally, it is a crap shoot whether or not the pic will actually appear.

20. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

One of my frustration also involves PMs. When I get the little popup that says I have a PM, I click OK to open another window. The popup goes away on the original window. After reviewing the original PM and closing out of that screen, I go back to the original window to continue browsing. If I click out and come back, I get the popup again. Even if I click CANCEL and then click out of the screen, the popup comes back when I go back. It takes a couple times to get that damn popup to go away. This has been very aggrivating. What should I do?